Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Horse Paste for Rosacea?

Default Horse Paste for Rosacea?

There is a growing number of reports that rosaceans in other rosacea online groups are using an over the counter veterinary treatment for rosacea. For more info:

https://irosacea.org/forums/topic/41...e-for-rosacea/

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Brady Barrows
    Join the RRDi

I've read about this and i wonder what the possible side effects are with the other chemicals in the paste?

Good post

The horse paste has ivermectin. I believe it is 1.87% instead of 1% ivermectin content. My dermatologist (who is amazing) told me about it as an alternative to soolantra in case I couldn't afford the copays (it is crazy expensive). She said she tells all her patients that she puts on soolantra about it in case they need an alternative for expense reasons. Soolantra is ivermectin and cetaphil so essentially, you can mix the 2 together yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by Karen m.s. View Post
    The horse paste has ivermectin. I believe it is 1.87% instead of 1% ivermectin content. My dermatologist (who is amazing) told me about it as an alternative to soolantra in case I couldn't afford the copays (it is crazy expensive). She said she tells all her patients that she puts on soolantra about it in case they need an alternative for expense reasons. Soolantra is ivermectin and cetaphil so essentially, you can mix the 2 together yourself.
    Great to hear that a dermatologist was recommending the Ivermectin Horse Paste + Cetaphil as a cheaper equivalent option to the expensive Soolantra!

To make the Horse Paste + Cetaphil Mix to get a 1% solution you need to add 0.1827 oz (5.18 grams) of Cetaphil Moisturizing cream per tube of Duramectin Ivermectin Paste (available on Amazon for about $5 per tube).

One tube of Duramectin paste mixed with a good moisturizing cream would yield about 11.13 grams of ivermectin cream.
    The full 3 pack of Duramectin + 0.5481 oz of Cetaphil moisturizing cream would yield 1.18 oz or about 33.45 grams of ivermectin cream.

Full formula calculation is in the link below in case you would like to check the math.

https://rosaceagroup.org/The_Rosacea...ht=Horse+Paste

Here's an alternative source of ivermectin, on eBay: https://www.ebay.com/itm/10-Grams-Pu...-/113270289767

Quote Originally Posted by Karen m.s. View Post
    Who is your dermatologist?

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Busby View Post
    Here's an alternative source of ivermectin, on eBay: https://www.ebay.com/itm/10-Grams-Pu...-/113270289767
    Hi Tom,
    Found a similar one at Amazon which posts this:

"1 gram of 98+% Pure Veterinary Grade Ivermectin - Aquarium De-Wormer/Anti-Parasitic Agent This listing is for one gram of 98+% purity Ivermectin, in the form of a coarse white crystalline powder. This product comes in a plastic vial, which is then sealed within a plastic pouch to ensure a long shelf-life. General Information: Ivermectin is a macrolide antibiotic/antiparasitic of the avermectin class, useful as an extremely effective broad-spectrum anti-parasitic agent used to control parasitic worms (helminths) nematodes, parasitic arthropods and insects. While some data reveals success in treating Salmonids with medicated food, information regarding efficacy and safety with other fish species is limited or nonexistent so experiment with extreme caution and at your own risk. Solubility: Ivermectin is essentially insoluble in water (4 to 5 milligrams per liter; 0.004-0.005mg/ml), but at 18C (64.4F) it is reasonably soluble in Methanol at a rate of 220 milligrams per milliliter (220mg/ml) and in Hydrous Ethanol of 80%-95% strength (160-190 proof Grain Alcohol) at a rate of approximately 100 milligrams per milliliter (100mg/ml). Application: Given the aforementioned solubility properties, a carefully calculated and even application/spraying of an alcoholic Ivermectin solution to dry food pellets or flake (and subsequent complete drying of the food) would be the most effective way to medicate afflicted fish, which should be done in a hospital/quarantine tank (with activated carbon filter to absorb trace amounts that dissolve in the water), to avoid harming desirable invertebrates/organisms in the primary tank that might otherwise come into contact with Ivermectin-laden feed and excrement. After treatment, water should be changed and the treated fish should be kept separated and fed regular food until all excrement could be construed as safe (perhaps 2-4 days)."

Does this sound safe for the average rosacean to use such a chemical approach using methanol, Hydrous Ethanol, or grain alcohol? I would think the horse paste would be safer. Your thoughts?
    Last edited by Brady Barrows; 12th February 2019 at 05:49 PM.
    Brady Barrows
    Join the RRDi

Hi Brady, most people can buy EverClear grain alcohol, 95% or 190 proof, for about $20 for 750 ml (a fifth) -- this ethanol or aqueous ethanol. Then they would know exactly what they're using -- with horse paste, the other ingredients are not disclosed, because there's no INCI label requirement for this vet-product.

For myself, I prefer knowing what any given product is made of. Plus, horse paste is fairly expensive for a really tiny amount of product.

However, I haven't tried to formulate anything with this ivermectin, so I haven't bought it, because I prefer piroctone olamine -- it has about a 3000 to 1 safety ratio, according to the EU's Scientific Committee on Cosmetic Safety.

That being said, I have to assume that someone who has some experience formulating hot emulsions (oil in water) could make a non-greasy cream with this ivermectin powder.

Some states allow only 150 proof EverClear. Anyway, don't drink either type of EverCLear, IMO, because it's too strong, even though it's considered potable.
    Last edited by Tom Busby; 12th February 2019 at 11:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jedimaster2cool View Post
    Who is your dermatologist?
    She's in Ohio. I don't want to say her name just in case....I don't want her to get in trouble for helping people around financial roadblocks!

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Busby View Post
    Hi Brady, most people can buy EverClear grain alcohol, 95% or 190 proof, for about $20 for 750 ml (a fifth) -- this ethanol or aqueous ethanol. Then they would know exactly what they're using -- with horse paste, the other ingredients are not disclosed, because there's no INCI label requirement for this vet-product.
    For myself, I prefer knowing what any given product is made of. Plus, horse paste is fairly expensive for a really tiny amount of product.
    However, I haven't tried to formulate anything with this ivermectin, so I haven't bought it, because I prefer piroctone olamine -- it has about a 3000 to 1 safety ratio, according to the EU's Scientific Committee on Cosmetic Safety.
    That being said, I have to assume that someone who has some experience formulating hot emulsions (oil in water) could make a non-greasy cream with this ivermectin powder.
    Some states allow only 150 proof EverClear. Anyway, don't drink either type of EverCLear, IMO, because it's too strong, even though it's considered potable.
    Thanks Tom for your ever insightful, helpful posts. I imagine we will be seeing YouTube videos of this soon, 'make your own ivermectin solution for pennies a day.' I think that if I was going to don a lab coat and purchase a chemistry set I would opt for the TXA experiment before trying the ivermectin powder, after first trying the horse paste to see if it actually works for me. But if we do get more reports that horse paste or powdered ivermectin works wonders I am a sucker for anecdotal reports. I did a three and half month trial with Soolantra based upon on the positive reports here at RF in the Soolantra thread. However, I am back on my tried and true method using the ZZ cream and watching my diet, which works for me.
    Brady Barrows
    Join the RRDi