Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Finacea Vs. Metrogel

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Posts
    40
    Country: United States

    Default Finacea Vs. Metrogel

    My derm prescribed both to try. I have subtype 1 (persistent redness and flushing). I'm trying to find something to reduce the persistent redness -- even just by 10-20% would be helpful. I'm worried one of these products (finacea or metrogel) will just make it worse and take months to return to baseline. Although these products are generally prescribed for subtype 2, I've seen some anecdotal reports that it helps w/ redness. Any advice / suggestions? I'm open to non-prescription suggestions as well natural solutions. Thank you
    Last edited by tobyg; 4th February 2019 at 04:35 AM.

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Posts
    5

    Default

    Yes you are right to doubt.

    I also have persistent erythema and flushing and none of those worked for me.

    I m using suggestions from "Warm room phenomenon" booklet by Colin Dahl a former Rosacea sufferer.

    And that is first thing that actually works. I have no flushing anymore and also redness on my cheeks is slowly decreasing. Try that I can really recommend it for people with persistent

    erythema and flushing. I never had papules/pustules on my redness spots and I think that genesis of those is just diffrent from ours. So probably it will not work for rosacea with pustules.

    There is no side effects so it is really a worth try.

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Posts
    34
    Country: Australia

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tobyg View Post
    My derm prescribed both to try. I have subtype 1 (persistent redness and flushing). I'm trying to find something to reduce the persistent redness -- even just by 10-20% would be helpful. I'm worried one of these products (finacea or metrogel) will just make it worse and take months to return to baseline. Although these products are generally prescribed for subtype 2, I've seen some anecdotal reports that it helps w/ redness. Any advice / suggestions? I'm open to non-prescription suggestions as well natural solutions. Thank you
    Hi Tobyg

    I've used both creams over the years. The short version is that neither cream works to reduce persistent redness, except where that redness is caused by active inflammation.

    The long version is that I was prescribed both creams to deal with P&Ps, which often come along with active inflammation, red patches etc. So yes, using these creams did reduce the redness from active inflammation on my skin. But I still have baseline redness caused by blood vessels and I still flush etc. I guess the question for you is whether you have baseline redness from underlying blood vessels or from more active inflammation.

    Personally, I ended up ditching Metrogel and sticking with Finacea, as I can get quite oily skin and Finacea is drying, which I found helpful.

    My dermatologist also told me that Finacea has a lower risk profile for long term use as it is not antibiotic based (unlike Metrogel).

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Posts
    40
    Country: United States

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dutch1 View Post
    Hi Tobyg

    I've used both creams over the years. The short version is that neither cream works to reduce persistent redness, except where that redness is caused by active inflammation.

    The long version is that I was prescribed both creams to deal with P&Ps, which often come along with active inflammation, red patches etc. So yes, using these creams did reduce the redness from active inflammation on my skin. But I still have baseline redness caused by blood vessels and I still flush etc. I guess the question for you is whether you have baseline redness from underlying blood vessels or from more active inflammation.

    Personally, I ended up ditching Metrogel and sticking with Finacea, as I can get quite oily skin and Finacea is drying, which I found helpful.

    My dermatologist also told me that Finacea has a lower risk profile for long term use as it is not antibiotic based (unlike Metrogel).
    Thanks for the info Dutch. I do not have P&Ps and I think most of my redness is caused by blood vessels. How would I know if I had active inflammation? Some days my cheeks are more red than others -- I'm not sure if they're necessarily inflamed.

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Posts
    34
    Country: Australia

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tobyg View Post
    Thanks for the info Dutch. I do not have P&Ps and I think most of my redness is caused by blood vessels. How would I know if I had active inflammation? Some days my cheeks are more red than others -- I'm not sure if they're necessarily inflamed.
    No worries

    Yes, I see your point - what I said is a little confusing as all rosacea redness is in some way caused by an inflammatory response.

    I think the simplest way to think about it is that Finacea and Metrogel are both most effective in treating P&Ps and their associated redness (i.e. the redness or 'active inflammation' that you might get around an ordinary pimple). This has been my experience at least.

    For completeness though, I should note that both azelaic acid and metronidazole have consistently been found in studies to reduce 'erythema' (i.e. redness). For example, see here = (https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/14623704). However, I think that these studies are slightly misleading in that when they discuss erythema they blur the line between pure vascular redness caused by increased blood vessels near the surface of the skin and the type of 'active' inflammatory redness I discussed in my earlier post - I believe that azelaic acid and metronidazole are only really effective in treating the latter.

    As always, however, everyone's rosacea is different and I suppose the bottom line is you won't know for sure unless you give one of them a go!

Similar Threads

  1. Finacea or metrogel
    By estipesti in forum General rosacea questions
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 28th October 2014, 08:29 AM
  2. Metrogel and Finacea.
    By beinfamous in forum Prescription medications
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 3rd July 2010, 10:20 AM
  3. Finacea or MetroGel?
    By WrinkledClue in forum Topical and oral products (non-prescription)
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 3rd May 2010, 04:37 PM
  4. metrogel and finacea together??
    By moomy in forum Prescription medications
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 26th March 2010, 02:12 PM
  5. metrogel finacea questions
    By red_head in forum Prescription medications
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 14th November 2008, 08:49 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •