Thread: Antidepressants / SSRIs for flushing

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Antidepressants / SSRIs for flushing

Hey everyone,

For those of us whoíve found SSRIs / SNRs helpful for controlling their flushing, how long did it take for these drugs to start working? Also, do they tend to help with background redness?

Thanks!
    Last edited by Brooks; 23rd January 2019 at 11:38 PM.

It takes about 2/3 months. It doesnít stop a flush completely but in my case it helps with the burning and the flush is less severe.

Background redness, Iím afraid not, Iíve been left with spider veins on my cheeks and around my nose, which will have to be addressed with laser.

Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Countrygirl View Post
    It takes about 2/3 months. It doesnít stop a flush completely but in my case it helps with the burning and the flush is less severe.

Background redness, Iím afraid not, Iíve been left with spider veins on my cheeks and around my nose, which will have to be addressed with laser.

Good luck.
    Which one did you take? I tried Amitriptyline 20mg in 2015 for 6 weeks. It took 5 weeks before it helped at reducing flushing and tingling pain. In the 6th week because of side effects, mainly extreme sleepiness I had to stop taking it.

Citalopram, makes me sleep like a baby, I take it at night. I had side effects for the first couple of weeks, dizzy spells, nausea, but I persisted and it really helps.

The only negative thing is weight gain. Iíve put on a stone in weight.

I found improvement within a few weeks with Effexor XR. It is not a silver bullet since heat is still an issue but I would say I got a 75% improvement with flushing. My body felt weird for the first week or two (dizzy, nausea) as my body adjusted. I took Effexor years ago before rosacea and I will just say it is not a cakewalk to come off of it. Otherwise it is very helpful for me.

Quote Originally Posted by sg321 View Post
    I found improvement within a few weeks with Effexor XR. It is not a silver bullet since heat is still an issue but I would say I got a 75% improvement with flushing. My body felt weird for the first week or two (dizzy, nausea) as my body adjusted. I took Effexor years ago before rosacea and I will just say it is not a cakewalk to come off of it. Otherwise it is very helpful for me.
    Iím curious whether you also experienced increased flushing at the beginning with Effexor? I tried to take it and had intense flushing after I took it several times at a very low dose. I stopped because of that but I wonder now if I stick with it if it would level out.