Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: something is going on on my skin :(

Default something is going on on my skin :(

.. and it has been like this for a while now. almost a year.

it started with just a tiny red dot, then spread into this weird burning circle on my cheek. it seems to get worse when i'm stressed or when i go out in the cold. the flushes are the worst. but mostly, this is how my skin looks about 80%. oh and sometimes, when i'm flushed, my nose gets SO red and hot o.O

Not sure if these are pimples, rosacea bumps or dermatitis or maybe just some sort of a rash/allergy.
    They don't hurt or itch. They do burn when i get a flare up. Sometimes they turn into pustules, not all of them. Cold water usually helps with the burning, but they are getting annoying and i'm getting frustrated. I have dry to normal skin (dry on the cheeks only), slight couperose in the nose area, and milia. I'm not allergic to anything, or at least i haven't been so far. I'm 38, vegetarian, don't eat dairy, everything at home is lactose free. I drink plenty of water, too. Fruits, veggies,... No alcohol. Junk food and chocolate in moderation, People are telling me they are stress induced, which i have been under a lot more of than usual lately but even when i'm a ray of fu* sunshine, these still wont go away. i'm afraid to put anything on these in case i make it worse.
    havent seen any doctors yet, not looking for a web diagnosis, just some opinions maybe.

any idea what these could be? I tried google, all i get is rosacea type 2, but i'm not so sure anymore.
    Last edited by Slaybelle37; 2nd March 2019 at 10:35 AM.

Hi Slaybelle,
    The papulopustular and rash-like presentation, and how it started as a single spot that eventually spread to other parts of the face, point in the direction of a demodex infestation, in my opinion. I suggest spending some time researching demodex conditions so you can make an informed decision as to whether to treat for demodex or rule it out as a causative factor.

Your symptoms sound like a classic case of microscopic demodex skin mites. Demodex is found on most people by the time they reach the age of 18. A healthy immune system keeps the mite population in check. If the mites get overpopulated they can cause a variety of skin problems. The mites are a common cause of type 2 Rosacea when they get overpopulated. A dermatologist can test for demodex to verify it.

The nose and chin are 2 of their favorite locations to hang out. They eat oil and possibly skin cells in the pores. The mites live on a 14-24 day cycle. Demodex can live anywhere on your body where there is an oil gland. The palms of your hands and the soles of your feet are the only part of your skin they cannot live on. The pustules occur when the mites die off. The mites do not like light. Night time is when the mites are active and come out to breed.

Its important to cleanse your skin 2-3 times a day. Its especially important to cleanse your skin at night. The eggs are generally resistant to known treatments for the nymphs and adults. So it is important to keep treating the condition through at least 2-3 mite life time cycles to make sure that the last batch of eggs hatches and are killed off before they can reproduce. Tea tree oil based facial cleansers and moisturizers may help especially when applied at bedtime since the mites are active at night. Hypochlorous sprays are also helpful - they will kill the mites in the nymph form before they get old enough to reproduce. Borax kills the mites as well in the form of DIY shampoo and bath soaks. 20 Muleteam Borax powder is available from the laundry aisle at your local grocery store. The link below to the article I posted on the RRDI web site explains more.

In my case, I had a severe case of demodex that was misdiagnosed for decades as acne and allergic conjunctivitis (red eyes). It finally developed into a severe case of ocular rosacea. Due to the severity of the eye condition, I took the oral treatment with Oral Ivermectin and Oral Metronidazole. Researchers have found that topical metronidazole (i.e. Metro Gel, or Metro Cream) is not effective at killing the mites. The oral version of metronidazole works.

Here's some treatment options that I posted for Brady over on the RRdi web page:
    https://irosacea.org/forums/topic/41...ex-skin-mites/

Hope this helps.

thank you both! haven't really thought about demodex, i will google about it. i always though it was some kind of weird allergy i've developed all of a sudden, or a dermatits acting up, but i just don't know anymore

a little update

went to the derm on tuesday, yup, it is rosacea she actually didnt even examine my skin, 10min talk and bam, antibiotics! o.O i wanna get a second opinion though i am pretty sure it is rosacea too.
    got prescribed 3 months antibiotics (doxy) and metronidazole in biobase. i havent started taking doxy yet becasue i REALLY dont want to go on antibiotics, but i've been using metrod. for 2 days now and i have noticed my chin is so dry after i shower. no new outbreaks tho. not sure if i should even be using something this harsh on my skin :/
    any of you been on the same meds?

I'm part of lots of rosacea groups through Facebook and people on there are using horse paste (ivermectin) on their face to treat mites with good success.

I wonder if it might be worth trying this on a small area and seeing if there's any good improvement.

Quote Originally Posted by Slaybelle37 View Post
    a little update

went to the derm on tuesday, yup, it is rosacea she actually didnt even examine my skin, 10min talk and bam, antibiotics! o.O i wanna get a second opinion though i am pretty sure it is rosacea too.
    got prescribed 3 months antibiotics (doxy) and metronidazole in biobase. i havent started taking doxy yet becasue i REALLY dont want to go on antibiotics, but i've been using metrod. for 2 days now and i have noticed my chin is so dry after i shower. no new outbreaks tho. not sure if i should even be using something this harsh on my skin :/
    any of you been on the same meds?
    Typical malpractice by dermatologists.

Please dump the antibiotics and get yourself some ZZ Cream (first prize) or Soolantra.

Have a read through my thread - https://rosaceagroup.org/The_Rosacea...rate!-(w-pics).
    How I was cured from Demodectic / Demodex Rosacea (Types 1 & 2 & nearing 3), Seborrhoeic Dermatitis and Eczema

Got a smartphone? Then please post a non-revealing pic of your face/skin to www.imgur.com, instead of using walls of text to describe it to us. It may be the best thing you've ever done!

Just to add to what others have said:

According to accounts on this forum, the most effective treatment for demodex appears to be Nu-stock mixed 50/50 with a moisturising cream, which essentially amounts to ~35% sulfur. Presumably the same effect can be achieved by buying sublimed sulfur (aka "flowers of sulfur") and mixing it in a carrier oil at a similar concentration. It's certainly the most intensive approach, but seems to reduce treatment time considerably as compared to the alternatives, and it's been reported to be much gentler than using high concentrations of tea tree oil.

Benzyl benzoate (at ~10-20% concentration in a carrier oil) is another option. It can sting if applied to wet skin, so it's best to dry the skin first after washing, but an advantage is that it absorbs fully, which means it's a good daytime treatment also (provided that the carrier oil used is lightweight and absorbent, e.g. jojoba oil).

Lastly, it cannot be overstated that a successful treatment is highly likely to worsen symptoms temporarily before improving them, because the die-off of demodex in large numbers causes an inflammatory reaction in the skin. Hypochlorous acid spray is probably the best option to reduce the bacterial load from these die-offs, because it's strongly antibacterial and non-irritating (it can even be sprayed directly in the eyes to treat blepharitis).

You might like to try an alcohol and colour free aloe vera mixed with vitamin E oil and tea tree oil. That has been my routine every day since November, although I do not have demodex.

It is just a generally good concoction and gentle on the skin.
    I'm recovering from Mirvaso-induced skin damage. Ask me about it if you are too.

• Read about my PDL and IPL, with videos.

Hi everyone.
    thank you all for replaying, i really appreciate it!

So this is my skin after 14 days on 100mg/day doxycycline (i have just started with 50mg/a day which is way better for me, because it had me feeling all worried and weird and dizzy and sick ; might be just because i am not used to pills in general - this is my first time taking any pills in my life - and my body revolted in such a reaction)

Anyway, the bumps are gone. i only had one pustule outbreak for going outside in the freezing weather (wind is one of my triggers) but the metronidazole cream seem to help with the faster healing. Now i have noticed some more redness in places it wasn't red before (i wake up mildly red but it goes away when i fully wake my body up), is it possible this is a side effect of the metro cream? It doesn't really help with the redness either, right? Just seem to make my skin burn, so now i only use it a little once a day on areas where there still are some p&p under the skin.
    So today i decided not to use the cream during the day and just use my Avene rich compensating cream that i have been trying out for a few days now and it seems okay. One other reason for this new redness might be the Laroche Posay Ultra micellar water my derm recomended for cleaning my face. I went back to my old Garnier one to see if it gets back to normal. Also notices a LOT more broken capilaires around my nose, not just the sides ones that were there before, but actual inside the nostrils. #WTF
    There is also an increased nose flushing every evening. I have no idea what triggered that but it's driving me INSANE!!! Food flushing are also bonkers; no matter what i eat, my face gets red. I used to only get this one red streak down my face which went away in a couple of seconds, now it seems my whole face gets red when i eat. I have no idea where these things are coming from
    Last edited by Slaybelle37; 2nd March 2019 at 10:35 AM.