Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Rosacea CURED with Acyclovir !!

Brady Barrows
    Join the RRDi

Quote Originally Posted by Nellukas View Post
    Hi. I am not spamming indeed. I benefit in no way from increased sales of Acyclovir.

I had subtype 1 and 2 symptoms.

I wrote the drug description based on the information sheet that came with the package, in which it was described as an anti-retroviral.

I will update the post here, if symptoms reappear. For now, even foods that upset the face before haven't caused any visible return of symptoms after more than a week of stopping the regimen. Fingers crossed!
    Thanks so much for your post. Haven't heard of Acyclovir for rosacea, even though andydoyle found an article about this published over a year ago (somehow I missed it). Please keep us posted on whether your rosacea comes back or how long you have had clearance. We have so many who come and report 'this cured my rosacea" and then we never hear from them again. Hopefully others will report using Acyclovir and post their results on this.
    Brady Barrows
    Join the RRDi

Acyclovir 5% creams are available over the counter in the UK, such as Zovirax and Zuvogen. They are used to treat cold sores on around the lips.

Very interesting, I used a cold sore cream on a spot once by mistake, I was worried but it cleared the spot up a treat.

Do you have any idea/guess as to why the acyclovir would work for people with rosacea Brady ? I have wondered if its possible if rosacea is related to HPV in men. Its not possible to test for HPV in men, I have wondered in the past if rosacea could be related to an STD but I have tested negative for all of them.

Hi all! I have good news to share.

It's been 20 days since I reported my rosacea symptoms disappeared and 32 days, since I started the 10 day Val-Acyclovir treatment that cured me. I am still remarkably symptom-free.

Overall, general redness is down 95%, hardened skin is down 98% and papulous pustules down by 100%.

Right after I posted the first message 20 days ago, I went on a business trip for 2 weeks, so I relaxed in my diet. I was worried that the extra stress of traveling and working abroad, plus the inability to control my diet as well as back home, would lead to remission. The very first day I had a meal that was very spicy. But the trip was spent with very few gastric and rosacea symptoms as I did my best to avoid what I couldn't eat and control my stress levels.

At times, the skin on my nose and cheeks would react slightly and I could feel the skin starting to flake. But I happened to have dr.Hauschka rose day cream (the light version) with me and since it was winter in the country I visited, I had to use it twice daily and very generously to withstand the harsh cold weather. The think the cream controlled my symptoms from flaring, either by its contents or by simply moisturising and helping the skin withstand the weather.

Now that I am home for a week, my skin has been acting very well. Occasionally I wake up in the morning and see a single red spot on the cheek or on the nose, but it only stays for an hour or so and then disappears again by itself. I don't use any cream at home most of the time.

Ive come across others on this forum saying that dr.Hauchka rose day cream helped them to control or disappear rosacea symptoms, so I credit my success during the business trip at least partly to this cream. The other half I hsould credit to my ongoing avoidance of foods and lifestyles that upset both my stomach and face.

Nevertheless, the overall improvement that I am now managing with food, etc, most definitely came from val-acyclovir and I am considering to do a second round of treatment to see if I can get rid of anything else that might be still lurking in my body.

If I do so, I will update again!
    Last edited by Nellukas; 4th February 2019 at 07:21 AM.

Thank you for your update and I am glad that this treatment has been so effective for you for a long period of time.

Quote Originally Posted by andydoyle View Post
    Do you have any idea/guess as to why the acyclovir would work for people with rosacea Brady ? I have wondered if its possible if rosacea is related to HPV in men. Its not possible to test for HPV in men, I have wondered in the past if rosacea could be related to an STD but I have tested negative for all of them.
    Rosacea is a diagnosis that is used for such a wide spectrum of anyone who presents with a red face that narrowing down this to a viral infection would make a new rosacea variant (the RRDi recognizes thirteen rosacea variants). There is at least one report mentioning treatment for candidiasis (a yeast or fungus) improved rosacea but there are not a significant number of reports substantiating the connection and not enough have reported this works for their rosacea.

Other than this OP of Nellukas, I don't recall any other clinical reports mentioning treatment for a virus improves rosacea, but I may have missed something. What is so cool about the internet, when you post something like this, somehow the word spreads and someone finds a clinical paper about improving rosacea with another viral medication and the list starts growing. But I doubt if all rosacea patients will respond to viral treatment. If a significant number do respond then obviously it is time for a new variant, Viral Rosacea.

The vast number of reports come from Rosaceans who improve taking antibiotics which suggest bacterial. So if one wants to try Acyclovir by finding a physician who is willing to prescribe a trial Rx to see if it works, it would be good to post the results. Especially if one is desperate and has tried many other treatments, a ten day trial as Nellukas has reported might be the ticket.

And kudos to Nellukas who posted this thread!
    Brady Barrows
    Join the RRDi

Update no. 3 - general redness is down 98%, hardened skin is down 99% and no papulous pustules anymore.

It's been 32 days since I reported my rosacea symptoms disappeared and 50 days, since I started the 10 day Val-Acyclovir treatment that cured me.

I have not done a second val-acyclovir regimen, like I originally planned, because symptoms have not returned. I also do not use any facial creams, like I did just after finishing the first regimen. I continue to manage my diet, like I did before.

I have changed a certain eating habit though - I have doubled my fibre intake, from only 50% to 100-120 % DV now, as per FDA recommendation (too much fiber stops nutrient absorption). I believe this was a missing component in my diet before that contributed to flare ups. I cannot be sure of course. But I used to react to foods with my face and now I dont do that anymore, maybe once/twice since finishing val-acylcovir. Even when I have foods like coffee that irritate my gastritis, my face stays clean. Eating more fibre has also improved my gastritis symptoms, so I hope to kill two birds with this one, as I continue.

I have also brought my nutrition to balance and made sure that I eat/supplement in a way that I meet my nutrition targets every single day (between 100-200% DV of vitamins and minerals as per FDA recommendation), but so that Im not mega-dosing, which is harmful. I am also taking ginger powder, turmeric powder, cinnamon powder and ground black pepper now, in capsules that I make myself, because they are known to be anti-inflammatory. This means my immunity is also up and dealing with whatever is out of balance.

Again though, it was until val-acyclovir that I gained an upper hand with rosacea and I am supporting the results now with nutrition.

Quote Originally Posted by Brady Barrows View Post
    And kudos to Nellukas who posted this thread!
    Thank you! I am glad to start this conversation on a possible viral rosacea type. There is so far 1 study that I have come across (paid to read), where doctors speak of symptoms improving after acyclovir use. But that's all I came across myself. I hope more will surface.