Thread: red spots on the cheeks turn out to be caused by garlic and onion intolerance.

Default red spots on the cheeks turn out to be caused by garlic and onion intolerance.

So I have had seborrheic dermatitis since my 20s and flushing on my cheeks and a few other patches of red on my jaw and forehead since my mid thirties which may or may not be rosacea. To be honest, it's not terrible and Estee Lauder Doublewear foundation covers the flushing perfectly well.

A couple of years ago I started getting red raised bumps like acne in the flushed parts of my cheeks. They would present differently - some as livid red, hard lumps, some tiny pimples that stayed skin coloured, some itchy, some with a tiny fluid filled blister top. They would randomly flare up for a few days or quickly disappear within hours but I generally had at least one or three on my face daily.

One day I ate a ton of raw garlic in a dip and I had a huge flare up on both cheeks and along my jaw within a couple of hours. This was very clearly a reaction so I started googling. I found someone talking about FODMAP foods being culprits for intolerances - garlic is indeed on the list plus I had also had a similarly bad reaction with pistachio nuts which are also on the list. I decided to put two and two together and tried the FODMAP elimination diet for a couple of weeks. Not easy.

Turns out it was onion and garlic!!!! I seem to be ok with everything else weirdly. (I suspect that my flushing improves with no wheat but....well I can't live without buttered toast) So random! They are in every single recipe I was constantly eating them in some form. If I don't eat them I don't get the spots. Bosh!

I can eat garlic oil (fructans are not oil soluable only water) which is a life saver - but have to watch out for stock cubes and ingredients that say 'flavourings'. I am sure that the powdered garlic and onion creates a more extreme reaction. I am pretty sure my digestion is faster without these guys in my diet too. So you never know. Give it a go! I have since met one other person who has the same reaction.

PLUS! I also worked out how to get rid of the seborrheic dermatitis by dabbing the areas with cider vinegar on cotton wool every morning which stops it completely. If I forget or can't be bothered it comes back - then it will take 3-4 days of acv to disappear again. Plus if I go dairy free (no animal milk at all I think it is the casein protein for me) I don't seem to need to use the vinegar at all. No wheat, dairy garlic or onion? Really? That's not going to happen. I can live with rosy cheeks that smell of chips.

I am posting this to pay it forward in the universe and sicerely hope this helps someone else out there.

Default red spots on the cheeks turn out to be caused by garlic and onion intolerance.

Just to be clear I posted this here because I had presumed that the spots were the rosacea worsening into papules and there was nothing I could do about it without going to the doctor. Turned out it was something else altogether.

Thanks for your post which I have included as an example under the subheading, Allergic Eczema, aka Contact Dermatitis, in this post. As you point out, you can have SD (or rosacea) along with Allergic Eczema which can co-exist.
    Brady Barrows
    Join the RRDi

Quote Originally Posted by countdracula View Post
    Just to be clear I posted this here because I had presumed that the spots were the rosacea worsening into papules and there was nothing I could do about it without going to the doctor. Turned out it was something else altogether.
    That's not unusual. These skin allergies often mimic Rosacea. I have to be wary not to use, or consume, the different substances found in Balsam of Peru.

So glad to hear you have finally discovered your problem with garlic and onions. I'm sure it's a great relief.

Quote Originally Posted by countdracula View Post
    So I have had seborrheic dermatitis since my 20s and flushing on my cheeks and a few other patches of red on my jaw and forehead since my mid thirties which may or may not be rosacea. To be honest, it's not terrible and Estee Lauder Doublewear foundation covers the flushing perfectly well.

A couple of years ago I started getting red raised bumps like acne in the flushed parts of my cheeks. They would present differently - some as livid red, hard lumps, some tiny pimples that stayed skin coloured, some itchy, some with a tiny fluid filled blister top. They would randomly flare up for a few days or quickly disappear within hours but I generally had at least one or three on my face daily.

One day I ate a ton of raw garlic in a dip and I had a huge flare up on both cheeks and along my jaw within a couple of hours. This was very clearly a reaction so I started googling. I found someone talking about FODMAP foods being culprits for intolerances - garlic is indeed on the list plus I had also had a similarly bad reaction with pistachio nuts which are also on the list. I decided to put two and two together and tried the FODMAP elimination diet for a couple of weeks. Not easy.

Turns out it was onion and garlic!!!! I seem to be ok with everything else weirdly. (I suspect that my flushing improves with no wheat but....well I can't live without buttered toast) So random! They are in every single recipe I was constantly eating them in some form. If I don't eat them I don't get the spots. Bosh!

I can eat garlic oil (fructans are not oil soluable only water) which is a life saver - but have to watch out for stock cubes and ingredients that say 'flavourings'. I am sure that the powdered garlic and onion creates a more extreme reaction. I am pretty sure my digestion is faster without these guys in my diet too. So you never know. Give it a go! I have since met one other person who has the same reaction.

PLUS! I also worked out how to get rid of the seborrheic dermatitis by dabbing the areas with cider vinegar on cotton wool every morning which stops it completely. If I forget or can't be bothered it comes back - then it will take 3-4 days of acv to disappear again. Plus if I go dairy free (no animal milk at all I think it is the casein protein for me) I don't seem to need to use the vinegar at all. No wheat, dairy garlic or onion? Really? That's not going to happen. I can live with rosy cheeks that smell of chips.

I am posting this to pay it forward in the universe and sicerely hope this helps someone else out there.
    Thatís great news! I also found that certain foods were causing me grief and it was relief to know how to control the Rosacea. Like you I had it mild and I could cover it up but the pustules and irritation were still tough to deal with. Wheat and milk are the main culprits for me. Thanks for sharing this CD.

Quote Originally Posted by Erin2508 View Post
    I also found that certain foods were causing me grief and it was relief to know how to control the Rosacea.
    I think it's important to point out that the raised bumps countdracula mentioned were not caused his Rosacea, but allergic eczema, also known as Contact Dermatitis. See Brady's post and his link to the RRDi.