Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: red spots on the cheeks turn out to be caused by garlic and onion intolerance.

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Posts
    2
    Country: Great Britain

    Default red spots on the cheeks turn out to be caused by garlic and onion intolerance.

    So I have had seborrheic dermatitis since my 20s and flushing on my cheeks and a few other patches of red on my jaw and forehead since my mid thirties which may or may not be rosacea. To be honest, it's not terrible and Estee Lauder Doublewear foundation covers the flushing perfectly well.

    A couple of years ago I started getting red raised bumps like acne in the flushed parts of my cheeks. They would present differently - some as livid red, hard lumps, some tiny pimples that stayed skin coloured, some itchy, some with a tiny fluid filled blister top. They would randomly flare up for a few days or quickly disappear within hours but I generally had at least one or three on my face daily.

    One day I ate a ton of raw garlic in a dip and I had a huge flare up on both cheeks and along my jaw within a couple of hours. This was very clearly a reaction so I started googling. I found someone talking about FODMAP foods being culprits for intolerances - garlic is indeed on the list plus I had also had a similarly bad reaction with pistachio nuts which are also on the list. I decided to put two and two together and tried the FODMAP elimination diet for a couple of weeks. Not easy.

    Turns out it was onion and garlic!!!! I seem to be ok with everything else weirdly. (I suspect that my flushing improves with no wheat but....well I can't live without buttered toast) So random! They are in every single recipe I was constantly eating them in some form. If I don't eat them I don't get the spots. Bosh!

    I can eat garlic oil (fructans are not oil soluable only water) which is a life saver - but have to watch out for stock cubes and ingredients that say 'flavourings'. I am sure that the powdered garlic and onion creates a more extreme reaction. I am pretty sure my digestion is faster without these guys in my diet too. So you never know. Give it a go! I have since met one other person who has the same reaction.

    PLUS! I also worked out how to get rid of the seborrheic dermatitis by dabbing the areas with cider vinegar on cotton wool every morning which stops it completely. If I forget or can't be bothered it comes back - then it will take 3-4 days of acv to disappear again. Plus if I go dairy free (no animal milk at all I think it is the casein protein for me) I don't seem to need to use the vinegar at all. No wheat, dairy garlic or onion? Really? That's not going to happen. I can live with rosy cheeks that smell of chips.

    I am posting this to pay it forward in the universe and sicerely hope this helps someone else out there.

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Posts
    2
    Country: Great Britain

    Default red spots on the cheeks turn out to be caused by garlic and onion intolerance.

    Just to be clear I posted this here because I had presumed that the spots were the rosacea worsening into papules and there was nothing I could do about it without going to the doctor. Turned out it was something else altogether.

  3. #3
    Senior Member Brady Barrows's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Honolulu, HI, USA
    Posts
    4,594

    Default

    Thanks for your post which I have included as an example under the subheading, Allergic Eczema, aka Contact Dermatitis, in this post. As you point out, you can have SD (or rosacea) along with Allergic Eczema which can co-exist.
    Brady Barrows
    Join the RRDi

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Manchester, UK
    Posts
    435
    Country: UK

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by countdracula View Post
    Just to be clear I posted this here because I had presumed that the spots were the rosacea worsening into papules and there was nothing I could do about it without going to the doctor. Turned out it was something else altogether.
    That's not unusual. These skin allergies often mimic Rosacea. I have to be wary not to use, or consume, the different substances found in Balsam of Peru.

    So glad to hear you have finally discovered your problem with garlic and onions. I'm sure it's a great relief.

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Posts
    6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by countdracula View Post
    So I have had seborrheic dermatitis since my 20s and flushing on my cheeks and a few other patches of red on my jaw and forehead since my mid thirties which may or may not be rosacea. To be honest, it's not terrible and Estee Lauder Doublewear foundation covers the flushing perfectly well.

    A couple of years ago I started getting red raised bumps like acne in the flushed parts of my cheeks. They would present differently - some as livid red, hard lumps, some tiny pimples that stayed skin coloured, some itchy, some with a tiny fluid filled blister top. They would randomly flare up for a few days or quickly disappear within hours but I generally had at least one or three on my face daily.

    One day I ate a ton of raw garlic in a dip and I had a huge flare up on both cheeks and along my jaw within a couple of hours. This was very clearly a reaction so I started googling. I found someone talking about FODMAP foods being culprits for intolerances - garlic is indeed on the list plus I had also had a similarly bad reaction with pistachio nuts which are also on the list. I decided to put two and two together and tried the FODMAP elimination diet for a couple of weeks. Not easy.

    Turns out it was onion and garlic!!!! I seem to be ok with everything else weirdly. (I suspect that my flushing improves with no wheat but....well I can't live without buttered toast) So random! They are in every single recipe I was constantly eating them in some form. If I don't eat them I don't get the spots. Bosh!

    I can eat garlic oil (fructans are not oil soluable only water) which is a life saver - but have to watch out for stock cubes and ingredients that say 'flavourings'. I am sure that the powdered garlic and onion creates a more extreme reaction. I am pretty sure my digestion is faster without these guys in my diet too. So you never know. Give it a go! I have since met one other person who has the same reaction.

    PLUS! I also worked out how to get rid of the seborrheic dermatitis by dabbing the areas with cider vinegar on cotton wool every morning which stops it completely. If I forget or can't be bothered it comes back - then it will take 3-4 days of acv to disappear again. Plus if I go dairy free (no animal milk at all I think it is the casein protein for me) I don't seem to need to use the vinegar at all. No wheat, dairy garlic or onion? Really? That's not going to happen. I can live with rosy cheeks that smell of chips.

    I am posting this to pay it forward in the universe and sicerely hope this helps someone else out there.
    Thatís great news! I also found that certain foods were causing me grief and it was relief to know how to control the Rosacea. Like you I had it mild and I could cover it up but the pustules and irritation were still tough to deal with. Wheat and milk are the main culprits for me. Thanks for sharing this CD.

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Manchester, UK
    Posts
    435
    Country: UK

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Erin2508 View Post
    I also found that certain foods were causing me grief and it was relief to know how to control the Rosacea.
    I think it's important to point out that the raised bumps countdracula mentioned were not caused his Rosacea, but allergic eczema, also known as Contact Dermatitis. See Brady's post and his link to the RRDi.

Similar Threads

  1. Big red nose - histamine intolerance
    By tuftyone in forum General rosacea questions
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 30th August 2016, 12:08 PM
  2. Red spots?
    By BeastfromtheEastX in forum Similar and co-existing conditions
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 7th June 2011, 05:21 AM
  3. Small spots/dots on my face/cheeks
    By mizfiesta in forum Photos
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: 30th May 2010, 03:48 PM
  4. Benzaclin makes your skin turn red and peel off!
    By jim00001 in forum Prescription medications
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 21st April 2010, 11:48 PM
  5. Are garlic tablets just as effective as raw garlic?
    By Gauntlet00 in forum Topical and oral products (non-prescription)
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 15th December 2008, 08:05 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •