Thread: Anyone use beta blockers regularly?

Default Anyone use beta blockers regularly?

I've had a lot of success using beta blockers for speeches to prevent flushing. I'm considering getting a prescription for XR and taking it more regularly. Has anyone taken it regularly over many years? Should I try XR or stick with the normal dose (currently 20mg before a speech)?

Also: Does it help you with flushing from cold weather, drinking, other triggers? Before working out?

I've heard mixed things about people adapting to it if taken regularly? True / false?

Thank you
    Last edited by tobyg; 17th December 2018 at 12:47 AM.

I took propranolol XR (extended release) for a couple years and found the vasoconstrictive effect diminished over time, either because my face got worse or I got used to the drug. My main problem with it though is that my cardiovascular performance was terrible during exercise. I was up to 120 mg/day though; at 20 mg/day my exercise tolerance might have been fine, but I don't think it would have suppressed the flushing.

It seemed to help mainly with flushing related to temperature and anxiety.

Interesting. Thanks for your input. I am kind of worried it will stop working, and then wont be as effective when I do need to give speeches.. I'm thinking it might make sense to take it ~1-3 times a week.
    Last edited by tobyg; 17th December 2018 at 05:25 AM.

Has anyone taken it for more than 3-5+ years?

Quote Originally Posted by tobyg View Post
    Has anyone taken it for more than 3-5+ years?
    been taking propanolol for about 8 months for high blood pressure (along with ramipril) and for flushing so it kills 2 birds with 1 stone for me !

ive found it excellent at controlling stress induced flushing - i have to stand up in a room full of people and present a plan for the day when im at work and its really stopped the flush i used to feel happening every time - it always started on my neck and in my beard but not really on my cheeks which is odd ...

i only take 1 40mg in the morning and sometimes another one at night if im feeling stressed

its been a game changer for me , had to really fight with my GP to get it on prescription though !

hope this helps

Interesting. Thanks for your input. I am kind of worried it will stop working, and then wont be as effective when I do need to give speeches.. I'm thinking it might make sense to take it ~1-3 times a week.
    I'm thinking about using pseudoephedrine to suppress flushing for special occasions like job interviews and speeches.

I used to take it daily (for maybe 2 years) but felt it lost its effectiveness (same for clonidine). I now take it for stressful work occasions (meetings etc) about once or twice a week (10mg) and it really helps. It is not effective for me with warm rooms, exercise or eating hot food but having said that it helps reduce the stress about flushing in these circumstances, if that makes sense. So I tend to return to baseline quicker and it doesn't spiral out of control!

Interesting, I'm seeing more and more anecdotal evidence of people taking it daily for 1-2 years and then it losing its effectiveness. I'm curious if taking it on average <4 days a week, perhaps even taking a week off here and there, would be a possible solution or if it's really only meant to be taken on rare occasions. Seems to be the only solution for me at the moment - so I'm going to explore and report back..

Interesting, I'm seeing more and more anecdotal evidence of people taking it daily for 1-2 years and then it losing its effectiveness. I'm curious if taking it on average <4 days a week, perhaps even taking a week off here and there, would be a possible solution or if it's really only meant to be taken on rare occasions. Seems to be the only solution for me at the moment - so I'm going to explore and report back..
    I try to use it as little as possible and take weeks off where I can. I really feel that the less I use it the better it is when I do. It could just be a placebo effect but I'm sticking with it. I'll be interested to hear how you get on.