Thread: Cured - through diet

Default Cured - through diet

Hi, I just thought I would share my experiences with Rosacea and itís demise (hurrah) in the hope that another sufferer might benefit from my hard won knowledge.
    Bit of skin history - I have never had great skin, lots of hormonal break outs (Iím female) well into my 30ís and Iíve been prescribed various mini-pills, antibiotics, steroid creams since I was a teenager, none of them ever really having had a massive improvement on my skin. I would have large white pustular spots along my jaw line and on my neck, chin, chest and shoulders. They were painful, and my skin was very sensitive.
    2.5 years ago I started noticing my after shower redness was getting worse in that it was lingering and felt very hot to the touch. I had been experiencing extreme stress in my personal life and I was scrubbing away at my skin with the usual exfoliants and cleansers - the thought of which makes me cringe at the damage I was doing.
    I was lucky enough to be able to see a private dermatologist and he prescribed me Limecycline (a tetrasyl antibiotic) and did a complete overhaul on my skin care regime. He quite rightly gave me a ticking off about the harsh products I had been using. I got rid of every moisturiser & cleanser I had and replaced them with just two products: Dermol 500 and Cetaphil Gentle Skin Cleanser. I used the Dermol 500 constantly and I still do and slowly but surely it has built up a natural barrier on my skin which I had broken down after years of skin abuse. I use Cetaphil in the morning and evening to gently cleanse my skin and body, Iím finally being kind and gentle to myself!
    So Iíd been on Limecycline for about 18 months and whilst I believe it was key in stopping the Rosacea from getting worse, it was just firefighting the inflammation that still existed under the surface.
    I decided to make some dietary changes.
    1. Tea with milk and sugar: This was my elixir. The thing that got me going in the morning, that afternoon pick me up, that soothing cuppa in the evening. I thought I couldnít live without it and weirdly the thought of ever giving it up terrified and saddened me. Until I did give it up and my skin pretty much cleared up within a week. This was after around 20 years of skin hell. I couldnít believe it. I believe the main culprit is milk. Although it could have been the tea leaves too but I havenít tried tea by itself to test this theory so strong is my belief that milk was wreaking havoc on my skin and my sinuses and pretty much over all well-being. I donít have milk in any other form.
    2. Wheat: when I gave up bread and pasta my skin cleared up entirely. No redness, no spots, I go out of the house without make up on and my skin is clear. Which doesnít sound much but itís actually phenomenal for me.
    I have reduced my Limecycline intake to one tablet (408mg) every 3-4 days, but I imagine Iíll eventually give it up altogether so strong is my belief that it was milk and to a lesser degree wheat that were causing my Rosacea and acne. The good news with reducing the Limecycline is that my hair is getting fuller again too.
    Has anyone else had success with dietary changes? Iíve been blown away by how much mine have had an effect and I hope this may be helpful to other sufferers.

Fantastic, so happy for you!! Diet (I'm in month 5 of an elimination diet) hasn't made much of an impact on me but I've had great results with skincare instead so I'm happy anyway. I really do believe that this is hugely variable person to person. Some on here describe what sounds like a very tight connection between food and/or gut and skin, and then there are others like me for whom it appears to be entirely dermatological, for whom topicals work quite well.

Have you ruled out sugar as a problem for you? I ask because you mentioned it as an ingredient in your tea, but many people find sugar is a problem for them.

Quote Originally Posted by dryad View Post
    Fantastic, so happy for you!! Diet (I'm in month 5 of an elimination diet) hasn't made much of an impact on me but I've had great results with skincare instead so I'm happy anyway. I really do believe that this is hugely variable person to person. Some on here describe what sounds like a very tight connection between food and/or gut and skin, and then there are others like me for whom it appears to be entirely dermatological, for whom topicals work quite well.

Have you ruled out sugar as a problem for you? I ask because you mentioned it as an ingredient in your tea, but many people find sugar is a problem for them.
    I experience much less flushing now that my diet has changed. I have less carbs, less sugar, less bread, no spicy food, no pasta or white rice. I have given up dairy too. And caffeine!

I wish I'd made these changes 10 years ago. It was 2009 when I started flushing bad and I now know that gut inflammation is largely responsible for a lot of skin conditions.
    I'm recovering from Mirvaso-induced skin damage. Ask me about it if you are too.

T-Shirt: "Laser skin treatment. That's what it is if you're wondering. Yes, it hurt."

Quote Originally Posted by darren1 View Post
    I experience much less flushing now that my diet has changed. I have less carbs, less sugar, less bread, no spicy food, no pasta or white rice. I have given up dairy too. And caffeine!

I wish I'd made these changes 10 years ago. It was 2009 when I started flushing bad and I now know that gut inflammation is largely responsible for a lot of skin conditions.

I saw an episode of Dr Oz with his father in law and he recommended probiotics tablets 10 50 billion. I've been having Onken
    live culture no fat yoghurt, as I still need calcium. He also mentioned colloidal silver - sovereign silver for a variety of illnesses.

Quote Originally Posted by darren1 View Post

Darren I totally agree, I often think why didnít I do it sooner. I think itís great a few dietary changes have worked for you too, happy days : )

Quote Originally Posted by aguycalledphil View Post
    I saw an episode of Dr Oz with his father in law and he recommended probiotics tablets 10 50 billion. I've been having Onken
    live culture no fat yoghurt, as I still need calcium. He also mentioned colloidal silver - sovereign silver for a variety of illnesses.
    Thanks Phil thatís really interesting about still needing calcium, I hadnít thought about that for myself. Cheese doesnít appear to affect me so hopefully Iím getting some nutritional calcium that way. Clearly lactose is not my bag but casein doesnít give me too much trouble. Iíve tried supplements in the past in a variety of ways but Iím of the belief now that a varied diet is the only real way to bolster our guts and get all the vitamins and minerals we need.

Dryad - thank you for your good wishes. I did reply to your post yesterday but it seems to have not submitted properly. Good luck with your elimination diet - my rule of thumb is - if you crave it, itís probably the thing you most need to eliminate! Sweet irony.

Also, yes I do think sugar is a major factor in all skin conditions and Iím getting a lot less of that now that Iím tea free and low refined carb.

Basically small steps lead to big changes in my experience.