Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Rosacea starting in multiple family members?

Default Rosacea starting in multiple family members?

In January, I was diagnosed with rosacea. At some point this summer or so, my husband developed symptoms. We have tried to rationalize that he has some other cause, but itís looking more like he has it. My daughter has also developed some strange skin issues on her face this year- almost more dry, bumpy, and sometimes red. We had our air quality checked in the house and installed water filtration systems, but these donít seem to have made a difference and air quality was reported as good. Has anyone ever heard of something like this in a family??? Could it be something other than rosacea that is contagious?

Quote Originally Posted by Chai View Post
    In January, I was diagnosed with rosacea. At some point this summer or so, my husband developed symptoms. We have tried to rationalize that he has some other cause, but itís looking more like he has it. My daughter has also developed some strange skin issues on her face this year- almost more dry, bumpy, and sometimes red. We had our air quality checked in the house and installed water filtration systems, but these donít seem to have made a difference and air quality was reported as good. Has anyone ever heard of something like this in a family??? Could it be something other than rosacea that is contagious?
    Did the doctor test you for Demodex Skin Mites or any other type of infection like a fungal or bacterial infection? Everybody has the microscopic demodex skin mites. Demodex follicularum are the larger of the 2 human species and they live in the follicules. Demodex brevis are smaller and live down in the oil glands. The mites eat oil. A healthy immune system keeps them from getting overpopulated. If your immune system is down due to illness or stress, the mites can get overpopulated leading to rosacea or acne-like skin issues. When a person gets a serious case of overpopulation, sometimes they also have to treat the spouse.

Topical treatment with Soolantra cream which contains Ivermectin is a common treatment.

There is a 2 week oral treatment with Oral Ivermectin and Oral Metronidazole that is very effective. It was published in May 2013 in the International Journal of Infectious Diseases.
    The good thing is that this oral treatment uses 2 old drugs that are available as cheap generics. The insurance copay for both drugs was $13.03 - without insurance full retail price was $52 USD.

The oral treatment is effective over your whole body to kill the mites down in the glands not just on the surface of the skin. This oral treatment is effective for the eye lids, where you can't use a topical treatment that might burn or irritate your eyes. Demodex mites can infest any oil gland or hair follicle.

The treatment:
    1. Two doses of oral Ivermectin one week apart. Each weekly dose is 200 micrograms Ivermectin per kilogram of body weight. Take on an empty stomach with a large glass of water.
    2. Oral Metronidazole, 250 mg. three times a day for two weeks. Do not drink alcohol while taking oral Metronidazole and for 72 hours after taking the last tablet.

Thatís interesting. I tried Soolantra but it irritated my skin (like most topicals do) and I didnít really buy into the Demodex theory as explaining my symptoms. But it does make a lot of sense in terms of it spreading. I have some upcoming appointments and will ask them about it.

I don't think it's that possible, even if it's dermodex spreading surely there would be advice somewhere stating it's contagious and everyone nearest and dearest would have Rosacea.

What are you and your husband symptoms are they "classic" Rosacea?

You clearly went through a period thinking it was environmental?

Sent from my WAS-LX1A using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew P View Post
    I don't think it's that possible, even if it's dermodex spreading surely there would be advice somewhere stating it's contagious and everyone nearest and dearest would have Rosacea.

Note statement in article: D. folliculorum naturally occurs in human skin. However, the mites can be spread by contact with someone else who has them.
    Babies aren't born with these tiny parasites. They are acquired most likely from your family as a child ages and their oil glands develop after the age of 5.

The mites can live on a wet towel for up to 54 hours. If mites are the problem, changing towels daily could be a good idea.

For a person with a healthy immune system, contact will not likely cause an infestation of these microscopic parasites.

https://www.healthline.com/health/de...culorum#causes

My mother was diagnosed with rosacea about 45 years ago. Mine started 5 years ago. Mine is demodectic rosacea. Hers probably is too, although she has not been seen by a reputable dermatologist.

We live 6000 miles apart by the way.

I don't know if the mites are contagious in and of themselves but perhaps the sensitivity to them is genetic. I don't know of anyone else in our family who has this.

I kind of have it all ó p&p (Altho that has diminished), redness, flushing, pain, texture changes. My husband has redness primarily on his nose that comes and goes, and pain on his cheeks, and some enlarged pores (which could be aging related, but we noticed them in connection with all of this). Mine is worse in scope and intensity, but his seems pretty rosacea like and itís weird we both are getting it during the same year. And obviously no genetic link between us. :P We were both running long distances and outside a lot and air quality hasnít been great, but it isnít like we know other people who are experiencing the same thing.

I kind of have it all ó p&p (Altho that has diminished), redness, flushing, pain, texture changes. My husband has redness primarily on his nose that comes and goes, and pain on his cheeks, and some enlarged pores (which could be aging related, but we noticed them in connection with all of this). Mine is worse in scope and intensity, but his seems pretty rosacea like and itís weird we both are getting it during the same year. And obviously no genetic link between us. We were both running long distances and outside a lot and air quality hasnít been great, but it isnít like we know other people who are experiencing the same thing.
    I still think its pretty unusual if not impossible that you all have Rosacea. Soaps, detergents anything like that change?

I still think its pretty unusual if not impossible that you all have Rosacea. Soaps, detergents anything like that change?

Yes, I agree that it seems highly unlikely. But i canít figure out what it could be, and the symptoms are very similar. No change in soaps or detergents or foods or anything we can think of. We have changed things after the fact (water filters, drinking bottled water, etc.) but nothing seems to have been a clear trigger.

Yes, I agree that it seems highly unlikely. But i canít figure out what it could be, and the symptoms are very similar. No change in soaps or detergents or foods or anything we can think of. We have changed things after the fact (water filters, drinking bottled water, etc.) but nothing seems to have been a clear trigger.
    I have been browsing the forum and as I have posted elsewhere here today I really think a lot of us have something completely different.

I do not tolerate all drugs to well, some ok some not. That seems to be a theme with quite a few on here.