Thread: I had my first IPL 3 days ago

Default I had my first IPL 3 days ago [video]

Hi everyone.

I've been trying to recover from Mirvaso (brimonidine gel) induced erythema.

I had two full-ish face lasers earlier this year: one in April and one in July.

While this helped a little, it also pushed the blood from treated areas into the untreated blood vessels of neighbouring un treated skin.

In other words, the bits that the laser missed were made to look worse. Pockets of redness.

Before I had the IPL (3 days ago, November 3rd) I went for a 15 minute run in the freezing cold to induce as severe a flush as possible. My face looked shocking!

The IPL clinician immediately suggested a higher than usual setting instead of messing around with the lower settings.

Normally he'd start patients off at a low dose to see how they react to that. But for me, clearly, I needed a stronger dose.

Immediately after the treatment, my face was red with little patches, rather like a nettle sting all over the skin. The redness faded a little that day but settled at a worse than normal redness.

Over the course of the last 3 days, my skin has been purging and bringing up bacteria from the sebaceous glands. This is known as the "coffee grounds" effect IPL patients often get.

Usually, I have visible acne on my forehead but now I have it everywhere!

I hope to see everything settle down over the next week and my baseline redness become paler. If the forehead acne that is normally there is improved, that will be good.

Here's my IPL video. Will be updating in three weeks or so when the redness and purging have settled down. I've been applying aloe vera to my face several times a day.

Last edited by darren1; 10th November 2018 at 06:30 PM.
    I'm recovering from Mirvaso-induced skin damage. Ask me about it if you are too.

• Read about my PDL and IPL, with videos.

This is brilliant, thank you so much for doing this. I've been doing a lot with skin care, diet, and pharmaceuticals, and my dermatologist wants to start laser soon so this is so helpful for me. I hope you get the results you want!!

Today the "coffee grounds" effect is a bit worse. Additional spots have appeared on my cheeks. This must be the ultimate bacteria flush!

Last night I was looking at my skin in the mirror and at one point my face was ENTIRELY normal. No redness whatsoever. I've not seen it like in about 2 years. Half an hour later, it was red again, so I guess the blood vessels are a little volatile.

Could this mean that my skin is embroiled in some sort of battle with itself?

Of course, this is my first IPL treatment, and I know I'll be needing another one, but I do hope the redness settles down significantly and that the acne on my forehead goes away.
    I'm recovering from Mirvaso-induced skin damage. Ask me about it if you are too.

IPL brings up skin pigmentation which results in the coffee grind effect. My understanding is that it does not purge the sebaceous glands.
    Regardless, I hope you find continued improvement!
    Last edited by sg321; 7th November 2018 at 08:37 PM.

Today is 7 days since my IPL.

The redness seems to be settling down a little bit, and it looks as if small blotches/speckles of normal skin tone have appeared around the site of each of the coffee grounds.

My cheeks and temples had permanent redness but now it's as though the redness has been broken up a little and is not quite as consistent.

I still flush - such as when I ate hot soup earlier - but once I cool down and look in the mirror to check, I see a little less redness. I have checked in both natural daylight and under a white LED light.

The white LED light is a little more flattering. However, holding up the back of my hand next to my face is useful for comparison.

Keep in mind this was my first IPL. I was not expecting too much. In another 7 days there might be furthur improvement.