Thread: Does anyone have this kind of rosacea ?

Question Does anyone have this kind of rosacea ?

Hello,

I would like to know if other people have the same type of rosacea as me.

I do not have pimples. I do not have permanent redness (just slightly pinkish). The only thing I have is horrible flushes in which my nose and cheeks get hot and red. This happens after a big meal, at the end of the day when I'm tired or under emotional stress.
    During these flushes, I really feel that my head is overheating and that my face expresses it by a hot flash. It draws a real bright red butterfly on my face, the nose is really touched and the cheeks a little less.

On this forum, I see a lot of people talking about their pimples or their seb derm, but not many who only have big flushes.
    So I ask : are there a lot of people in my case? Who have just flushes and no pimples ?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ryohiku View Post
    Hello,

I would like to know if other people have the same type of rosacea as me.

I do not have pimples. I do not have permanent redness (just slightly pinkish). The only thing I have is horrible flushes in which my nose and cheeks get hot and red. This happens after a big meal, at the end of the day when I'm tired or under emotional stress.
    During these flushes, I really feel that my head is overheating and that my face expresses it by a hot flash. It draws a real bright red butterfly on my face, the nose is really touched and the cheeks a little less.

On this forum, I see a lot of people talking about their pimples or their seb derm, but not many who only have big flushes.
    So I ask : are there a lot of people in my case? Who have just flushes and no pimples ?

Thanks
    I used to get those horrible hot flashes but they've been getting better in recent years after I changed my diet, started wearing sunscrean and began managing stress much better.
    I'm recovering from Mirvaso-induced skin damage. Ask me about it if you are too.

• Read about my PDL and IPL, with videos.

This is the exact thing that happens to me every night without fail. Usually after I get in from work and start to relax. Though my face becomes quite sensitive around dinner time in work and any form of stress can trigger a flush.

I have started getting red pimples, but if I could control the flush in the afternoon I know they would clear up. My nose and ears flush often then they go a few month without flushing. Cheeks though, they flush every night.

Iíd be interested to know what your old diet was like and what you changed?
    Iíve tried wheat free, which just made me lose alot of weight but didnít much help my skin.

Hello daren1,

What changes did you make in your diet?

Hello Nijjy,

I too have a flush when I come home from work, as if my face had to go through a stage of "overheating" before settling down.

My flushes are burning and it is an impression of inflammation very unpleasant. I do not think it's just a skin problem, I feel like my whole body is reacting, as if my immune system is getting upset...

Quote Originally Posted by Ryohiku View Post
    Hello daren1,

What changes did you make in your diet?

Hello Nijjy,

I too have a flush when I come home from work, as if my face had to go through a stage of "overheating" before settling down.

My flushes are burning and it is an impression of inflammation very unpleasant. I do not think it's just a skin problem, I feel like my whole body is reacting, as if my immune system is getting upset...
    My body used to get very hot, and I would end up stripping myself to my underwear to try to cool down.

I think you'll find there's something you are eating that your gut for some reason does not like.

The flushing is basically a warning sign. The body is saying "danger". This is basically fight or flight.

The gut can become intolerant of foods that you were previously fine with. Illness, stress, antibiotics and other things can change your intestinal flora so that the gut has an imbalance of good and bad bacteria.

You could start taking pro-biotics, which I did for a while but stopped because they were expensive.

I suggest you follow "the rosacea diet" which is an anti-inflammatory diet, where acidic foods, carbs and high sugar foods are removed.

Take away the nightshade family of vegetables, beginning with tomatoes and chillis, spinach and white potatoes.

It's important to be mindful of what you eat and consider what you have eaten on the days when the flushing and sensations of bodily heat is especially bad.

I found that pepper and salt could trigger me, especially those instant gravy granules and stock cubes which contain a lot of salt. My body temperature would rocket after eating beef gravy granules! (I now use low salt, organic, gluten free stock cubes and gravy granules.

Another thing: white flour. Get rid of it. It's in so much food, actually.

Preserved meats like salami and cold cooked sausage might be best avoided too.

Take organic coconut oil daily (medium chain fatty acids, good for the brain). Take fish oil too.
    I'm recovering from Mirvaso-induced skin damage. Ask me about it if you are too.

Specifically for the hot meal flush, some people do find taking glutamine helpful (e.g. you could try the Higher Nature brand). I don't find glutamine helpful, though (uncomfortable on the stomach).

There are four key areas that you can address to help with flushing: medicines, diet, psychology, everything you put topically on your skin. A fifth possible one is exercise.

Even letting food cool down can help a little with the meal flushing. Darren's suggestions for diet are helpful. The most helpful brand of probiotic I've found is Symprove, which has the best evidence to support that it works in a recent study of probiotics at University College London. Dr Stephen Gundry's book 'The Plant Paradox' on diet is helpful on diet recommendations - what you can eat and what won't be helpful with 'yes' and 'no' lists.

If your blood vessels are very damaged, changing diet alone is unlikely to be enough to stop bad flushing. In this case, medications such as clonidine or moxonodine, mirtazapine, hydroxychloroquine and mepacrine can be helpful.

Some information here about the warm room flush.

Angiogenesis is something I've experienced.

I too experience the evening flush. Some nights are definitely worse than others.

Yeh I'm in the same boat. No pimples but very violent flushes and a lot of redness on the face and burning. Flushing can be hard to treat.

Have you thought about putting on a small fan on low when you feel a flush crawl up in the evening? Also, big(ger) meals can create heat in the body once digestion starts going, and can raise blood sugar levels rapidly, depending on your diet. Some here found that eating smaller portions divided over the day can help. It could also perhaps be that what you eat is triggering a flare. Some flushers are sensitive to foods high in histamine (= blood vessel dilator). Think of 'ripe' foods like aged cheeses, or fermented foods, but also chocolate and vanilla, nuts, tomatoes and strawberries are all high in histamine. Others react to salicylates in food (smaller group of people) and in general deep fried foods and high starch/white carbohydrate foods can also increase inflammation for many here. And then there are alcohol and spicy food (blood vessel dilators).

In the early evening, our body temperature rises a bit naturally too, which can also set off a flush for some.

For me, taking anti flushing medication has helped most to get the constant flushing and burning under some control.

Best wishes Nat

Hi,

Glad to see that I am not alone in this case.

Personally, I have already tried many things (no sugar diet, betaine for digestion, tea tree oil, and a package of food supplements supposed to help: zinc, probiotics, vitamins, etc.).

Nothing really improves my condition. I'm sure the problem is leaky gut syndrome and sibo / candida. And these conditions are very hard to cure.

I think I will one day dive into a very strict diet with the best possible supplements, in order to finally overcome these problems. In the meantime, thank you for your tips