Thread: Attempting a fruit, veggie diet to see if it helps.

Default Attempting a fruit, veggie diet to see if it helps.

Any suggestions?
    Just went to the store and bought
    Apples
    Bananas
    Oranges
    Cerly
    Broccli
    Canned green beans
    Also only drinking water

Also bought sliced turkey.
    Iím going to cut dairy out all together.

Iíve also read that taking vitamins help. Just donít know which ones. Iíve read a lot about roscea being led to internal system and bad liver etc . So cleansing can help.

I have subtype 1 just a persistent red face
    Any advice on other foods would be apperiated

Hi, I started an elimination diet for rosacea in August. I have a thread on it in this subforum, you might find it interesting. I cut out everything except fish and sweet potatoes pretty much, at the very beginning, but was quickly able to add in nuts, eggs, small amounts of fruit, and some vegetables. I'm still doing it, just sloooowly expanding my diet. So far I haven't noticed anything really notable, but I'm still off gluten, sugar, most dairy, most carbs.

I was more wary of fruit than you appear to be (all that sugar) but I actually never had a problem with the grapes I did eat (I would usually have about 145g of grapes per day, that's 100 calories' worth so a pretty average portion). However I wouldn't ever have more than just that one serving of fruit in a day.

The only vitamin I take is a prescription dose of vitamin D because I was diagnosed with a total deficiency in July (which bounced back up to normal after a couple months, but doc still has me taking this). I have seen some things in some places saying vitamin D is good for rosaceans. I also get a lot of it in salmon.

I don't know where you live but my suggestion with vegetables and fruit is to try to get stuff that's in season where you live. The nutrition in it will probably be more available to your body.

My current veg/fruit is very limited, just sweet potatoes, butternut squash (haven't tried that yet, maybe tomorrow), onions. It's terrible but I'm avoiding the tomatoes, eggplant, and peppers; and broccoli etc goes bad in a day at this time of year where I live, and there's just nothing I really want right now. For fruit, now that grapes and figs are done nothing really grabs me. I may look for some Fuji apples, and maybe a green leaf or two (I find them boring after a lifetime of salad consumption for weight control )

If broccoli is in season where you are, maybe grab some carrots, cauliflower, and beets as well. Butternut squash is great in the oven. I am a sweet potato lover and if you are looking for vitamins they are basically a pharmacy in a tuber. I don't eat regular white potatoes at all anymore.

I do eat a little dairy now. A spoonful of milk in my coffee; plain Greek yogurt from time to time; and sometimes a bit of white cheese. Very small portions in all cases though.

Fwiw, I have p&p (now in remission) and redness.

Quote Originally Posted by dryad View Post
    Hi, I started an elimination diet for rosacea in August. I have a thread on it in this subforum, you might find it interesting. I cut out everything except fish and sweet potatoes pretty much, at the very beginning, but was quickly able to add in nuts, eggs, small amounts of fruit, and some vegetables. I'm still doing it, just sloooowly expanding my diet. So far I haven't noticed anything really notable, but I'm still off gluten, sugar, most dairy, most carbs.

I was more wary of fruit than you appear to be (all that sugar) but I actually never had a problem with the grapes I did eat (I would usually have about 145g of grapes per day, that's 100 calories' worth so a pretty average portion). However I wouldn't ever have more than just that one serving of fruit in a day.

The only vitamin I take is a prescription dose of vitamin D because I was diagnosed with a total deficiency in July (which bounced back up to normal after a couple months, but doc still has me taking this). I have seen some things in some places saying vitamin D is good for rosaceans. I also get a lot of it in salmon.

I don't know where you live but my suggestion with vegetables and fruit is to try to get stuff that's in season where you live. The nutrition in it will probably be more available to your body.

My current veg/fruit is very limited, just sweet potatoes, butternut squash (haven't tried that yet, maybe tomorrow), onions. It's terrible but I'm avoiding the tomatoes, eggplant, and peppers; and broccoli etc goes bad in a day at this time of year where I live, and there's just nothing I really want right now. For fruit, now that grapes and figs are done nothing really grabs me. I may look for some Fuji apples, and maybe a green leaf or two (I find them boring after a lifetime of salad consumption for weight control )

If broccoli is in season where you are, maybe grab some carrots, cauliflower, and beets as well. Butternut squash is great in the oven. I am a sweet potato lover and if you are looking for vitamins they are basically a pharmacy in a tuber. I don't eat regular white potatoes at all anymore.

I do eat a little dairy now. A spoonful of milk in my coffee; plain Greek yogurt from time to time; and sometimes a bit of white cheese. Very small portions in all cases though.

Fwiw, I have p&p (now in remission) and redness.

Didnít know fruits contained lots of sugar.
    Fruits are pretty healthy for you.

Veggies you canít go wrong as long as itís not spicy
    Iíve seen so many YouTube videos of people clearing the redness by like 90-95% of before and after photos of like 3-5 months. There skin looks amazing.

Yes, fruit has a lot of sugar, though some are worse than others. For example, grapes are among the worst, bananas I think are pretty bad too. A lot of rosaceans don't eat the vegetables that are considered rosacea "trigger foods", like eggplant (aubergine), tomato, pepper, spinach, and others. I avoid them too but I'm not planning on doing so forever, just trying to reintroduce things very slowly so I can catch any triggers along the way. You can do a search on this forum and find lots of discussions of which veggies to avoid. Avocadoes are considered very safe, as are olives.

I think some people are much more susceptible to inflammation from eating "inflammatory" vegetables and sugar, but just in case that's you, it wouldn't hurt to read the lists of low and high inflammatory ones. Some on there really surprised me. It's not about sugar, I believe the issue is histamine. (And yes it may well be completely junk science but it doesn't make a difference if you just do an elimination diet.)

Research also of the food to avoid.. Because I'm also surprised that some healthy foods trigger rosacea.

Quote Originally Posted by Shotsfired24 View Post
    Any suggestions?
    Apples
    Bananas
    Oranges
    Cerly
    Broccli
    Canned green beans
    Also only drinking water

Iím going to cut dairy out all together.

Iíve also read that taking vitamins help. Just donít know which ones. Iíve read a lot about roscea being led to internal system and bad liver etc . So cleansing can help.

Food triggers are so personal, it can be very hard to figure them all out.. It also depends on your type of rosacea and symptoms? Someone with fixed redness our p&p problems can react to different foods than someone who has a flushing problem for instance.

If you flush and burn, some things worth looking into are foods high in histamine (old cheeses, fermented foods, strawberries, nuts, egg white for instance). Foods high in salicylates can also be triggers for flushers who also flush from aspirin (also is high is salicylates). Foods high in niacin (B3) can also cause flushing for some.

If fixed redness and inflammation is your problem, then it can be worth trying into a diet that eliminates foods high in added sugars. And some find improvement from eliminating grains, corn and foods high in carbs. Others see reduction in inflammation from replacing dairy with products like rice-, coconut or almond milk.

In your list, bananas can be a trigger food for rosacea, as well as oranges (all citrus fruits can be).

I did an elimination diet once with a dietitian, we started with rice and chicken. Then a few days later added one new food (broccoli). Etc and so on. Very time consuming though, and you also need to keep an eye on other changes in your day to day regime all the while (like stress, sun exposure, temperature changes etc).

Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Shotsfired24 View Post
    Any suggestions?
    Apples
    Bananas
    Oranges
    Cerly
    Broccli
    Canned green beans
    Also only drinking water

I’m going to cut dairy out all together.

I’ve also read that taking vitamins help. Just don’t know which ones. I’ve read a lot about roscea being led to internal system and bad liver etc . So cleansing can help.

Let us know how that goes for you Shotsfired24.

Might want to read this post, Liver, Yogurt, Sour Cream, Cheese, Eggplant, and Spinach and look at the massive list of proposed rosacea trigger factors and trigger avoidance.
    Brady Barrows
    Join the RRDi