Thread: What do you use to keep track of your flare-ups and food?

Default What do you use to keep track of your flare-ups and food?

Hi everyone,

I'm curious of what people use to keep track of the foods they eat and to document their flare-ups.

Ever since my major flare-up three months ago, I've been meticulously documenting my wake-up condition (via photos and a word description), the weather and temperature of that day, any flare-ups or changes to my condition as the day progresses, my medication schedule, and what foods I eat including whether my rosacea reacts and when. Currently, I've been using a combination of Google Sheets and just notations on my photos taken via iphone.

Are there any apps or methods out there that work for you?

Hi Christyc,

I use FitDay online to track all my food, but I also write it down in a notebook as well. In the same notebook, I have calendar where for each day, I "score" my skin on a scale of 1-4 (1 = great, 4 = horrible) and I highlight the number (except for 1, which I leave white), 2 = pink, 3 = red, 4 = purple, so I can see at a glance how I'm doing over a period of time. Because I think these things also play a role, that same notebook has sections where I keep track of my menstrual cycle/symptoms, and exercise, any medical issues that arise, as well as anything else that I think is relevant. I also track my weight in there because I'm trying to lose weight too (heaven forbid I only have one thing wrong with me at a time )

I also have a thread on this forum where I write down my food and how I'm doing, including what skincare I'm doing. I started the thread but I did so with the intention that others can join in so that maybe someday we can come to some conclusions about what foods can be triggering, etc.

I love Google Sheets and use it to track my weight for my weightloss but haven't used it for rosacea purposes. I love the graphs that update by themselves. I could probably figure out something with my color coding that would be fun over there but my notebook works pretty well.

I think any of the calorie/nutrition apps would work great for keeping track of your food. I use FitDay because I've used it for over a decade, but there are so many now. Some of them probably have a diary area where you can put in some notes for the day like how your skin is doing.

I almost forgot -- I was taking photos when I had a bad flare-up - both for myself and for my dermatologist as she wanted daily photos from me. Once that stopped I don't take photos anymore.

Hi dryad,

I have seen your food diary thread post and I just wanted to tell you that I really appreciated what you were trying to do or start on this forum. I don't think I'd ever feel comfortable posting my rosacea photos and being so candid about my issues so I thought you were really brave and inspirational.

My flare-up is actually still going on so it's been hard to analyze and find a more efficient way to record 3 months worth of photos and notes. According to one of my doctors, the rosacea I have is fairly hard to treat and will most likely reoccur even if I do improve. So though Google Sheets has been great for the free text stuff but I wish there was something better (I like colorful graphs too ).

I did find an app called imagine that's originally designed for people with plaque psoriasis. It allows for photo journaling so I'm planning to give it a try.

I'm glad you saw some usefulness in that thread! I think it may eventually yield something, for now it seems to be "this one girl isn't particularly food sensitive after all"

I should really post some new photos to show what I look like now... actually will try to do that today. I don't want to scare anybody, thinking that I was in that state perpetually. It was a really severe flare-up but the ability of the skin to heal is astounding, really.

I think most rosacea is hard to treat, which is why I think ultimately it boils down to experimenting on yourself to figure out the right combination of things that keeps it at a level you can deal with. I'm not even hoping to have the kind of skin that "other people" have, just something that doesn't cause me actual problems (pain, attracting negative attention, etc).

Imagine sounds great. You're taking photos at the same time of day, right? There's a lot of fluctuation throughout the day. My doctor said to do it in the evening as that was likely to be the worst. But with the psychology I have (an optimist at heart lol) I take them in the morning to make myself feel better...