Thread: IPL Questions

Default IPL Questions

I had 3 laser genesis and one partial IPL treatment when I first was diagnosed with rosacea. My last treatment was 7/18. Honestly, I知 not sure if they helped a little or not. I was such a mess and my flushing and pain was bad then. I feel like I finally got some of the flushing under control and wondered if IPL could help take down some of the increased redness/vasculature and maybe reduce propensity to flush or get red with heat or other triggers.

I was wondering if anyone had advice about full face vs partial, numbing cream vs none, low settings vs more aggressive, etc. I知 scared to do this but also hoping to somehow get closer to my pre rosacea state. I have seen a dr who would perform the IPL and she has rosacea herself so seems well informed on the protocols.

I had one full facial, at quite high setings. I used Emla numbing cream. Before my treatment, I spent 20 minutes jogging in the cold to make my face go red.

The settings were high and actually caused my moustache area to blister like the skin of a chicken being roasted right under the heat. But this went down and seems ok. Parts of my jaw ended up looking a little redder and irritated but the resto fm y face looked better.

Parts of my forehead now have a more whitish appearance in places though the middle of it is still pinkish on occasion.

While recovering, I kept my skin moist using aloe vera and almond oil.

There has been an improvement, since lots of little red scabs formed and turned dark, then dropped off, leaving blanched whitish skin in their place. I would need more treatments as lots of areas are still slightly red. I know that IPL needs to be repeated.

I only wish I'd waited a few more months when I had the first treatment, since I was recovering from PLD, and on reflection, should have given this a wide berth.

When I go back next time for, what will be a second IPL, I'll be mentioning the areas that worsened. Perhaps we'll avoid those areas in future or use lower settings.
    I'm recovering from Mirvaso-induced skin damage. Ask me about it if you are too.

• Read about my PDL and IPL, with videos.

Thank you for the response! Do you regret the higher settings? My dr said she could be very aggressive on me given my skin color but I知 scared to go too aggressive and maybe end up in a worse position...

I知 also wondering realistically how much improvement I can expect after one treatment.

In the meantime, I had 3 IPL sessions, not full face but focused on my nose and cheeks where the biggest issues (broken capillaries and permanent redness ) are located. I do have to say it improved, but my last session only dates from last week so I have to see what will come in the next weeks and months.

They used quite 'mild' settings for the IPL I think, meaning the downtime afterwards was only for a couple of hours. Nevertheless, results are being seen less rapidly and therefore more sessions are needed.

You can see the results here under:

20190401_150636.jpg

Above is before the sessions, under is a couple of days after the last IPL session.

Thanks for sharing! I would be pleased with that kind of change, for sure. Any negative effects and how much time between sessions?

Time between the sessions was about 6-8 weeks, which shouldn't be much shorter I think. Also make sure to do this only in winter when the chance of direct sunlight after the sessions is much smaller.
    No negative effects for the moment, let's hope it stays this way

Default Impressive

Quote Originally Posted by Reddevil View Post
    In the meantime, I had 3 IPL sessions, not full face but focused on my nose and cheeks where the biggest issues (broken capillaries and permanent redness ) are located. I do have to say it improved, but my last session only dates from last week so I have to see what will come in the next weeks and months.

They used quite 'mild' settings for the IPL I think, meaning the downtime afterwards was only for a couple of hours. Nevertheless, results are being seen less rapidly and therefore more sessions are needed.

You can see the results here under:

20190401_150636.jpg

Above is before the sessions, under is a couple of days after the last IPL session.
    Wow. I'm very impressed. I had 7 IPL sessions last year that did not yield results that were anywhere near this dramatic. Pulsed dye laser has by far been more effective for me. I wish I had responded better to IPL, as those treatments are not as expensive and the downtime is nowhere near as long.

Congrats!

Cheers,
    K