Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Demodex

Just beware, it's not a treatment without side effects and it also isn't effective for everyone. And even if it is effective, often the results aren't long lasting. So it's better to find a topical that you can also use as a maintenance for a long time, because these orals can't be used that way. Elaine is lucky it worked for her as a one time treatment.

Maria and Shaun, what has worked best for you?

Metronidazole cream, tea tree oil 50% and zz cream. Not at the same time, of course.

Has anybody tried azelaic acid? I havenít tried this. You can get it in 10%, 15% and 20%. Also, I havenít tried the zz cream. I have tried sulfur creams, is the zz cream different?

I donít just have this on my faceóitís everywhere. I have a problem with excessive inflammation from just about everything, so that may be a contributing factor, but Iím pretty sure that everyone has these things all over, not just on the face. I know this is disgusting, but they were even coming out of the inside of my nose and out of my tongue! Ewww! So I approach this like itís lice, cover yourself from head to toe with medicated cream, hair too.

A lot of people tried azelaic acid, type it in the search box in the upper right corner. I used it only once and had to wash it off, because of the burning sensation.
    Zz cream is different from the other sulfur creams because of its unique composition. Just visit the demodexsolutions website to read more, a lot of useful information there.

Quote Originally Posted by btsarah View Post
    Elaine, I completely agree that oral metro 250 x 3 has been the most effective approach in eliminating the symptoms, followed by oral ivermectin. The problem with oral ivermectin is that it can’t get all of them in 2 weeks because the body eliminates it quickly, system levels are like a downward J shaped curve and by day 4 or so it gets pretty low. The 3 x per day metro sufficiently maintains concentration of the medication in your system. A longer course of ivermectin, like 5 or 7 weeks, might do it but doctors don’t seem to want to prescribe more than 2 weeks worth. Do you do anything to maintain, or was it just completely gone after your initial 2 week treatment?

Edited to clarify: by “eliminating the symptoms” I mean the relatively severe symptoms of an advanced condition or outbreak. And unfortunately, yes it does seem to return after being cleared up by the treatment. It seems that maintenance or preventative treatment is necessary. However, as a person with a highly inflammatory version of this condition, just getting to the maintenance/prevention stage is a big accomplishment.

During the 2 week treatment period, I kept using Cliradex wipes twice a day (morning and night before bedtime) on my eyes and face. I also continued to use Cliradex for 2 weeks after the oral treatment to try and make sure that if any were still dying, the topical helped eliminate as many as possible. Washed face with eyeEco's Tranquil Eyes 1% Tea Tree Oil Foaming Face Wash twice daily before using the Cliradex.

Maintenance Nightly: Wash face with eyeEco's Tranquil Eyes 1% Tea Tree Oil Foaming Face Wash every night. Followed by Heyedrate's Hypochlorous Acid spray all over face and eyelids.

Maintenance Weekly: Warm Borax and Epsom Salt Bath. Wash hair with DIY Borax shampoo in place of regular shampoo at least once a week.
    Posts on Borax baths and shampoo are here:

https://rosaceagroup.org/The_Rosacea...-Demodex-Mites

https://rosaceagroup.org/The_Rosacea...nd-Itchy-Scalp

I understand what you are saying about the bio-availability of the Ivermectin. My only comment here is that the 2 week combined oral treatment worked for me. I think that the Ivermectin may be working as a "pulse" dose. It kills the living ones or makes them real sick pretty quickly. Then you do the second dose to kill any eggs that hatch after that. I found a few other studies that just used the oral Metronidazole.
    Last edited by ElaineA; 1st October 2018 at 08:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ShaunD View Post
    Elaine, this sounds like an effective way to manage demodex but the antibiotic may worsen folliculitis for those of us suffering from it as a result of antibiotics.
    I hear you on the concern about getting folliculitis after being on antibiotics. My first 4 dermatologists played Russian Roulette with antibiotic after antibiotic - never ran any tests when the antibiotics didn't work. I finally had a serious auto-immune reaction to Minocin and quit taking them after that.

Always best to talk to a doctor about all of this. My family practice doctor prescribed the medications for me - he knew I had unresolved skin issues for years.

Warm Borax bath soaks and DIY Borax shampoo may help kill off the demodex and fungal infections too as an additional topical treatment.

https://rosaceagroup.org/The_Rosacea...nd-Itchy-Scalp
    Last edited by ElaineA; 1st October 2018 at 08:53 PM.

ElaineA;345685]I hear you on the concern about getting folliculitis after being on antibiotics. My first 4 dermatologists played Russian Roulette with antibiotic after antibiotic - never ran any tests when the antibiotics didn't work. I finally had a serious auto-immune reaction to Minocin and quit taking them after that.

Always best to talk to a doctor about all of this. My family practice doctor prescribed the medications for me - he knew I had unresolved skin issues for years.

Warm Borax bath soaks and DIY Borax shampoo may help kill off the demodex and fungal infections too as an additional topical treatment.

https://rosaceagroup.org/The_Rosacea...nd-Itchy-Scalp[/QUOTE]

Elaine, you're correct, I've seen many dermatologists and they love prescribing all sorts of antibiotics. That and steriods is their solution to anything they don't understand.

Thanks for the borax suggestion.

Default Demodex

Quote Originally Posted by btsarah View Post
    Has anyone discovered a remedy that works well for Demodex? I have the shampoos, sulfur, tea tree oil, permethrin, etc., it just seems like they all take forever and there are still mites down in the skin that aren't affected by the topicals. Thanks!
    After the MD told me this might be my problem, I got a clean bottle with stopper and put one part apple cider vinegar and six to seven parts water. I rinse with this after face washing and then rinse again with water at least five or six times. Don't know for sure that it is helping but seems to be. I've also quit drinking coffee, which for me was a big game changer after three or four weeks. (it takes that long for results to show). I have also very recently started trying the kraut a little, couple times a day. My face is clearer than in years. Thanks to those who were good enough to offer the advice. The vinegar is my own idea and is not my recommendation to you without checking with a doctor. It is only what seems to be helping me.

Quote Originally Posted by ShaunD View Post
    Elaine, you're correct, I've seen many dermatologists and they love prescribing all sorts of antibiotics. That and steriods is their solution to anything they don't understand.

Thanks for the borax suggestion.
    Iíve seen repeated references to the detrimental effects of corticosteroid use in this context, as they suppress the immune system which leads to further proliferation of mites, fungus and other associated critters involved in these skin conditions.