Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Permethrin - game changer

Default Permethrin - game changer

Hi - long time lurker here but finally feel I have something worth posting.

For the past month Iíve been using permethrin every night all over my face (not just active regions) and results have surpassed everything Iíve tried before. Redness which used to cover My nose, nasolabial folds and upper cheeks has receded greatly.

Where previously there had been red inflamed skin, small papules, large pores, orange peel appearance, etc. Paler, normal skin is returning and the results continue as Iím continuing treatment.

Skin also is far less reactive. I just came back from a week in Bali where I tanned on my face, actual brown tan all over and not the red nose and cheeks which usually flare from sun exposure.

I just came out of a yoga class where the room is heated to 28 degrees Celsius. Previously Iíve come out of these classes with the redness exacerbated on my central facial region and a slight rashy appearance. Now i am just slightly pink and it had left by the time I walked home.

I also had a hydrafacial earlier this week. Iíd avoided any spa treatments, facials, harsh exfoliants, etc since being diagnosed as didnít want to cause a flare or further damage. As a result of moisturising, sunscreen and various topicals over the years, my skin was quite congested. My skin reacted completely fine to the hydrafacial, even through the aha/bha peel and extractions. Itís left my skin looking even better.

Iíll continue this permethrin treatment for three months and move to a maintenance treatment of once a week. Iím hoping things will continue as well as they have so far. Even if my skin stayed as it is now it would be a huge improvement on what it was when at its worst. Iím feeling more confident and comfortable with my skin now then I have over the past three years.

I should also add that when starting permethrin I also began use of a zinc soap and green tea serum. However I attribute the change to the permethrin as Iíve used zinc and green tea treatments previously and theyíve not had this impact.

Iíve given a longer background post below to help answer questions others may have.

This has really been a game changer for me and I hope it could benefit others. Although only my first post on here I have really benefited from this forum over the years and want to say a big thank u to the administrators and posters. Itís given me access to info and an outlet that I otherwise wouldnít have had.

Good luck and love to all
    Xxx

Background - diagnosed with Rosacea about three years ago. Started as intermittent flushing, reaction to triggers such as alcohol, spicy food, sunshine etc.

By the time I was diagnosed there was a mass of broken blood vessels on and around nose. Also raised red plaque underneath left hand eye. Plus a small rash of red bumps in nasolabial area. Iíd probably been type 1 for a while and was slowly moving into type 2 due to lack of diagnosis or treatment.

Tried metrogel to begin with which didnít have much effect. Then moved to low dose doxycycline, generic not oracea. At this time I also had a laser treatment with the Excel V. This combo removed the vessels and other symptoms and seemed to put me in remission for about a year. I really didnít give it much thought for that year.

Then slowly but surely a fixed redness began to appear in the central facial region. Began on the nose and moved out to upper cheeks and the moustache area and nasolabial folds. Tried countless topicals and treatments (which I will list below) to try and stop the spread. Thought at points it could have been seb derm, perioral dermatitis, dermatitis, etc. Docs and dermatologists were pretty useless and no one really took an active interest in any kind of investigative or diagnostic work.

Nothing worked and I slowly resigned myself that this was just the progression of the disease.

Iíd asked a few doctors and derms to try soolantra as had always been interested in the demodex theory and saw so many success stories. However all of them were adamant that it wouldnít have helped for my case. Many were very dismissive of the role of demodex in Rosacea altogether. One time I managed to get soolantra prescribed but was unable to get it a second time as the doctor said it had little to no effect on me. Which to be honest was true.

After trying everything I decided to try the permethrin route and as noted above itís been amazing for me. After Iíve finished the three month course Iím also going to see what happens when the doxy is removed as well and see if I can remain symptom free. Obviously as we all know this crappy disease is a constant battle though , so although optimistic am staying realistic too.

Anyway, listed below is everything outside of the doxy, excel v and permethrin that I tried. These three gave me the best results. Iíll try and note results I had too for others:

Metrogel - sensitised my skin, didnít have great results

Bha 1% and 2% - moderate effect. Probably helped keep papules at bay but not really redness

Finacea - moderate results. Seemed to keep redness from spreading but didnít clear it

Soolantra - used for about 1.5 months but doctor wouldnít prescribe again. Results appeared minimal

Antifungals - clotrimazole and tebrinafine - seemingly helped for a week and then stopped

Elidel - made the redness recede, but made my skin ultra sensitive to triggers. So while it made the redness temporarily recede, if I had some wine or got stressed or ate spicy food it gave me flares worse then I had ever experienced. I had one particular week and weekend where I worked about 100 hours and was incredibly stressed and busy. By the Sunday night parts of my face had turned almost purple due to the stress the elidel seemed to put on it!!!

Genesis laser - no effect

BBL - good for skin overall but not the redness

Honey masks - minimal effect

Salt water bathing - great results for a week then returned back to usual

Rebuilding skin barrier using niacinamide, ceramides, peptides - niacinmide seemed to flare my skin while it was in an inflamed state. However good skin care, moisturiser, etc def gave my overall skin a boost but didnít cause remission

Gut health and sibo treatment - removed dairy, gluten, etc. Upped probiotics, fruit and veg. Took a course of Ďnaturalí antibiotics for about 2 months. This did seem to help somewhat in how I reacted to dietary triggers and in general the changes I made have been good for my gut health, toilet habits, etc in general. Overall though it didnít stop the advancing redness.

There is probably more to mention that I canít recall right now.

Let me know if anyone has any questions.

Permethrin is on my list to try soon as well, glad to hear it's gone so well for you!

Hi! So glad permethrin helped you. Which brand do you use, Lyclear? Do you apply it everyday with no side effects?

Quote Originally Posted by MariaSt View Post
    Hi! So glad permethrin helped you. Which brand do you use, Lyclear? Do you apply it everyday with no side effects?
    Hi Maria - yes I am using Lyclear. Itís pretty cheap in the chemist and lasts for ages.

I use every night and apply liberally all over my face. Iíve not experienced any side effects luckily.

Quote Originally Posted by dryad View Post
    Permethrin is on my list to try soon as well, glad to hear it's gone so well for you!
    Thanks Dryad. I hope it goes well for you too if you try it!

I should probably add that the redness the permethrin is helping to clear wasnít blood vessels. Iíd had excel v laser which cleared them but this redness was more of a fixed dermatitis like redness. Laser treatments had no effect on it at all

Quote Originally Posted by Brit_in_oz View Post
    I should probably add that the redness the permethrin is helping to clear wasnít blood vessels. Iíd had excel v laser which cleared them but this redness was more of a fixed dermatitis like redness. Laser treatments had no effect on it at all
    Really glad to see that you have experienced success. Great news!!
    Did you have demodex? And did it manifest itself as pimples, whiteheads, papules etc?

Quote Originally Posted by KSD69 View Post
    Really glad to see that you have experienced success. Great news!!
    Did you have demodex? And did it manifest itself as pimples, whiteheads, papules etc?
    Thanks KSD. I was never diagnosed with demodex. Whenever I asked doctors or derms it was always dismissed. Iíve mostly been trying and testing different things myself off the various papers, forums, journals, etc Iíve read.

As my skin deteriorated I first had the fixed redness across central facial area which at points did have small breakouts of red and white bumps. Iíve been taking low dose doxy though which I suspect kept the worst of it at bay.

During my treatment with permethrin I have had small patches of tiny spots, whiteheads, etc in the central region where the redness had been which I suspect may have been die off. Again I think being on the low dose doxy has prevented anything too major happening die off and breakout wise while Iíve been using permethrin.

Personally I think I could have had demodex for a while but the doxy kept any bad symptoms at bay. As my skin deteriorated I think that could be due to a higher demodex count developing or an increased sensitivity to them, hence the doxy seeming to lose its effectiveness.

Quote Originally Posted by MariaSt View Post
    Maria, have you found Lyclear here in Greece? I have a friend in the UK sending it to me by post because I couldn't find it!

I ordered it online, because it's not available in Greece.