Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4121314

Thread: Benzyl Benzoate is Working Where All Else Has Failed

Quote Originally Posted by asm View Post
    So happy that i comeback ,to share my experience, and hearing from you guys
    So it has been now more than one year thatís i am using diluted zz cream only night applications,i was cleansing with sulfur soap but I stopped using it because i recognized that it dry out my face so i was cleaning my face only with water , my face was doing well and still,but i was thinking recently that zz cream residue stayed on my face because i was cleaning only with water and I experienced dead skin when i took hot shower once a week,so i decided to purchased eucerin dermatoclean a mild cleansing milk that i decided to used it every day ,after 2weeks and boom i had rosacea flare up that i am dealing with it till now,now i using only water and zz cream
    But the weird thing that i started developing a deep cystic acne in my forehead that i never had problem with
    I donít use zz cream on my forehead because i didnít have problems there,i remember i applied one or two times in my forehead

Here is a photo of my forehead and it hurts us hell

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I used to use a microfibre cloth to gently rub away ZZ Cream residue, while in the shower. It's what I recommend to people.
    How I was cured from Demodectic / Demodex Rosacea (Types 1 & 2 & nearing 3), Seborrhoeic Dermatitis and Eczema

Got a smartphone? Then please post a non-revealing pic of your face/skin to www.imgur.com, instead of using walls of text to describe it to us. It may be the best thing you've ever done!

Quote Originally Posted by sejon View Post
    So impressed with it, I went to a pharmacy here to pick up a bottle for myself, and interestingly it even comes bundled with a 1% selenium sulphide cream -- something I'd have never encountered in the UK.

The cream is quite basic, here are the ingredients:
    Aqua, Cetyl Alcohol, Stearyl Alcohol, Sodium Ceteareth Sulfate, Glycerin, Potassium Ceteareth Phosphate, Selenium Sulfide, Parfum, Cinnamic Alcohol, DMDM Hydantoin, Citric Acid.

I'd be curious to test this just on isolated parts of my face, seeing as I have such success with selenium sulphide on my scalp.

Selsun has become my go-to for my hair and body issues. I love how it doesn't actually dry these areas out.

It's always struck me as strange how there are countless people who say that a product with selenium sulphide is the most effective one they've used yet I've never seen a cream version. I've searched extensively online but have yet to find one. At best I've found lotions that are designed to be used on hair.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryohiku View Post
    Helo Nick, Sorry I did not read the whole thing but I have some questions:

- What are your symptoms exactly?
    I realized that you had an oily skin but what about your rosacea? Do you have a tendency to flush? after eating for example? Does the BB help for flushes ?

I ask because I think I have a type of rosacea that is more "internal", I mean that I feel that my whole body is going bad, I have gastric problems, fatigue , hot flushs, etc. And I wonder if you also had these symptoms?

Because for this type of symptoms I doubt that a topical product is enough to solve the internal problem (auto-immunity or hormonal, I guess)
    I do have a tendency to flush. It isn't restricted to just typical triggers like alcohol and spicy food, though. After I eat practically anything my skin looks redder and generally just worse all round, even if I don't necessarily feel like my skin is flushing. My lips also look redder and form a red ring. It takes some time for these to die down. Considering it happens with almost everything I eat I can't pinpoint it to anything specific. I tried an antihistamine for the first time in my life the other day, but it didn't seem to do a whole lot.

I believe I also have some sort of internal issue. Going on a low fodmap diet seems to help, especially with loud stomach noises (borborygmus), which are definitely more noticeable and frequent than others because people have commented on it.

Interesting conversation about dehydration and the skin barrier. As far as I can tell no one has yet been able to definitively state the cause of skin issues like rosacea and seb derm. What they all have in common is a weakened skin/moisture barrier that results in high TEWL. I know it's an issue with my skin because my skin looks fine but feels tight after cleansing, and then after a couple of hours is an oily mess. Texture is also bad and my skin looks dull.

I know that many of us have been way too harsh with our skin over the years. I'm sure that if I just laid off my skin when I was younger any issues would now be minor. It's probably why people who have tried a "caveman regimen" have seen such great results. But for us with a severely damaged barrier it's leads to disaster, as we let bacteria and fungi go wild. I've therefore been experimenting a bit lately and have come to a couple of conclusions.

Firstly, it appears that a sulphur cleanser is good enough to keep any breakouts at bay. Yay!

I then used a ciclopirox olamine cream with mixed results. I only used it once but it resulted in breakouts, likely because it isn't designed for the face and contains ingredients that feed malassezia. However, even with these breakouts my skin looked better. I then starting applying urea 1-2 times a day as it's just about as good as it gets for reducing TEWL. It's also the go-to for dealing with excess keratin, which is a must for successfully treating seb derm. It is this excess keratin that results in thickened skin, likely the reason why I have issues with my skin texture and why seb derm is so hard to treat. Urea is practically a dream ingredient.

As urea is water soluble I just mixed it with water to make a precise solution of 5%. After 5 days my skin looked almost normal. Texture was greatly improved with my pores looking tiny for the first time. I was delighted. I also noticed something quite interesting. The first few times I applied urea it just sat on my face, making it look really shiny. However, after a few days it appeared to almost fully sink it, which told me my skin was doing a better job at retaining moisture and/or removing excess keratin.

I then increased the amount to 10%, which was too much. I also switched to Vanicream Gentle Cleanser which was a big mistake. My skin hated it and after just a couple of uses resulted in itchiness and tiny pimples. Going back down to 5% I couldn't get the same results as before and my skin was seriously oily.

It was only after I applied a couple of 10 minute sulphur masks that my skin's oiliness started to decrease. My skin is getting back to the stage where I was delighted. Dave, I therefore think you might be onto something about bacteria or fungus causing this with dehydration also being a factor.

Sulphur cleanser: good enough to keep breakouts at bay
    Urea: helpful for healing the moisture barrier, dissolving excess keratin , treating seb derm
    Sulphur mask/antifungal: needed to kill bacteria/fungi. In the case of sulphur masks, also good for keeping breakouts at bay judging by past experience

I feel like I'm finally starting to figure this all out, with urea being the biggest breakthrough.
    Last edited by Nick_1; 28th September 2019 at 12:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick_1 View Post
    It was only after I applied a couple of 10 minute sulphur masks that my skin's oiliness started to decrease. My skin is getting back to the stage where I was delighted. Dave, I therefore think you might be onto something about bacteria or fungus causing this with dehydration also being a factor.

Sulphur cleanser: good enough to keep breakouts at bay
    Urea: helpful for healing the moisture barrier, dissolving excess keratin , treating seb derm
    Sulphur mask/antifungal: needed to kill bacteria/fungi. In the case of sulphur masks, also good for keeping breakouts at bay judging by past experience

I feel like I'm finally starting to figure this all out, with urea being the biggest breakthrough.
    Hi Nick,

My symptoms over the past 12 months or so have been easily the worst I've experienced in my 12 years of suffering with my skin (save possibly for a period back near the beginning, when I now believe I was actually dealing with an entirely different condition - but that's another story).

This has occurred in the time since I experienced a truly massive spike in facial oiliness that coincided with my use of soolantra cream last year - possibly as a result of my failure to adequately wash the cream off my face, I don't know. Wharever the reason for it, I'm now extremely wary of the potential dangers of excessively oily skin - my theory being that, in my case, a significant excess of oil produced the conditions in which a bacteria and/or fungus proliferated, making my symptoms far worse than they'd been to start with.

As I said previously, the difficulty I'm experiencing at present is in striking a balance between adequate 'active' cleansing of my skin (I need to do this in order to prevent it clogging), and not prompting excess oil production (which 'active' cleansing, even at relatively low levels, seems to spur in me) - not an easy task. Thanks for the sulphur prompt, though. I'll make this the next thing I try, and report back my results.

Best wishes
    Last edited by davem81; 29th September 2019 at 06:29 PM.

Update time:

Things are going better than ever which is down to two discoveries.

Firstly, I found that there is no need to use the ciclopirox cream overnight. I can leave it on my skin for 30-45 minutes and then wash it off with a cleanser. I get all the positives but without any breakouts. I do this 1-2 times a week. My use of urea was going well but then I saw a post by Tom about his success with vitamin D to remove excess keratin. So, I started using vitamin D and MCT oil drops instead.

This new routine has led to excellent results. When I now use a beard trimmer there is no sign of any flaking. I mean none at all. Skin is also smoother with an almost normal looking tone. The ultimate test for texture is to stand side on to a window and look into a handheld mirror. While I'm not 100% sure this is all down to the vitamin D, it has surely played a large part. I've been using this for over 3 weeks.
    Tom uses 4,000 IU on his skin, but I've been using a product that contains 1,000 IU per drop. I usually apply a few drops to each area of my face, but I doubt this exactly equals out. I've been taking Vitamin D for a few years but have never noticed a difference in my skin.

My next step is to dissolve climbazole into the drops.

I also want to make a simple climbazole solution with propylene glycol and water for my back, though am unsure what the best way to do this would be.

I still use the De La Cruz sulphur ointment weekly but am looking for a gentler alternative.
    Last edited by Nick_1; 14th November 2019 at 04:06 PM.