Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112

Thread: Benzyl Benzoate is Working Where All Else Has Failed

I'm using around 25 - 30% sulphur in the De La Cruz ointment, and mixing it roughly half and half with a moisturiser. I don't think exactness is really necessary here -- it just needs to be "enough", but not so much that it dries out the skin. My guess is even 10% sulphur should be enough, provided that the formulation at least partly absorbs in the skin (like ZZ cream, for example) rather than solely sitting on the surface (like De La Cruz ointment when used alone). I base this on the fact that 10% sulphur is sufficient to kill the scabies mite, and the demodex mite is roughly the same size and has a similar exoskeleton, and is therefore unlikely to be any tougher -- the reason that it's harder to eliminate is probably due more to behavioural differences rather than physical.

Glycerin is very sticky on its own, so it might help to mix it with water (or an aloe vera gel, as previously mentioned) when applying. It's naturally present in our skin so it has a high tolerability, but the stickiness is the main reason why its usage in formulations tends to be capped at around 10%, and is usually around the 5% mark. I'm mixing the De La Cruz ointment with moisturiser each time I apply and I expect if I dissolved sulphur in glycerin instead I'd still be doing the same thing.

The only lotion I have at hand to mix with after the initial mixing with glycerin is Hada Labo but that doesn't mix particularly well. I'm guessing aloe vera and anything else water based will be the same. The past couple of nights I've had to sleep with a towel over my pillow because it doesn't absorb too well.

I think of the Hada Labo "Lotion" as really more of a toner or watery serum, in spite of its name, since I think of actual lotions and creams as being emulsions. For what it's worth, whenever I tried mixing the De La Cruz ointment with my MSM gel (which is just water, MSM, and a gelling agent), it would spread more easily but not absorb at all. It was only when I mixed it with a cream emulsion, like Cerave Baby Cream or Eucerin Replenishing Cream, that it absorbed. Maybe with glycerin the same would be the case.

It's been a few months since I last posted. I've been trying some products I haven't used before with promising results.

I've completely stopped using ZZ cream. It's okay but it isn't really the answer and I don't like using ingredients I know to feed malassezia on my face. I searched high and low for a replacement until I came across a product from Thailand with a near perfect ingredient list to fight demodex called Seven Stars Ointment.

It contains the precipitated form of sulphur along with a few other useful ingredients. Per 100g contains 10g of precipitated sulphur, 40g of zinc oxide, 100mg of menthol, 100mg of borneol, 50mg of camphor and 50mg of peppermint oil. I used this nightly for 6 weeks and now about once a week for maintenance. The things I don't like about this ointment is that it's quite hard to apply, you'll end up looking like a geisha once applied, it's difficult to wash off in the morning and I have no idea what the base is. I may completely stop using it just to see what happens.

I've been using Selsun 2.5% shampoo for the past couple of months. There always seems to be a shortage of this stuff, so I stocked up. For dandruff it seems to do a better job at eliminating flakes than dealing with itchiness. I really like how it doesn't dry out the hair though. It works about as well as anything I've ever used on my body and doesn't dry it out like other shampoos.

For the past couple of weeks I've also been using it as a cleanser every 3-4 days, leaving it on for 1-2 minutes. I never thought seb derm was a huge issue but having caught my face in a couple of mirrors lately it's more of an issue I cared to believe. The greasiness and redness becomes very apparent in clear daylight and harsh lighting. I know people say not to use shampoo on your face, but it's gentler than other shampoos and has all but eliminated flaking in my beard and moustache area. Even if you're not comfortable using shampoo on your face, I'm sure your beard area can handle it if that is an area of concern. I'm also seeing good results with the greasiness and redness. I will continue to use this every few days. I'm also thinking about ordering Vanicream Z-bar from abroad. Its ingredient list sounds better than other zinc pyrithione soaps, and lots of people have had success with zinc pyrithione soaps. Even I did sometime ago until I overdid it. I generally don't like soaps because they leave a build-up on my skin. There's also Happy Cappy shampoo that is completely malassezia safe.

I love sulphur and have wanted to use a cleanser that contains it for years. I don't think you can get sulfacetamide sodium/sulfur cleansers as a prescription in the UK. I've used sulphur soap in the past but that just dried out my skin. I just found a product called Kate Somerville EradiKate Cleanser. It contains 3% sulphur and the only questionable ingredient is sodium cocoyl isethionate. It's arriving next week.

At this stage I'm trying to move away from overnight treatments. Going forward I plan to primarily use Selsun shampoo and the sulphur cleanser. Maybe I'll throw in some sulphur masks too for good measure.

Thanks for the update, Nick!

As for me, I've kept my routine pretty simple as of late. In the mornings I rinse my face with just water and apply Hada Labo Premium Lotion. Then in the evening I'll do the same, and follow up with a fingertip's worth of ZZ cream mixed with a fingertip's worth of the Ducray Kelual DS cream. i also do a 30-minute honey mask a few times a week, which does a good job of calming down irritation.

I returned to ZZ cream because I found my custom sulphur mix was really wrecking my face, causing rashes and deep oozing cysts that took ages to heal -- I figured these reactions were very intense die-offs, and for a while I thought with continued use it would eventually pass, but instead the breakouts just happened over and over again even over the course of several months, prompting me to eventually relent. The ZZ cream breakouts are more manageable as those tend to involve more superficial whiteheads and pustules rather than painful nodules and cysts. My only guess for the difference in my reactions to the two treatments is that the custom sulphur mix was penetrating more deeply and killing demodex residing deeper in the pores, which seems like a good idea in theory, but in practice means deeper acne that's potentially more damaging.

I'm 2 months into nightly ZZ cream application and appear to be ending another breakout phase, so hopefully this will be the end of it, but I intend to continue using it nightly for at least another couple of months.

How I was cured from Demodectic / Demodex Rosacea (Types 1 & 2 & nearing 3), Seborrhoeic Dermatitis and Eczema

Got a smartphone? Then please post a non-revealing pic of your face/skin to www.imgur.com, instead of using walls of text to describe it to us. It may be the best thing you've ever done!

I was wondering how you were getting along with your custom sulphur mix. It sounds like you now have a simple regimen that effectively treats both demodex and malassezia conditions. That experience must have been brutal though. I wonder if it was at least partly caused by irritation.

What I don't get about treating demodex is that the die-offs seem to be never-ending. When I switched from ZZ cream to the other ointment I went through the same cycle of die-offs with any treatment intended to treat demodex. Breakout after the first few days and then a worse one after 2-3 weeks. This always seems to be the case, even after having treated demodex for a few years. It doesn't make much sense to me. I wonder at what point it becomes better to try and keep the population in check or clear the bacteria left behind instead of continuously trying to eliminate them. This is why I'm moving away from overnight treatments and like the idea of a sulphur cleanser and masks. It also gives my skin the chance to heal overnight.

The sulphur cleanser I ordered came early. It's only been a few days but this will definitely be a staple unless I start reacting badly to it. I also started using HMW hyaluronic acid again in an attempt to improve the texture/thickness of my skin. I really liked the stuff until I (perhaps wrongly) attributed it to breaking me out and stopped. Frustratingly the one I used to use doesn't seem as thick as it once was after sitting in my bathroom cabinet and is no longer available in the UK.

What I don't get about treating demodex is that the die-offs seem to be never-ending. When I switched from ZZ cream to the other ointment I went through the same cycle of die-offs with any treatment intended to treat demodex. Breakout after the first few days and then a worse one after 2-3 weeks. This always seems to be the case, even after having treated demodex for a few years. It doesn't make much sense to me. I wonder at what point it becomes better to try and keep the population in check or clear the bacteria left behind instead of continuously trying to eliminate them.
    I've definitely wondered the same. When I first tried my mix of De La Cruz with additional sublimated sulphur, my face exploded with breakouts, but I took solace in the presumption that more intense breakouts meant more demodex were dying, which in turn suggested future breakouts would be minimal. Instead the breakouts continued in cycles, with brief moments of clarity between, and with varying degrees of intensity, for several months.

ZZ cream has done a pretty poor job in stemming breakouts also, but I switched back to it because at least those breakouts are more superficial. If the breakouts continue like this for another few months, then it'll be time to abandon this whole strategy altogether and return to what has kept me at least ~90% clear in the past (retinoids / AHA's). I'm giving it one last round of long, consistent use.

Since you’re getting what I’d describe as partially good results with sulfur, why don’t you try another brand of lotion? I say this because it sounds like you’re having an allergic reaction, or have developed a sensitivity, to something else in the product you’re using. Here’s a generic type list of sulfur products, https://www.mayoclinic.org/drugs-sup...n/drg-20066155 , and here’s a random product I googled, “10% Sulfur Ointment - Skin Care - Go All Natural ! No PEG (Zero Polyethylene Glycol) by San Marcos.”