Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast

Thread: Benzyl Benzoate is Working Where All Else Has Failed

I see! Thanks! I personally am very sensitive to perfume and smell, and my eyes react really bad to for example the horsepaste with apple smell and even the menthol in zz-cream. I got a cream from my derm with sulphur in it, and I went around smelling eggs all day. I had to sleep with toilet paper in my nose. Looking back I remember stopping that sulphur cream treatment because it made me red, which in hindsight was probably some reaction to a pathogenic state of my skin and not the cream itself. I look forward to trying your CeraVe + sulphur mix, though

I can now attest that Hibiscrub (UK) / Hibiclens (US) is a highly effective adjunctive treatment to relieve the infections caused by demodex die-off.

I'm into week 6 of my sulphur treatment, and like clockwork, I've been getting a new wave of breakouts, presumably from the eggs hatching. I've just used Hibiscrub twice so far and have noticed a remarkable reduction in inflammation, and the dry, tight sensation that comes with each breakout has disappeared. This is surprising because I had expected, if anything, that Hibiscrub would cause additional dryness rather than relieve it, due to the 4% alcohol content. Granted, it's intended as a wash, so I leave it on my skin for only a minute or so before rinsing it off.

There are many reports of chlorhexidine gluconate being damaging to the eardrums and eyes, but seeing as it's only the lower half of my face that's troublesome, I don't intend to use it anywhere else. I also only intend to use it when there's active inflammation present -- if my skin is visibly already healing, then I think it's pointless to apply it. But now I wish I had this at my disposal during the severe die-offs I experienced in my first few weeks of sulphur treatment.

It stands to reason that a strong antibacterial would mitigate the die-off reaction, since it's from a bacterial overload. Yet, rather disappointingly, hypochlorous acid spray had no noticeable effect, so I didn't have my hopes high for Hibiscrub. I'm very pleasantly surprised so far and hope the results can be maintained.

Thanks for sharing! Would this have a similar effect on a malassezia die-off? Also, is using it on the nose too close to the eyes, you reckon? The only concern I have is disrupting the skins bacterial flora, are you concerned of this or is my understanding too naive here?
    I have personally used the hypochlorous acid on my perioral area with success, after I experienced inflammation after a die-off, but I think I have a combined issue of fungus and demodex. Anyway, it the h.a. spray mitigated the inflammation response in my case, but maybe your die-off is substantially more severe

Quote Originally Posted by rednessator View Post
    Thanks for sharing! Would this have a similar effect on a malassezia die-off?
    If the issue is strictly fungal, my guess is that it wouldn't. However, my belief is that dermatitis might often have both a fungal and bacterial component at play.

Also, is using it on the nose too close to the eyes, you reckon?
    That should be fine, so long as you're careful.

The only concern I have is disrupting the skins bacterial flora, are you concerned of this or is my understanding too naive here?
    If it were to be used on a frequent basis in the long term, that would certainly be a concern. If used only for brief periods as an emergency measure when there is active inflammation, or as a spot treatment, then I don't think there's much of a risk.

I have personally used the hypochlorous acid on my perioral area with success, after I experienced inflammation after a die-off, but I think I have a combined issue of fungus and demodex. Anyway, it the h.a. spray mitigated the inflammation response in my case, but maybe your die-off is substantially more severe
    My theory is that it's down to the formulation. Hypochlorous acid might be just as effective an antibacterial as chlorhexidine, but perhaps the Hibiscrub formulation allows it to penetrate the skin better so it can treat deeper infections.

Interesting indeed! That clarifies things for me! Iíll buy some myself and see how it works!

sejon, I'm probably going to give up on oat groats as an overnight demodex treatment and return to good old dependable sulphur. I'd prefer not to use ZZ cream again due to the ingredients in it that feed malassezia. There is no way I can handle De La Cruz ointment on my skin for 30 minutes let alone overnight. So that leaves Nu-Stock again or mixing sublimed sulphur.

Is there a really lightweight moisturiser or lotion that mixes well with sublimed sulphur that you would recommend? Something like Hada Labo lotion or Sebamed Clear Face Gel, though I don't think they will mix well. Even better would be a single ingredient like aloe vera or something along those lines. Also, how do you actually measure how much to mix in?

Quote Originally Posted by Nick_1 View Post
    sejon, I'm probably going to give up on oat groats as an overnight demodex treatment and return to good old dependable sulphur. I'd prefer not to use ZZ cream again due to the ingredients in it that feed malassezia. There is no way I can handle De La Cruz ointment on my skin for 30 minutes let alone overnight. So that leaves Nu-Stock again or mixing sublimed sulphur.

Is there a really lightweight moisturiser or lotion that mixes well with sublimed sulphur that you would recommend? Something like Hada Labo lotion or Sebamed Clear Face Gel, though I don't think they will mix well. Even better would be a single ingredient like aloe vera or something along those lines. Also, how do you actually measure how much to mix in?
    How can zz cream feeds malassezia and kill demodex ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Nick_1 View Post

I'm a bit puzzled as to how your skin can handle Nu-stock but not the De La Cruz ointment. Is the polyethylene glycol irritating for you? If so, you could try dissolving sublimed sulphur in equal parts glycerin instead. The result would be sticky, because glycerin is sticky, but polyethylene glycol is buttery and greasy, so it wouldn't be any worse cosmetically speaking. I use a digital scale to measure amounts.

I'm doubtful that sublimed sulphur would mix well with more watery products like Hada Labo or Sebamed gel. Maybe their glycol content would make it possible, but the only way to know is to try. It definitely wouldn't mix with aloe vera gel since that's essentially 99% water. But if you dissolve it in glycerin first, I expect that it would mix well with practically anything water-based.

How can zz cream feeds malassezia and kill demodex ?
    ZZ Cream probably contains wheatgerm oil and polysorbate 80, both of which would feed Malassezia. I say "probably" because the actual ingredients of ZZ Cream aren't disclosed, but their "cosmetic" version does disclose its ingredients and contains these, and they state that the base for the two creams is mostly the same.
    Last edited by sejon; 14th April 2019 at 08:18 AM.

Thanks, sejon, I'll try to mix with some glycerin to make maybe a 25% mix. If I can handle Nu-Stock, it must be the polyethylene glycol that doesn't agree with my skin.

So the sulphur powder and glycerin arrived. I used a digital measuring spoon to accurately make a mixture that contains 20% sulphur. It's been sitting on my skin for the past few hours with no issues, so it must have been the polyethylene glycol that I'm sensitive to.

Sejon, what percentage are you using it at? Earlier in the thread you mentioned that you upped the De La Cruz ointment to 25-30% and then mixed half-and-half with a moisturiser, giving a 12.5-15% sulphur content. Is this still the percentage you are using? I'm wondering what the best way of doing this might be. 20% probably isn't sustainable, so it might be better to start off with 20% and then drop down to 10-12.5%. Then again, glycerin doesn't absorb into the skin particularly well, so a higher percentage might be okay. I'm thinking it might be worth adding a drop or two of TTO in there too.
    Last edited by Nick_1; 19th April 2019 at 10:15 AM.