Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Benzyl Benzoate is Working Where All Else Has Failed

Firstly, I bought some sublimed sulphur (more commonly labelled as "flowers of sulphur") and added it to the De La Cruz ointment to increase the sulphur concentration to about 25 - 30%. It blends in easily when stirred.

I mix the ointment roughly half-and-half with a moisturiser on my fingers and then apply the mixture to my entire face (and slightly beyond, such as around the ears and the upper neck). This is why I increased the sulphur content of the ointment, since I never apply it without diluting it with a moisturiser. The polyethylene glycol in the ointment is not at all cosmetically acceptable, and almost none of it absorbs into the skin, but when mixed with an emulsion in a typical moisturiser, it absorbs far better. The skin still feels tacky after applying, but it doesn't have that excessive greasiness, and if applied this way right before bed, I've noticed that even the tackiness has disappeared by the next morning.

I don't really know if it's necessary to up the sulphur concentration, but my skin handles sulphur without any issues. On the other hand, if you don't add any additional sulphur to the De La Cruz ointment, which is 10% sulphur on its own, and you mix it half-and-half with a moisturiser, then it effectively becomes a 5% sulphur concentration, which might not be strong enough.

After applying it nightly for a few days, my face experienced a lot of dryness at first, but with continued use that's no longer been a problem. Interestingly, that's exactly what happened during my first week of ZZ cream, too. Now I'm applying the ointment every other night.

Maybe I have not read through this thread carefully enough, but how do you guys treat demodex on scalp?
    Nick_1: Do you use BB on scalp as well?

If I recall correctly I used BB mixed with hada labo lotion and left it on overnight. Now I use a shampoo from demodex.co.uk, which is quite expensive and probably not worth it, followed by a tea tree oil conditioner. I also use an antifungal shampoo. I'm thinking of now using oat groat overnight too.

Have you tried Selsun shampoo (selenium sulphide 2.5%)? I've seen it mentioned a few times for treating demodex on the scalp. Incidentally it's one of the few shampoos that managed to get my dandruff under control, although I don't know if there was demodex involvement. I still use it on a weekly basis, alternating between that and Sebamed Anti-Dandruff shampoo.

sejon, where do you buy 2.5% Selsun shampoo from? It's out of the stock in every UK pharmacist online. I can find a 1% one from Selsun, Head and Shoulders and L'Oreal. People must really like it because this seems a bit ridiculous: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Selsun-Sh...QAAOSwW0tchCw1

I bought it on chemistdirect.co.uk but that was at least 2 or 3 years ago (I go through shampoo very slowly since I alternate between a few). I notice it's listed as "out of stock" on their site now, and the fact that it's suddenly so hard to find makes me wonder if they're no longer producing it? That'd be a real bummer since I had very good results with it.

Nick_1: Yes, I've used oat groat overnight as well, it helps somewhat with the keratin buildup I have, but not sure yet... I have generally made my own solutions, like you, but I wish there were a great anti-demodex shampoo

Sejon: How is that shampoo with regards to sensitive skin? Is it not harsh?

I don't find it harsh at all, but I don't have sensitive skin on my scalp, and I only use it once a week.

This was the case report that led me to believe selenium sulphide 2.5% could be useful for this purpose.

In other news, I've still been applying sulfur a few nights each week, and it's approaching a month since I started this. I'm still getting breakouts, even though not nearly as severe as the ones I dealt with in the first two weeks. A lot of the spots have been forming around the margins of my lips, which I believe is one of the areas demodex loves.

I decided to switch out the De La Cruz ointment for Cerave Baby Cream. The cream comes in a large tube, so I dispensed some of it into a small jar, and added the sublimed sulphur to it and stirred it in. It mixed surprisingly well, although not quite as easily as the De La Cruz ointment, but I much prefer having a cream base for this than the polethylene glycol.

I chose the Cerave Baby Cream over their regular cream because I've tried the latter in the past and found it caused some congestion in my skin. Interestingly, even though the Baby version has almost the exact same ingredients list, the formulation is still different enough that it doesn't clog my pores.

With the sulphur added it leaves a fair bit of residue if I apply too much, which reminds me a lot of the ZZ cream, so I'll try to be more sparing with it moving forward. Despite the flaky residue making it look like my face is dry, the moisturising ingredients in the Cerave cream actually counteract any drying effect of the high sulphur content, so I don't feel any dryness when I wake up in the morning.

Interestingly, a study from last year has postulated the exact same thing that I've been saying:

Patients with large papulopustules tended to have a lower SSSB1 but higher SSSB2 than those with small papulopustules, although these differences were not statistically significant: this observation suggests that large papulopustules may be caused by more deeply situated D. folliculorum mites. Indeed, the depth of the inflammatory reaction may determine the size of the papulopustules: more superficial mites (D. folliculorum identified on the SSSB1) may induce more superficial inflammation, resulting in smaller and more superficial papulopustules; however, more deeply situated mites (deeply situated D. folliculorum identified on the SSSB2 or D. brevis) may induce inflammation at deeper levels, resulting in larger, deeper papulopustules.
    Nodules and cysts have been a rarity for me for the past few years -- normally I just get whiteheads or papules & pustules -- yet in just the past month of high-strength sulphur treatment, I developed 4 or 5 cysts and I lost count of the nodules (I'd say at least 12?), in addition to all the p&p's. The sheer variety of spots was remarkable -- some of them more closely resembled bumps from insect bites than typical acne lesions. Also, quite a few spots would heal, scab over, and then a few days or even a week later would get reinfected.

I sprayed my face with hypochlorous acid a couple times a day in hope that it would help all the inflammation but I doubt it did much at all. I really regret not trying the Hibiscrub wash during this time.

As I type this, the right side of my chin is covered in big scabs, such as one from a cyst that took at least a couple weeks to heal, and another from a rash under the right corner of my mouth. On the plus side I at least have no active lesions (although I should probably knock on wood as I say this). All in all, the second week was the most severe, then I thought I was seeing light at the end of the tunnel during the 3rd week, but had another setback during the 4th week. It's the 5th week now. I'm not getting my hopes up that this is the end of it, since I recall the typical treatment timeline mentions another breakout during weeks 5-7. Even though this treatment seems very strong, I'm doubtful that sulphur even at higher concentrations can destroy the mite eggs, so experiencing a few waves of breakouts shouldn't be surprising.

My reaction when using ZZ cream was nowhere near as severe, nor did I develop any cysts or nodules, which, as previously mentioned, leads me to believe that this treatment is killing more deep-seated demodex that the ZZ cream couldn't.

The fact that I've had to go through yet another round of treatment with a nasty die-off just goes to show how easy re-infestation can happen. I don't want to repeat my mistake, so i'll be applying high-strength sulphur 2-3 times a week for at least 6 months (but probably even longer). Sublimed sulphur is cheap and the drying effects are manageable with moisturiser, so I really have no excuse not to.
    Last edited by sejon; 8th April 2019 at 10:22 AM.