Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Food Experiment Open Diary

Quote Originally Posted by sg321 View Post
    In my opinion, many food reactions can be attributed to not being able to digest the food properly rather than the food itself.

As I’ve mentioned on other threads, taking Betaine HCL + digestive enzymes as helped my meal flushing. Betaine HCL helps break down proteins and if you ever took stomach acid reducing drugs like I did for years, then you likely aren’t making enough stomach acid to break down your food.

I also avoid grains, gluten, sugar, and dairy as these are inflammatory foods that our bodies are not equipped to break down in the first place. Plus dairy messes with hormones, and the HCL + enzymes never helped with those inflammatory foods anyway. Now I eat protein with low FodMap veggies and sprouted flax/chia and my digestion is the best it’s ever been.
    That's interesting.....

I started taking Tums when I went on a diet this summer (which precipitated my 3 worst flare-ups) to both reduce stomach acid and to deal with the massive amounts of acidic foods I was eating, and to help feel less hungry (too much stomach acid makes me feel hungry even when I'm not), as well as for the calcium supplement. Granted I haven't taken them "for years" but I was taking them immediately before and then throughout my "summer from Hell". I also have taken ranitidine on and off for many years. I don't know if I am underproducing stomach acid... I do know that I have fantastic digestion in general, or at least, that's how I experience it. It's practically the only system in my body that never gives me problems.

Default Food Diary

Hiya,

I am sorry that it took me so long to reply. I had some personal issues to deal with yesterday which probably contributed to my skin outbreak more than the diet.

Hi Dryad - I am so glad that your skin is getting better . It looks like the diet is really influencing the skin. I am hoping that the laser will really help. I am thinking about the laser myself as I am on the antibiotics for three months and will be continuing for another three months. I had bad side effects the first two months but now it looks that my body is getting used to them.

For last two days I was eating little because I was stressed out and my skin was bad and mainly carrot and chicken and tried to drink a lot of water (I am lacking behind today) and my skin is much better but I am starting looking like a skeleton... However, I can declare based on my experience that chicken and carrot is really safe food.

I've also eaten red lentil and cauliflower and eggs and I think that I was flushing after the eggs but I am not sure because i was preparing for the presentation so I was feeling stressed (usually in my pre rosacean times I liked this kind of stress) but now just sets me of. Plus one interesting thing I was back on my daily commute (one hour on train every journey) and this time the train was really cold and guess what my skin didn't flare up. It is the heat which sets me off not the travelling so if the temperature will be less than 20 degrees Celsium I would be fine.
    Last edited by Shadow_y; 5th September 2018 at 12:49 PM. Reason: Remembered something

I should also add that I try to follow Dr Gundry’s lechtin avoidance diet. I’ve read his books and find that he gives good guidance on what foods and how they are prepared can reduce inflammation and autoimmune issues.
    https://gundrymd.com/plant-paradox-shopping-list/

Shadow - that's great that you've identified heat as a trigger. I think it is for me too, especially a blast of heat to the face (like opening an oven). I hide out in the AC all summer!

I haven't tried carrots yet but I think they are generally considered a low-inflammation type food. Chicken doesn't seem to bother me either. I don't eat it often (maybe 1x/month) but it is a nice change from the daily fish!

I've been back to a "2" for yesterday and today, which is okay. That's my normal baseline. If I have a "1" day once in a while, I'll celebrate!

Yesterday I don't think I tried anything new... I had almonds, coffee, milk, stevia, salmon, peanut butter, and sweet potato which are all known safe foods for me.

Today looks like it will be more of the same... I'm out of sweet potatoes so maybe I will double up on fish... so boring but I haven't had a chance to figure out what I want to add next.

I am continuing on with the no eggs for a few more days to see if that helps. I never noticed a flush directly after eating eggs, but if I have a delayed reaction to them it would be worth knowing. Today is Day 4 without eggs, so too soon to say anything about it. I'm in PMS but face hasn't flared up yet. Fingers crossed I'll skip my usual PMS flare-up this month!!

sg321 - I know of that diet, it's far too restrictive even for me because I live on a small Greek island and only about 5-10% of the allowed foods are accessible here. I think the elimination diet with slowly adding back in the things that are available where I live is the best option for me given how hard it is to find anything out of the ordinary where I live!

Default Food Diary

Hiya All,

I had the look at the diet and it is good to have the list of foods which I can start adding to the experiment. As my skin calmed down I am proceeding with trying olives and so far so good.

As Dryad said one of problems is how to prepare food (once you identified the safe one). I cannot imagine that I will cooking at the hot stove right now so basically right now my diet comprises of cold meats and veg which is quite nice but I am worried that by doing that I am starving my body of the essential vitamins and minerals found elsewhere.

Will you know the things are later.

S.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow_y View Post
    Hiya All,

I cannot imagine that I will cooking at the hot stove right now so basically right now
    Yup, same. The fish I eat every day? Canned -- but it's what I can afford (a daily fish habit is not cheap!) and it's already prepared in a sauce that is pretty tasty so I don't even care. I get the sardines on sale for about 50 cents/can which is hard to beat, and lunch takes me about 10 seconds to prepare. If I were to go to a restaurant I'd love to have fresh fish lovingly prepared but for now this is fine.

Skin is holding steady at a "2" despite being in full-on PMS, so that's great. This time last month I had the onset of my terrible flare-up. Fingers crossed I make it through PMS without getting a skin reaction!

Food yesterday was just what I said before, nothing fancy. I ended up having grapes, almonds, peanut butter and a second serving of fish yesterday.

Today I have my sweet potatoes again so they will be back on the menu. Continuing to stay away from EGGS for now. I'm thinking -- this is my strategic mindset lol -- that maybe during the times that are particularly dangerous like PMS and ovulation, I should avoid eggs, but the rest of the month I can have them?

I'm glad your skin calmed down S. I think olives are a good addition if you like them. I don't usually like olives but there is one kind I really do like -- they are wrinkled like raisins, I don't know what they are called in English but they taste completely differently from regular olives and for people who don't like olives, they are worth a try.

Default Food Diary

Hiya,

I woke up and the skin was looking quite good (red patches on the cheeks but not angry raw red with swelling and no new pimples), I see how long it will last.

Haha, like your analogy with eggs but I don't think that things are so straightforward. My menses now have been and gone but maybe the bad days I was having coincided with the (pre) start of menses. I thought that it was emotional stress but it could have also been something hormonal.

There is nothing wrong with the canned fish - I am not sure about them because I've read that they are high in histamine and I had really bad violent reaction to the peanuts which calmed down when I took antihistamine (desperation) so I am not that keen on experimenting with them but if you don't have reaction I might start to add little of them to the diet. I have nice piece of salmon in the freezer (should be a safe food) but I am worried how to cooked it without being in the heat (microwave it from frozen - doesn't sound too nice to eat).

S.

Default Stomach acid

Hi All,

This is a bit of disgusting post (apologise in advance)

That is so interesting about stomach acid. I have migraines (didn't have one for a long time now thankfully) and I always vomited a lot with them (sorry that's disgusting) - could have I lowered my stomach acid that way? I am no doctor - I have no idea - is there any test I could do?

S.

I'm no doctor but it would seem to me that having vomited a lot at particular times in the past wouldn't affect your stomach acid in the here and now, after all, vomiting is a normal bodily function, as unpleasant as it is, and it seems unlikely that something that discrete could throw you off permanently? That's just my logical thinking on it though. Now if you had cyclical vomiting syndrome or bulimia or something like that where you were vomiting on a regular basis daily for years then I think you'd be looking at a much higher chance of something going wrong there.

Here in Greece there is something of an old wives' tale that says you shouldn't drink water with food, because it dilutes your stomach acid and makes digestion slower. However I was very recently reading someplace that that's been debunked, and drinking water before or during a meal doesn't actually have that effect. It seems to make sense that it would dilute it, but maybe the stomach just compensates by producing more? I don't know nearly enough about these issues to comment on them intelligently (this comment notwithstanding lol!!!) but I think the gist of it was, the stomach seeks to rebalance its acid levels regardless of what you do to it. But once you add something like a pharmaceutical anti-acid to the mix, then the stomach doesn't stand a chance. Which is probably why taking omeprazole or ranitidine or even Tums (calcium carbonate) like I was doing could potentially throw it off.

---

I woke up to a pretty good face this morning -- I'm giving it a "2" but properly it's closer to a "1.5". But what really blows me away is the texture: it is soft and smooth... I don't remember it ever being this nice, pretty much in my life. And I'm not really doing that much. My current skin care routine is as follows: (Yes, it's time consuming and sounds ridiculous but it's really not that much going on.)

Morning:
    -- gently apply Bioderma Hydrabio micellar water with a cotton pad and allow to air dry
    -- apply clindamycin 1% lotion (Dalacin C by Pfizer) and allow to air dry
    -- wait 1 hour
    -- spray face liberally with Avene Thermal Spring Water spray, allow to air dry
    -- apply Uriage D.S Emulsion (moisturizer formulated for seb derm)

At some point during the day:
    -- spray face with Vichy Thermal Spring Water spray, allow to air dry

Night:
    -- Bioderma Hydrabio micellar water again, air dry
    -- spray face liberally with Octenisept (a prescription topical similar to hydrogen peroxide that's safe for mucus membranes), air dry
    -- clindamycin 1%, air dry
    -- wait 1 hour
    -- Avene spray, air dry
    -- Uriage D.S. Emulsion

In terms of actual prescription topicals, all I'm putting on it is the 1% clindamycin lotion 2x/day and the Octenisept which is just an antiseptic spray 1x/day. I'm not taking anything by mouth. I was taking doxy and pro/prebiotics but I'm off those now. So the pharmaceutical load is very, very low right now, and my skin is better than it's been in years.

---

As far as food goes -- continuing on in the same way. I feel like I want to hold it steady for a little while with these foods, I have instructions from my endocrinologist to hit the salmon hard (I'm vitamin D deficient and on therapy for that), so I think daily fish is what it's going to be for the foreseeable future, and I'm managing okay with out the eggs. As long as I can have either almonds OR eggs, I am okay, and the almonds seem fine.

Yesterday's full-day menu was:
    coffee, stevia, 1.5% milk (25g), almonds, salmon in tomato-mango sauce, sweet potato.

(What I ate was very nutritious, but it was not adequate in terms of quantity.)

For anyone wondering why I'm eating salmon with a tomato-based sauce when I seem to think tomatoes are a trigger -- it's a valid question lol. Canned salmon is tasteless and depressing, and this sauce is delicious, that's the main reason, but also it just doesn't seem to be bothering me. Maybe because it's a small quantity, maybe because it's soooo cooked, maybe I'd have even better results if I stopped eating it, I dunno folks. Maybe at some point I will switch out this salmon for the (much less appetizing) mustard-dill sauce version and see if it makes a difference. Sorry for all the hypocrisy lol.

Default Food Diary

Hey,

that's amazing - you are doing a really good progress by the sound of it. I am going to stock pile on canned salmon, sweet potatoes and Vichy thermal water .

I've just eaten the chicken, avocado, carrot, green peas and sweetcorn salad. However, I probably should have avoided green peas and sweetcorn. Face feels a bit swollen but having like ton of makeup on my face doesn't show the redness through (I am at work so I have to look presentable) but thankfully no attacks.

Keep up the good work - I am glad that is working for you.

You are right, it was just a thought reading about the stomach acid. I had only one migraine in three months whilst I was diagnosed with Rosacea. It actually might be the antibiotics or the simple fact that I am drinking more water but I am not complaining . That is one positive for sure.

S.