Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Food Experiment Open Diary

Definitely do a search on the forum for hair loss / thinning hair as it is associated with rosacea! My mom has very advanced rosacea and has had thin hair for decades. It doesn't keep falling out (at least not in her case), it just gets to a more thinned out state and stays there. I haven't had that happen YET but I'm sure it's coming.

I am holding steady at my baseline redness so I added almonds today as my new experiment. The peanut butter (which I had every day for I think 4 days) didn't bother me at all. Almonds are tree nuts and are supposed to be a trigger so we shall see. I'll be doing 17g at a time (about 100 calories). I had them for breakfast by themselves this morning to see what would happen...

Yesterday I made a vegetable soup with all the "allowed" vegetables and it was horrible, I couldn't eat all of it because it was so bad. I really do not like the foods that are considered "safe for rosacea". My soup had mushrooms, red cabbage, carrot, okra, garlic, and a few little bits of other vegetables I had lying around and it was so gross. I choked it down because I need vegetables / fiber somehow. Also had some grapes and peanut butter. Neither the grapes nor the peanut butter seem to bother me.

We shall see how it goes with the almonds...

Default Food diary

OMG!!! Will add to my research and vitamins. I think I try that Aloe Vera. You just didn't like the soup or it worsen the condition? What I really dislike is that I cannot just meet my friends for coffee. Drinking water just insn't the same. I ate today three chicken breasts with whole avocado and green salad, apple and tinned tuna. Felt swelling and the baseline redness got worse after tinned tuna, slight swelling but no change in colour after apple. Bit concerned that I don't give my body enough food to fight the rosacea off.

Default Food diary

Oh and I had a cold nettle tea. No reaction.

Default Food diary

I can recommend avocado- I didn't have any reaction to it. I am quite worried to try peanut butter as I have horrible violent reaction to peanuts.

The problem with the soup was the TASTE! I hated it. I usually love soups, but they always have the things I actually like in them. I just do not enjoy pretty much ANY of the "safe for rosacea" foods out there. All my most hated foods are on that list. Avocado is one of the foods I just can't stand the taste of! I don't even like guacamole much less straight up avocado. Which is really too bad because it's supposed to be completely rosacea-safe.

My tip for meeting friends for coffee, is sparkling water, I always order that and sometimes they put lemon or lime in it which I think is fine, okay it's fruit technically but a slice of lime isn't going to do anything. And it's a lot nicer, to me at least, than plain water. I actually own a cafe and can't drink pretty much anything I sell, it's ridiculous, but I get a very nice local sparkling water from a nearby island to the one I'm on (I'm in an archipelago lol) and I drink that when I'm at my cafe and order something similar anywhere else.

I am also worried about the undereating that seems to come along with this elimination diet type thing. I know I'm undereating according to every single guideline out there, at my current weight and to lose weight at a healthy rate (which, again, I am trying to do) I should be eating about 1500 calories/day, my endocrinologist suggested 1600-1800 calories/day, well, yesterday I had 1034 calories but my average over the past 11 weeks is 787 calories/day. That's almost 3 months at about half what I should be getting. It's great for losing weight but it's kind of shady for nutrition. If I could find something to eat that I actually like, I would probably eat more. I like peanut butter, and I can eat that, but after about a tablespoon of it, I feel like I can't eat any more of it. It's not the sort of thing I can eat in a large quantity after all!

Well, yesterday was... interesting!

I had "normal" (for me) food all day, but then I made some muffins for my cafe and one of them caved in because I had so much filling left over that I decided to just make a muffin that was mostly filling and give it to my husband... but then I thought... you know what... I am just going to eat the darn muffin. So I had a muffin last night... it was a cornbread muffin with lime creme filling... meaning, it had: flour, sugar, milk, and cream cheese -- all things that we are NOT supposed to eat!!!! (It was delicious by the way omg. I regret nothing. It may have screwed up the Official Nature of my elimination diet but it was soooo good!)

Woke up this morning, face is whiter than it's been in months. So I'm not upset about it. The quantities were pretty small. The muffin was the size of a smallish cupcake, not a proper American-sized muffin. Total calories for the muffin w/ extra filling was 353 calories so you can get an idea of the size of it.

The other big Experiment yesterday was... ALMONDS! I had 17g of them for breakfast, caused no problems. Had another 16g of them today for breakfast, so far so good. I'll keep going with those for breakfast and hopefully they will remain not a trigger.

I'm continuing also with having either decaf coffee or half-caff coffee with 1.5% milk (20-30g) and stevia powder once/day and so far haven't had an issue with that one either.

So yesterday's food altogether was:
    coffee, 1.5% milk, almonds, sardines in sunflower oil, raw onion, 145g frozen green grapes, grilled chicken breast, 80g nonfat Greek yogurt, capers, cornbread muffin w/ lime creme filling.

No reaction from any of those. My husband took a new photo of my face but hasn't messaged it to me yet so I can't upload it. It looks good *for me* but (although I haven't seen the photo yet) probably pretty bad to others, but that's okay, I'm only comparing myself to myself before!

Default Food diary

Hiya I am glad that you are feeling better. One small muffin cannot hurt you that much. I am having bad day. I woke up with perfect almost white face. But when I got distressed and I is really bad again. Yesterday I ate chi cken roasted with veg (broccoli, peas, sweetcorn? Carrot) , two green apples, one red, olives and olive oil, cold green tea. No reaction

Sorry to hear that you're having a worse day. On the flip side the fact that you still have the ability to have a perfect face when you wake up is awesome! I don't know if I do or if my baseline redness is permanent at this point.

Yesterday my food was very "standard" for me.

coffee, 1.5% milk, stevia powder, whole raw almonds, salmon, green grapes, eggs, and peanut butter.

Food today was the same as yesterday except I had whitebait (a very small fish) instead of the eggs. Otherwise identical.

I graded my face a "2" out of 4 today but I think the redness is starting to worsen again. I was hungrier than usual today as well and I think both of those are signs of PMS.

Default Food diary

Glad is now better for you and hope PMS won't do too much problems. How was the almond experiment? Having a cafe on Greek isles sounds so cool. Doesn't all the heat from being in the hot place and cooking worsen your condition? I found that I cannot use the owen because opening the hot own makes it real bad. I ate yesterday: 2 green apples, chicken with carrot, broccoli, courgettes and olive oil. My skin today is bad - red hot burning patches on cheeks and two new pastules (grrrr)
    I don't think for me is more environment than diet concerned. Don't get me wrong I think that previously my diet was a bit lacking in protein as I ate what
    I thought was a healthy diet but maybe it was half vegetarian diet. However, by cutting the diary and carbohydrates and sugar I am loosing a lot of weight and people are asking if I am ill because of that. I was never skinny but always having perfect BMI.
    It is shame because I can control my diet but not the environment.

I was mentally prepared for a really bad day today (and I saw the dermatologist at 9am) but today was my first "1" out of 4 yet... and I do not give that score lightly lol. I can't believe how pale my face is today! Yes you can tell I have rosacea but for ME, it's basically as good as I could hope for, and I am thrilled. Of course it can get worse at any time, but just yesterday I was on here talking about how I think I might have a fair amount of permanent redness, and here I am with proof that my redness is not in fact permanent!!! At least if it is, it's only a very small amount. I don't think my face has looked like this since 2014.

I am a bit all over the place with my cycle so I don't know for sure that I'm in PMS at the moment but I think so because I've been starving for the past 2 days, which usually means I have PMS.

Almonds so far have been causing no problems! I think almonds and peanut butter are officially okay for me.

I try very hard to guard my face when I open the oven, that's the main thing. My doctor did tell me as much as possible to stay out of the heat, and the kitchen is where it's hardest to avoid, but we keep the AC on at work and at home, and I have been avoiding going outside (which sucks -- having to be out of the sun and heat means staying indoors in Greek summer).

I figured out how to pull things out of the oven super fast but I hope I don't end up having an accident doing that lol. Also if there's anyone else around who can do it instead that's an easy way around it.

I'm sorry your skin is acting up, I wonder if it's the apples?? Apples are pretty high in sugar and they are so massive these days, two of them might be enough to set it off? Or it could be completely unrelated to food. So far I have no real evidence that ANY food causes me a problem. I'm mostly suspicious of tomatoes / eggplant (aubergine) / peppers, but I don't know for sure.

Food yesterday that preceded by best-ever day is:
    coffee, 1.5% milk, stevia powder, almonds, salmon, green grapes, whitebait fish, peanut butter

and 1 tsp cacao powder (unsweetened).

I don't think the cacao is considered a trigger but I hadn't eaten that before. It was only 1 tsp. I put it in my coffee. Especially around PMS/period having chocolate is a good idea because the body is low on serotonin but regular chocolate has dairy and sugar so I am avoiding those. It didn't create a problem.

I woke up STARVING this morning, I can't remember being that hungry ever in my life lol!!! I had almonds and then an hour later I had a serving of salmon, I was still starving, so I thought maybe I am low on salt?? So I had some chicken broth, the kind you make from a bouillon cube and boiling water, and that helped (I used the entire cube); I think with all this struggle to find anything to eat, I'm not getting enough sodium, especially since I tend to have high blood pressure so I avoid it intentionally too. I was still pretty hungry so I also had peanut butter and 2 "Laughing Cow Light" wedges which are dairy. It's very processed. I haven't been having a problem from putting 20-30g of lowfat milk in my coffee so trying a small portion of cheese and we shall see....

My dermatologist was very happy with my skin this morning. She wants me to sloooooowly start using metronidazole gel again, but not every night and mixed in with moisturizer to make it less irritating to my skin, gradually using it more often until I'm using it every night. And then I'll see her in November and she wants to do 2-3 laser treatments on my face too. She honestly seems to believe that we can fix this... I love how hard she is trying to avoid keeping me on antibiotics. I have to admit my skin looks better today than it has in 3-4 years -- and that's less than a month after the photo in this thread where I look like I have a chemical burn. (The up-and-down nature of rosacea is so exhausting though.)

(Sorry this is so long!)

In my opinion, many food reactions can be attributed to not being able to digest the food properly rather than the food itself.

As Iíve mentioned on other threads, taking Betaine HCL + digestive enzymes as helped my meal flushing. Betaine HCL helps break down proteins and if you ever took stomach acid reducing drugs like I did for years, then you likely arenít making enough stomach acid to break down your food.

I also avoid grains, gluten, sugar, and dairy as these are inflammatory foods that our bodies are not equipped to break down in the first place. Plus dairy messes with hormones, and the HCL + enzymes never helped with those inflammatory foods anyway. Now I eat protein with low FodMap veggies and sprouted flax/chia and my digestion is the best itís ever been.