Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread: Food Experiment Open Diary

More chatter on makeup... skip if you don't care about makeup...

I recently tried the Dermacol Acnecover makeup (in the turquoise tube) in shade "1" (the lightest, obv). It is, of course, too dark and too yellow. All foundation products are always too yellow because I have a pink undertone, like all rosaceans I suppose. However, of the four different foundations I'm currently trying out (Dermacol Makeup Cover, La Roche Posay Toleriane Teint Mousse foundation, and Toleriane Teint Compact Cream Color Corrector are the other three), it comes closest to my skin color and is also the most fluid, and seems to work the best of the 4.

Incidentally Dermacol Acnecover has tea tree oil in it. I am still a little bit psychologically traumatized by my TTO die-off so I am scared to wear this one right now. I put it on and took it off right away, I just wanted to see what it looked like.

I think my best hope for finding a foundation that matches my skin tone might be to look for a range that markets to a different demographic... Dermacol is Czech and LRP is French, I think I am just the wrong color for these countries. But what country has pink people? I was thinking Japanese or Korean makeup might have paler shades but would they have a strong pink undertone? I don't know. I've never tried. I can get Shiseido here but it's out of my price range. I can get Missha BB cream but I've seen reviews of it that it has a very gray undertone, I don't know what that would look like.

I am traveling to the USA soon (January) and will be able to buy makeup there if I can identify anything that I like, but I just don't know where to start. I will try reading some makeup threads on this forum and see what others have found works for them. I am just really afraid to step outside the comforting dermatological lines of French pharmacy brands. I really do NOT trust American cosmetic companies for example.

I found this video very useful. I don't think that I'm susceptible to most of it myself, but I think it's good in general. I also think her suggestions about what to include in a rosacea journal are excellent.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k6kb2xhWHN4

Default Photo Update

In today's photo I haven't done anything to my skin yet for the day, but I did drink coffee and hot lemon water.

Photo 1: Left to right: August 10, November 16, December 10:

aug 10 nov 16 dec 10 new.jpg

Photo 2: Today, December 10, three sides:

dec 10 front and sides.jpg

Photo 3: A comparison of my slowwwww progress over the past 3 months. Left: October 10. Center: November 16. Right: December 10.

oct 10 nov 16 dec 10.jpg

I would not expect anyone to be able to tell the difference, but I can see it. My pink color is gradually reducing and in today's photo, I have an overall slightly more yellow cast which means my pink undertone is relatively less than it used to be. There are a couple stray pink marks today. Texture continues to be very good. No blemishes, no dryness, no complaints.

One thing I think that doesn't show up in the photos is I do have some minor teleangiectasia on and around my nose.

For reference:
    August 10: in midst of demodex die-off
    October 10: had been on Metrogel for 3.5 weeks
    November 16: had been on Metrogel for 7 weeks
    December 10: had been on Metrogel for 11.5 weeks.

(I always make sure my neck and shoulders are visible in these photos so you can see what my real skin color is SUPPOSED to be lol. Note how incredibly white my natural skin color is....)

Awesome, how wonderful of you to share such details and pics of your treatment journey.

laser_cat, I'm very happy to share! I just hope it's helpful to someone!

I've been doing well this week, still trying to figure out the makeup situation...

I had to invent a new "grade" for my face: A few days ago, I rated myself a "0" !! There was much rejoicing. Back to a "1" now and feeling good about it.

Food has been very constant, nothing new. However a few things I picked up to try that I haven't had yet: venison salami; red raspberries (raw). I've still been eating all the same things I'm always eating that you've seen me write about a million times before. I think next week I may add romanescu cauliflower, I saw that in the store and it looked very tempting.

As for skin care, I have ordered a few new things... I am not ashamed to admit that I am completely addicted to these French thermal mists, I ordered the La Roche Posay one to try so now I will have 4 of them (Avene, Uriage, Vichy, and La Roche), in addition to Serozinc which I've been using for a week now and I LOVE IT.

I also ordered a Uriage lip balm (Bariederm Cica something) because the Octenisept spray on my face every night is harsh on my lips, I'm hoping that will help them.

So on the topic of makeup...

I tested a bunch of French pharmacy foundations, CC creams, etc., and the only color match I found was Vichy Liftactiv flexiteint (something close that, at least) -- I got a sample of it and put it on at home, took it off after about an hour, and it had irritated my skin. I was not happy about that at all... The pharmacist did tell me that Vichy is not quite at the level of Avene and La Roche Posay for catering to sensitive skin though, so I guess it's not too shocking. Vichy Liftactiv is an anti-aging foundation which means it has extra things in it, probably something in the ingredients was too much for my skin. But it was very disappointing because in addition to actually color matching me (which no other foundation has done yet) it looked AMAZING on my face. I had even put it in my online pharmacy cart, that's how sure I was that I was going to buy it. And then it irritated my skin

So I think at this point I've tried all the options for foundation for sensitive skin; they're either too dark, too yellow, too irritating, they pill, or they crease. So I'm done. I'm not going to try any more. I'm just going to use loose powder and stop wasting my time trying to find the "right" formula and a company that caters to people with my skin color (transparent pale pink lol).

I went ahead and ordered two different loose powders from Grace My Face as well as their green concealer powder, and when I get those I will just find a way to make them work and let it go. I ordered their large size (which is huge) so hopefully I will get a lot of use out of that. I did however have them sent to my family in the USA so I won't actually get my hands on them for a month, I just wanted to avoid the hassle of customs and international shipping etc. But when I eventually get them I'll let you know how I get on. I'm going to assume they'll be fine. I would have liked to find an actual foundation but oh well.

I (probably foolishly) ordered a Korres mineral blush/bronzer palette but it was half price and I figured that it was worth a try... the blush I have now, I've had since 2006 and the bronzer since 2004... that can't be healthy... (No, I haven't been using them! But I think it's time to throw those out and have something a little more contemporary and FINGERS CROSSED it won't irritate my skin.) I've had mixed results with Korres makeup in the past but it is supposedly of a high quality, we'll see.