Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Types of laser

Default Types of laser

Hi All,

Can you please help me? I have permanent patches of red and some pustules occasionally. I don't blush that often but when I do is bad and painful and doesn't go down easily and my face feels swollen. I eat antibiotics with various success but it still out of control. I've done some research and wonder if the laser can help me. Can you please advise what type of laser is the best (what are they, what's the difference and would they work for me):
    -IPL
    -LED
    -VBEAM

Also do you know any good clinic in London and the good laser practitioner?

Thank you for any advice - I am very confused and very sad and willing to try anything.

Default Can you reply please?

Hi All,

Can you please reply with any insight, information you might have? I would really appreciate any info as the flushing got really bad and I haven't slept for two nights in the row (feeling like burning alive). I would do anything to stop it but I don't want it to get it worse.

Thank you for any help,

Shadow_y

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow_y View Post
    Hi All,

Can you please help me? I have permanent patches of red and some pustules occasionally. I don't blush that often but when I do is bad and painful and doesn't go down easily and my face feels swollen. I eat antibiotics with various success but it still out of control. I've done some research and wonder if the laser can help me. Can you please advise what type of laser is the best (what are they, what's the difference and would they work for me):
    -IPL
    -LED
    -VBEAM

Also do you know any good clinic in London and the good laser practitioner?

Thank you for any advice - I am very confused and very sad and willing to try anything.

Hi there. I think I can provide a little insight, seeing as I've done IPL and regularly use an LED lamp to treat my rosacea.

I too have subtype 1 (flushing and redness) with the occasional pustles and blemishes. I will start by saying that pustles will not go away with IPL and LED. Unfortunately, with subtype 2 your best bet is probably going to be a topical like Soolantra or ZZ cream. You can find tons about both of those here on the forum. I use ZZ cream religiously; I have to, or those pustles will start to come back. And pustles cause more redness and irritation. So if you have them, I'd recommend addressing them first.

Onto IPL. The first thing you'll need to keep in mind is that if you decide to go the IPL route, you are going to need many treatments, so prepare to do a minimum of 5 or 6 sessions going in, each spaced about a month apart. And be sure to find a doctor with experience in treating rosacea. I personally saw considerable improvement in both my flushing and redness after a total of 7 IPL treatments. I'd like to do more, but these treatments are expensive, and I am not made of money. 😦 Some find, however, that IPL is not powerful enough to combat their condition, and this is where V Beam (or pulsed dye laser) comes in.

If you have a choice between IPL and PDL, I'd honestly say that you should go straight for PDL. You will likely need less treatments, though downtime may be considerably longer, as often patients find they bruise with PDL treatments. (Bruising is a good thing, by the way. It indicates that the laser has done its job in successfully eliminating the surface vessels in that area.)

And finally, I will forever sing the praises of LED for rosacea. Consistent use of my LED lamp for over a year has been a huge help to minimizing my flare ups. I rarely get them anymore, in fact. You have to be consistent with it, though, or else you will be far less likely to see results. I use the Dual Care lamp by SmarterLights. I paid 250.00 USD for it. One of the best purchases I ever made.

Hopefully this has been of some help! Good luck!

I like Cutera Lasers, they can treat a variety of issues, and work really well on Rosacea flare ups. The excel V surpasses other laser systems in treating the redness of rosacea. It also reduces the number of treatments sessions needed, in most cases. The treatment is slightly uncomfortable but not really painful. There is minimal downtime and you can go about your regular activities as soon as you feel comfortable being out in public. However, reducing sun exposure and triggers is key to keeping flare-ups from occurring, of course.
    Last edited by RebeccaBrowne; 28th August 2018 at 09:57 PM.

Default Types of laser

Hi All,

Many thanks. I appreciate your insights -

I understand - PDL is better than IPL but several number of treatments are necessary and the consistent use of LED lights is a good complimentary therapy. Is it difficult to do them myself - I am quite clumsy and don't want to accidently blind myself or something similar. I will ask what type of laser machine they use and will insist on Cutera Lasers if they have them in UK and also ask for Excel V treatment. It's going to be my test in finding good clinic.

I use +50 SPF sun cream even if it's raining and acquired Dracula personality (one ray of sunshine makes me running for the nearest shadow) and I think it helps but not as much as I would like to. Ironically, it is worse in night when it is absolutely no light anywhere (so random).

Thanks again,

S.

For those using LED, how long do you use it for each day, and on what settings?

I use mine for about 5 minutes each of red and green lights, on a moderate setting, but I'm wondering if I could do it for say, 30 minutes daily? Is there any risk to doing this?
    I'm recovering from Mirvaso-induced skin damage. Ask me about it if you are too.

T-Shirt: "Laser skin treatment. That's what it is if you're wondering. Yes, it hurt."

Quote Originally Posted by darren1 View Post
    For those using LED, how long do you use it for each day, and on what settings?

I use mine for about 5 minutes each of red and green lights, on a moderate setting, but I'm wondering if I could do it for say, 30 minutes daily? Is there any risk to doing this?
    As long as you are not super sensitive to light, I see no risk in doing this, though I'd increase the time gradually over a period of weeks just to be sure.

My LED has both yellow and red lights. I only do about 3-4 minutes on each side of my face, once a day. I too have been wondering if it might be beneficial to up the time duration.

My dermatologist is planning to do 3 laser treatments on me (sorry I don't know which type she is planning to use) spaced 1 month apart in Nov, Dec, Jan, specifically. She says it needs to be in the winter months. I don't know why this is, I live in a very sunny Mediterranean climate so maybe that plays a role, but just throwing that out there that perhaps winter is a better time to do it?

Quote Originally Posted by dryad View Post
    My dermatologist is planning to do 3 laser treatments on me (sorry I don't know which type she is planning to use) spaced 1 month apart in Nov, Dec, Jan, specifically. She says it needs to be in the winter months. I don't know why this is, I live in a very sunny Mediterranean climate so maybe that plays a role, but just throwing that out there that perhaps winter is a better time to do it?
    I'm curious to know why it needs to be in winter. I have to say, my first treatment was in winter and my face was flushed beforehand due to the cold.

Needless to see, the treatment was remarkably effective and I wonder if the cold weather making face blush 15 minutes before the laser hit the skin helped at all.
    I'm recovering from Mirvaso-induced skin damage. Ask me about it if you are too.

T-Shirt: "Laser skin treatment. That's what it is if you're wondering. Yes, it hurt."

They want to do it in the winter because laser treatments make your skin more sensitive to sunlight. They probably figure it will be best to do it in the time of year where there is less chance of complications due to sun exposure. Honestly, though, as long as you wear sunscreen and don't spend a lot of time in the sun while you're recovering, you should be okay. I had 2 of my IPLs done during summer months and was fine.