Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Yoghurts

Default Yoghurts

Hi All,

I am a bit confused (I was diagnosed about 3 months ago and try to make the sense of new reality still) about yoghurts? Some websites recommending them and some say that they are bad for rosacea. I don't really wish to experiment with myself as the attacks of rosacea are quite painful for me so I take them out of menu but when I was reading that we should eat them. What is your opinion please - are yoghurts trigger or not?

I figured I'd cut out all dairy to be safe but had some plain Greek yogurt yesterday (about 2 tablespoons) and while my skin is worse today, I don't think it counts as a trigger in that amount. I say that because it's only a tiny bit worse, and I ate it at lunchtime, and had no increase in redness until about 24 hours later.

It's going to take a lot of experimenting to figure out what I can and can't eat. I'm at the very beginning of trying to figure this out. My diet is currently so restricted that I'm worried about deficiencies and malnutrition, so trying to figure out what else I can eat that's both available where I live and not a trigger for me! But it seems like at least the very plain (NO SUGAR) Greek yogurt might be okay in small quantities.

You really just have to experiment I think. Triggers differ person to person. Eggs don't seem to bother me but bother others, for example.

Default Yoghurts

Thanks for the reply - really appreciate it.I try to look for soya replacements and take
    take probiotic tablets (it's getting expensive) as alternative. Speaking about sugar what about fruit? I know oranges are no no but what about apples, bannans, berries? They contain sugar but also vitamins which might be beneficial.... The whole thing is very confusing
    Thanks for your opinion/thoughts
    S.

Plain yogurt with absolutely no sugar is a good probiotic, and probiotics are now an accepted medical treatment for rosacea. Sugar and carbohydrate are just as valid as any proposed rosacea trigger. While many say fruit, which contains high levels of fructose, one of the many sugars found in carbohydrate, are perfectly good for rosacea sufferers to eat, some have reported that fruit high in fructose or sucrose, such as bananas and berries trigger a rosacea flareup. You will simply have to experiment since rosacea diet triggers are a personal thing. What triggers your rosacea may be quite different from what triggers another rosacean. All the rosacea triggers proposed are simply anecdotal reports obtained from surveys. There has never been any double blind, placebo controlled, peer reviewed clinical studies done on rosacea diet triggers, or any proposed rosacea trigger ever. Wouldn't it be a novel to get together say 10,000 rosacea sufferers into a non profit organization and each donate one dollar and then pay for such a study to be done on this subject? Has anyone tried to do this?
    Brady Barrows
    Join the RRDi

Brady, maybe some of us forum users could do an approximation of it. I already don't eat almost ANYTHING.

I decided to take the yogurt back out of my diet as it doesn't add much. I definitely sympathize with the expense of the probiotics. My dermatologist put me on daily probiotics + prebiotics for the duration of a short antibiotic course. Today is my last day taking them and thank goodness, they are too expensive. About 10x the cost of the antibiotic. And probably not surviving the antibiotic much even though I space them out as much as possible.

My first real experiment is going to be with nuts I think. Almonds and peanut butter are the only nuts I eat but being able to eat them will go a long way toward helping me move out of a malnourished state. Many days I do not get even 600 calories and nuts will make a big difference with that if I can eat them -- but I don't know yet if I can. I figured it would be smartest to wait until I was in a hormonal lull (i.e., the time between ovulation and PMS as I am primarily triggered by hormones) which should be about now.

My plan is to try a tablespoon of peanut butter/day to start and just see what happens. I had my first one yesterday and my skin was paler today than it has been so far, so the PB is so far looking okay. (And anyway, peanut butter isn't a nut, technically, it's a legume, so maybe that's why, though the type I eat does have added sugar, it's just your standard conventional commercial PB, nothing organic or natural about it - but that's what's available where I live.)

So my current diet consists entirely of:
    - bottled table water
    - chicken eggs
    - a variety of small/medium fish (sardines, anchovies, whitebait, herring, mackerel, salmon)
    - olive oil, vegetable oil, sunflower oil
    - sweet potatoes
    - salt
    - doxycycline
    - probiotics / prebiotics

Probably not many people eat more restricted than I do so it should be pretty obvious if I have a flare-up, what food is triggering it.

If anyone else wants to be a guinea pig for "science" maybe we could start a thread.

And of one the most peculiar oddities is that the NRS lists Yogurt as a rosacea trigger.
    yogurtNRS.jpg
    As I mentioned previously in this thread, most people eat the sugar yogurt so there is no differentiating between plain yogurt and all those yogurts that have added sugar, and I mean lots of added sugar, not to mention fruit. When patients reported that eating yogurt triggers rosacea, they don't differentiate whether or not the yogurt contains lots of sugar, which is the actual culprit for the rosacea trigger, not the yogurt. If you look at the NRS Trigger List that 'MAY Trigger a Rosacea Flare-up' it mentions Liver as the number one on the list and further down it lists Sour Cream, Cheese, Eggplant, and Spinach. I have written an article about all this.
    Brady Barrows
    Join the RRDi

Quote Originally Posted by dryad View Post
    Brady, maybe some of us forum users could do an approximation of it. I already don't eat almost ANYTHING.

I decided to take the yogurt back out of my diet as it doesn't add much. I definitely sympathize with the expense of the probiotics. My dermatologist put me on daily probiotics + prebiotics for the duration of a short antibiotic course. Today is my last day taking them and thank goodness, they are too expensive. About 10x the cost of the antibiotic. And probably not surviving the antibiotic much even though I space them out as much as possible.

My first real experiment is going to be with nuts I think. Almonds and peanut butter are the only nuts I eat but being able to eat them will go a long way toward helping me move out of a malnourished state. Many days I do not get even 600 calories and nuts will make a big difference with that if I can eat them -- but I don't know yet if I can. I figured it would be smartest to wait until I was in a hormonal lull (i.e., the time between ovulation and PMS as I am primarily triggered by hormones) which should be about now.

My plan is to try a tablespoon of peanut butter/day to start and just see what happens. I had my first one yesterday and my skin was paler today than it has been so far, so the PB is so far looking okay. (And anyway, peanut butter isn't a nut, technically, it's a legume, so maybe that's why, though the type I eat does have added sugar, it's just your standard conventional commercial PB, nothing organic or natural about it - but that's what's available where I live.)

So my current diet consists entirely of:
    - bottled table water
    - chicken eggs
    - a variety of small/medium fish (sardines, anchovies, whitebait, herring, mackerel, salmon)
    - olive oil, vegetable oil, sunflower oil
    - sweet potatoes
    - salt
    - doxycycline
    - probiotics / prebiotics

Probably not many people eat more restricted than I do so it should be pretty obvious if I have a flare-up, what food is triggering it.

If anyone else wants to be a guinea pig for "science" maybe we could start a thread.
    Might want to consider reading post no 2, my response to Chai, regarding substituting Lutein/Zeazanthin, both "naturally occurring carotenoids," to your regimen. The sweet potatoes have it naturally, of course, but also a huge amount of fructose. I can eat a sweet potato once in a while but not every day since they are loaded with sugar. So consider Lutein/Zeazanthin supplements.

As to "doing an approximation of it" I have tried for over 14 years to bring together rosaceans into a patient advocacy non profit organization with total volunteers and have about given up with volunteering. Hardly anyone wants to volunteer anymore. Twenty years ago there was a huge impetus of volunteers getting together to do something about the status of rosacea research and treatment, but today, alas, most rosaceans want a pill or a topical to fix their skin and once they have figured out something that controls it they move on and could care less about volunteering to help other rosacea sufferers. It is also difficult to get rosaceans to fill out a survey, much less to volunteer to help other rosacea sufferers. So if you have an idea to 'do an approximation of it' I am all ears. What's your plan?
    Brady Barrows
    Join the RRDi

No plan, just figured that if enough people over time to do a full-on elimination diet with reporting what works and what doesn't, it could build up some info eventually. I am not in a position to take part in any kind of study -- I live on a Greek island after all!! But I know exactly what I eat, what quantities, and I grade my face daily in a diary.

For example yesterday I had peanut butter and today my face is whiter than it's been in a month. So that's two days with peanut butter in a row so far, no bad reaction. Also, yesterday I did NOT have a sweet potato, for the first time in about 10 days straight -- so given the improvement, it may be that sweet potatoes are no good for me.

For me to do this systematically I would have to go into almost complete starvation. I have figured out I can't function too well on less than about 450 calories/day. And to do that I have to make SOME assumptions about "safe foods" unless I were to start out with a complete water fast, which I think is probably not safe. I have been assuming that fish, oils, and eggs are safe, but I have read that eggs are not okay for all.

For me to actually do this properly, I'd have to go down to solely water, fish and oils for probably about a week and then choose ONE additional food to add and eat that for ... a week? Or a month? I wonder if a month would be necessary due to hormonal fluctuations? It would be better for a post-menopausal woman or a man to do this because my hormonal fluctuations are dramatic due to being a woman of childbearing age after all.

But there's no point to me doing it (beyond helping myself) because it's just an anecdote. So if others did it (would not have to do it contemporaneously with me, just at some point in time, as the info could add up) it could amass some kind of bunch of ancedotes if not data. It may have already been done, I just haven't seen it yet.

The reason I'm even thinking of this at all is that it seems every rosacea dietary thread talks about a huge list of foods that can be triggers, always anecdotally, and if you add them all together, there are practically no foods left, at least to someone like myself who lives in a place that does not have an enormous range of foods. I live in a place that has simple, basic foods. I can get the stuff that Americans could get 15 years ago but not the new stuff that has become available in the past 15 years.

I'm probably not the best guinea pig because I'm primarily hormonally triggered rather than food triggered. But the one thing I am is capable of eating nearly nothing, and of tracking every morsel of food I eat obsessively.

I was wrong about the peanut butter I have btw, it does not have any added sugar. Ingredients are just peanuts and sunflower oil.

Having worked in activism in the past I have no misapprehensions about how hard it is to organize people. Thus my idea of people who are inclined to dump info in a place (i.e., a thread) but it seems a little obvious so maybe it's already been done! I'm obviously a very very new member here!

Quote Originally Posted by Brady Barrows View Post
    And of one the most peculiar oddities is that the NRS lists Yogurt as a rosacea trigger.
    yogurtNRS.jpg
    As I mentioned previously in this thread, most people eat the sugar yogurt so there is no differentiating between plain yogurt and all those yogurts that have added sugar, and I mean lots of added sugar, not to mention fruit. When patients reported that eating yogurt triggers rosacea, they don't differentiate whether or not the yogurt contains lots of sugar, which is the actual culprit for the rosacea trigger, not the yogurt. If you look at the NRS Trigger List that 'MAY Trigger a Rosacea Flare-up' it mentions Liver as the number one on the list and further down it lists Sour Cream, Cheese, Eggplant, and Spinach. I have written an article about all this.
    That list strikes me as quite odd since it excludes many of the foods that I have seen considered explicitly safe, like avocadoes and chocolate (at least the very dark kind), but says that bread is okay, when it seems many have identified gluten as a trigger. No mention of sugar at all.

I am inclined to think they are talking about any sort of yogurt since they also include cheese and sour cream. Seems it is a dairy trigger specifically. As far as I know there is no added sugar in either sour cream or cheese.

Also -- it is not necessarily "the right choice" to avoid all rosacea triggers. I think we can probably all agree that if exercise is a trigger for you, you have to weigh the cost of living a life without physical activity -- which brings with it horrid health outcomes including loss of mobility and death -- with triggering a flare-up. I am triggered by exercise but rosacea can't kill me, whereas some kind of exercise phobia can.

Default Rosacea diet

Hi All,

I am happy to let you know what I've been eating day by day and my reaction to it if it would be any help. I know for the certain that the peanuts are the trigger for me. I can eat other nuts in the smaller amounts but it is quite unpredictable if I flush or not so I avoid them completely.

The biggest trigger for me is travel more than hormones (I am also woman of child-bearing age). I know it sounds stupid but two hours flight or the longer journey on the underground can get me into the flushing red hot mess which lasts for week. It is also getting worse in the night and it keeps me awake during the night. The flushing is quite painful for me as it feels that I am physically burning so I try to avoid an triggers as much as I am able to do.

Being without fruit would be quite difficult for me - I am quite good with avoiding junk food but not fruit so I will start experiment with that if you wouldn't mind so I can find which fruit I can tolerate (if any) and which one will send me to the red mess.

Hope that sounds like a plan.

Thank you for the support,

S.