Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Tranexamic Acid Solution

Quote Originally Posted by antwantsclear View Post
    I agree. The original study is an in-clinic treatment using dressings of the acid. I am not aware yet of any reports from patients who have had a significant benefit from other methods of using the acid, whether taking the medication orally or using over the counter topical formulations. There is a lot of discussion, but few positive reports, if any yet, that other methods have worked.
    I meant the authenticity and quality of the powder bought from ebay sellers is a concern. I'm going to contact the one I purchased from in the US to see if I can get more info about their operations.

Maybe I'm naive, but the method in the original study on treating rosacea with topical tranexamic acid seems fairly easy to reproduce outside of a clinic:

Wet gauzes dampened with TA solution
    (three ampoules, total 15 mL [500 mg/5 mL] Tranexamic
    Acid; Shin Poong Pharmaceutical, Seoul, Korea) were applied
    for 20 min on the face, once or twice a week
    So what I'm doing is mixing 500 mg of TA in 5 mL of water (using a scale from American Weigh and a blunt-tipped plastic syringe), then letting a small gauze pad absorb it and applying it to one side of my face. My idea is that if one side of my face starts to look drastically less red, it's probably working and not a placebo.

Edited: This spa in North Carolina is using tranexamic acid combined with microneedling (a method used in another study mentioned in this thread, probably to overcome problems with poor penetration of the tranexamic acid), so perhaps some other facilities are doing this too.
    Last edited by jrlhamcat2; 30th December 2018 at 10:10 PM.

Quote [So what I'm doing is mixing 500 mg of TA in 5 mL of water (using a scale from American Weigh and a blunt-tipped plastic syringe), then letting a small gauze pad absorb it and applying it to one side of my face. My idea is that if one side of my face starts to look drastically less red, it's probably working and not a placebo.]

I await to hear your experiences with interest :-)

Something to bear in mind with making your own tranexamic acid solutions is that they should be prepared as and when required. This is to minimise microbial contamination which may occur under normal conditions.

The tranexamic acid solutions used in the quoted studies were primarily for injection purposes and would be sterile (free from contamination).

This suggestion applies to solutions made from crushed tablets as well.

Quote Originally Posted by antwantsclear View Post
    Quote [So what I'm doing is mixing 500 mg of TA in 5 mL of water (using a scale from American Weigh and a blunt-tipped plastic syringe), then letting a small gauze pad absorb it and applying it to one side of my face. My idea is that if one side of my face starts to look drastically less red, it's probably working and not a placebo.]

I await to hear your experiences with interest :-)
    Thanks. So far I'm not very confident either way, so I'll probably post again in a few weeks. I don't want to say anything that seems preliminary in case it misleads people.

Quote Originally Posted by jrlhamcat2 View Post
    Thanks. So far I'm not very confident either way, so I'll probably post again in a few weeks. I don't want to say anything that seems preliminary in case it misleads people.
    This is one of the most interesting threads I've read on this forum in a while. Anyone have any updates?

Quote Originally Posted by kfranke View Post
    This is one of the most interesting threads I've read on this forum in a while. Anyone have any updates?
    I am keeping updates in this post.
    Brady Barrows
    Join the RRDi

Quote Originally Posted by kfranke View Post
    I've soaked one side of my face about 6 times over around 10 days now. My skin has been getting less red and the flushing has been less frequent and less intense, but on both sides of my face, not just the one I've been treating. Actually my face looks better than it has in several years. I'm not sure if that's because of the tranexamic acid circulating throughout my face when I apply it to one side, or if the improvement is related to something else that started recently (taking 3g of MSM, wearing sunscreen more often, less accidental sun exposure due to the change in season, washing my face more gently, acclimating to the winter indoor heat that came on recently, etc). I've also started using a couple hyaluronic acid and niacinamide products on parts of my face that aren't affected by rosacea.

I'm going to soak my nose and one cheek nightly for 20 minutes for a week now and see if the split face test is still inconclusive.

One thing I've noticed is that the soaked side of my face is very calm and cool after the soaking. I tested with gauze soaked in cold water and no tranexamic acid and got the same effect, so it looks like soaking your face in cold wet gauze is a good way to break a flush, possibly because the heat dissipates through the pores in the gauze well.

A couple things to keep in mind if you try this:

1) In at least one of the studies of topical tranexamic acid for rosacea, the subjects were tested for risk factors for deep vein thrombosis. Therefore you might want to check with a doctor before trying this to minimize any risks. I have no medical training and am not recommending anyone try anything, nor am I saying this is safe.

2) An open-minded dermatologist might be willing to prescribe tranexamic acid ampoules so that you don't have to worry about obtaining tranexamic acid and making a solution yourself.
    Last edited by jrlhamcat2; 3rd January 2019 at 06:32 PM.

Also here is a list of the studies I'm aware of on using topical tranexamic acid on rosacea patients, just to get all of these in one place:

Topical tranexamic acid improves the permeability barrier in rosacea

The new therapeutic choice of tranexamic acid solution in
    treatment of erythematotelangiectatic rosacea

Tranexamic acid solution soaking is an excellent approach
    for rosacea patients: A preliminary observation in six patients

These are all small studies and the latter two are uncontrolled against placebo.

There is also a case study that mentions oral tranexamic acid:

Combination treatment of propranolol, minocycline, and
    tranexamic acid for effective control of rosacea

And a mouse study of using tranexamic acid to treat induced rosacea-like lesions:

Tranexamic acid ameliorates rosacea symptoms through regulating immune
    response and angiogenesis
    Last edited by jrlhamcat2; 3rd January 2019 at 06:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jrlhamcat2 View Post
    Also here is a list of the studies I'm aware of on using topical tranexamic acid on rosacea patients, just to get all of these in one place:

Topical tranexamic acid improves the permeability barrier in rosacea

The new therapeutic choice of tranexamic acid solution in
    treatment of erythematotelangiectatic rosacea

Tranexamic acid solution soaking is an excellent approach
    for rosacea patients: A preliminary observation in six patients

These are all small studies and the latter two are uncontrolled against placebo.

There is also a case study that mentions oral tranexamic acid:

Combination treatment of propranolol, minocycline, and
    tranexamic acid for effective control of rosacea

And a mouse study of using tranexamic acid to treat induced rosacea-like lesions:

Tranexamic acid ameliorates rosacea symptoms through regulating immune
    response and angiogenesis
    Thanks for all your research.
    Brady Barrows
    Join the RRDi