Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What foods are triggering you the most?

Default What foods are triggering you the most?

My rosacea had a horrible flare-up a couple weeks ago, and I never figured out why. Then it just randomly disappeared overnight a few days ago. It is starting to come back this morning.. which I think might be from breakfast (bacon and eggs.. I'm low carb) or maybe my coffee this morning, but not totally sure.

I guess I need to start a food diary.

Curious what foods have triggered other people's flare-ups.

I was thinking low carb/super low sugar would be safe, and I have gone mostly dairy-free too. But all these different restrictions are getting rough WHILE trying to diet.

Quite right, sugar and carbohydrate are my rosacea triggers.

What I have discovered is that usually it is the eating accumulative over a period days that does it. For example, if I have been eating high protein/fat, low sugar carbohydrate for weeks and then have an ice cream, I usually can tolerate it if I just have that one ice cream. However, if I eat some chips one day, fruit and chips the next day, then have a couple of beers, then in a day or so I have rosacea written all over my face. You are what you eat.

Did your coffee contain sugar? I doubt very seriously if the bacon and eggs would cause a flareup.

There really has never been done a double blind, placebo controlled clinical study on rosacea diet triggers. Wouldn't it be novel if a non profit organization for rosacea could get enough members to come together and finance their own double blind, placebo controlled rosacea diet trigger clinical study?
    Last edited by Brady Barrows; 12th August 2018 at 12:55 AM.
    Brady Barrows
    Join the RRDi

Itís also gluten, nuts, tomatoes, dairy.

I started my food diary on June 1 but I've had a really hard time identifying triggers. But I switched to a diet very high in vegetables, in particular I ate a lot of tomatoes, eggplant, and peppers, which are all considered rosacea triggers I believe. That may be behind why this summer has been Rosacea Hell for me.

I'm also trying to lose weight so I completely understand how hard it is to work out a meal plan with both of these issues at the same time!

Here's what I have for my three huge flare-ups:

Flare-up 1: 6/29 - 7/3 (5 days long)
    Day of: low-fat white cheese, broccoli, lemon, chicken breast, peanut butter, apple
    Day before: chicken, yogurt, veggies (incl. tomatoes), onion, nectarine, pear
    2 days before: red peppers, feta, yogurt, salad (primarily tomatoes), cheddar, peas

Flare-up 2: 7/21 (1-2 days long)
    Day of: almonds, salad (incl. tomatoes and feta), yogurt, raisins
    Day before: lentils, rice, oats, raisins, almonds, peanut butter
    2 days before: eggs, feta, onion, croutons, hard candy (for hypoglycemia), raisins, pasta, broccoli, peas, mushrooms, low-fat white cheese, oats, raisins, almonds

Flare-up 3: 8/3 - present (8+ days long)
    Day of: almonds, smoked fish, figs, lettuce, feta
    Day before:almonds, salmon, arugula, feta, dried cranberries, walnuts, grapes, peanut butter
    2 days before: almonds, decaf hot coffee, low fat milk, green beans, carrot, potato.

That's how I always eat, though. The only weird eating day in there is the two days before my 2nd flare up, when I was having some problems with my blood sugar so I ate a lot of carbs that I normally don't (lentils, rice, oats, croutons, hard candy, pasta) -- nevertheless it wasn't in large amounts because my total calories for that day were only 1400. So I wasn't stuffing myself with a huge quantity of these foods.

I don't know what to conclude from this wrt diet. #1 and #3 coincided with PMS and #2 coincided with ovulation, which I think is a much more powerful trigger than food because again, I really do eat the same damn thing all the time (with the noted exception).

The foods MariaSt mentions are ones that I eat on a pretty constant basis so I am working on reducing those. I've incorporated sweet potatoes into my diet and taken out the tomatoes/eggplant/peppers. I've cut the dairy and nuts out also. However I'm still eating sugar in the form of fruit (no more than once a day now) and whatever is naturally occurring in things like sweet potatoes.

I'm running out of things to eat, to be honest. Yesterday all day I ate: eggs, smoked herring (fish), 100 calories worth of green grapes, and a sweet potato. I'm not sure what I can eat anymore that won't be a problem either for my rosacea or for my blood sugar (I am pre-diabetic).

(Sorry this is so long, but I figured, since I did do the food diary, why not...)

Some people are also sensitive to eggs, so notice how your skin behaves after eating those.
    You can eat gluten free pasta, there is a brand that you can find in any supermarket.

Thanks for the replies! I will keep working on my food diary and see if I notice any similarities.

Cutting out dairy is super hard on Keto, so I am kind of experimenting with different forms (cream, cheese, butter, etc) and the quantity. Like my protein powder and meal replacement have a VERY small amount of whey protein isolate, which is technically dairy, but I am curious to see if I react to just that and absolutely no other dairy in my diet.

I didn't realize the nuts thing - I do have almond butter almost daily.

Plus it's summer with a lot of heat and humidity and sweating, so that is obviously not helping.

I forgot to mention alcohol as a possible trigger.

I have complete given up on a diet to help. I have tried to cut out everything and I have seen no results. Maybe help the waste line but thatís about it.
    Cheese / tomatoes/ crackers seem to be the worst for me with flushes or heavy redness. But everything stays the same. I hate not being able to eat what everyone else is eating when it doesnít work for me so I will look elsewhere into what can help. They other night I stopped my diet...eat a whole pizza and 8 beers and 2 days later my face was whiter than it has been in 1 month???? So confusing.
    Maybe some types of foods are not being broken down and absorbed by your body or stomach acid might affect the skin. However if I take any type of digestive enzyme or Apple cider vinegar I will see the worst redness in my face ever! Nothing makes my face worse than digestive aids..I do believe rosacea is stomach related but who knows if it has to do with types of food.

Quote Originally Posted by RaymondS View Post
    I have complete given up on a diet to help. I have tried to cut out everything and I have seen no results. Maybe help the waste line but that’s about it.
    Cheese / tomatoes/ crackers seem to be the worst for me with flushes or heavy redness. But everything stays the same. I hate not being able to eat what everyone else is eating when it doesn’t work for me so I will look elsewhere into what can help. They other night I stopped my diet...eat a whole pizza and 8 beers and 2 days later my face was whiter than it has been in 1 month???? So confusing.
    Maybe some types of foods are not being broken down and absorbed by your body or stomach acid might affect the skin. However if I take any type of digestive enzyme or Apple cider vinegar I will see the worst redness in my face ever! Nothing makes my face worse than digestive aids..I do believe rosacea is stomach related but who knows if it has to do with types of food.
    I understand where you're coming from. I do think my diet actually caused my massive flare-ups this summer (as a fluke - causing a die-off - because of extreme diet change). So if I believe THAT, it means I have to accept that diet does make a difference. But, I think my flare-ups happen 99% based on my hormones, food just might make a flare-up worse/better than it would have been. But won't actually cause/prevent one - I have been getting hormonal flare-ups for years. I'm going to get a flare-up at PMS and ovulation, and not the rest of the time, so maybe if I'm just careful what I eat around those times, it would help. Speaking as someone trying to lose weight, having to cut out things like tomatoes and other healthy vegetables, nuts, lowfat dairy -- it's completely destroyed my ability to receive nutrition. I have to go and try to explain this to my endocrinologist HOW?

I'm doing it anyway... all I've been eating for over a week is: eggs for breakfast, fish for lunch, a sweet potato for dinner. (I cut out the grapes ultimately.) That's 100% of my diet. Drink only water. I take probiotics, prebiotics, and vitamin D, all prescribed by doctors.

My bloodwork came back today - there's evidence of inflammation in my blood, so now I have to go to a rheumatologist to figure out why. Starvation can't really be helping, I suppose.

Diet is 100% in my control, so I think it gives me a good feeling to think that I can "control" my rosacea via diet, but if I end up with an ED and multiple deficiencies, that's not helping anything really.

My skin is doing really well compared to a week ago -- but can I credit my diet when I know deep down that this is hormonal in my case?

Sorry this is just babbling... but if I can't eat anything, then the whole "social isolation" problem that rosacea was causing me isn't going to improve much. I'm eating fish but I can't have it with lemon juice on it because that's fruit? Ugh.

I would really be curious to know what successful rosacea-dieters actually *do* eat instead of what they cut out. Because besides fish I'm not sure I've seen anything? Olives are fruit, so are they out? I don't even know.

Diluted ACV dabbed on one spot on my face gave me the worst acne cyst I've had in a decade and it's still there 2 weeks later. Never again. that stuff is horrid.

Yes that diet that you are on sounds horrible! However if it helps you then 100% stick to it. Because even the torture of a strict diet would be ok if it worked. Anything that makes rosacea better is worth doing. Have bad flares and red skin is just horrible. So Iím glad it helps you.
    Excercize seems to help me. No just walking but running and sweating helps a lot.
    Food and diet doesnít nothing but I just tried nacin and I got huge itch flush! It was crazy. Never felt anything like it but itís been hours and Iím still paler than usual.
    They say that the flush sometimes can be beneficial. I will continue with 1000mg a day and see how it goes.
    The flush is very intense tho.