Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: My second full face vBeam/Laser/PDL following Mirvaso skin damage

Default How I've been getting on 10 months after my second PDL

Note to doubters: In the video above I am wearing a physical sunscreen that contains TITANIUM DIOXIDE. Do not tell me "you look fine". Look at my hair line and you can see the edges of the sunscreen where I did not totally cover the skin. I use the sunscreen as a bit of a disguise and it is SPF 50.

Over 2 years later, and after several pulsed dye laser sessions (PDL, vBeam) and one intense pulsed light session (IPL) I've seen a little improvement in my baseline skin colour.

I really need more PDL, as certain areas were missed in previous treatment, leaving pockets of redness where the blood seems to have been pushed to the sides of the treated areas. I need to have the bits that were missed zapped.

In November 2018, I had my first IPL. This was all over the face and I saw a slight improvement. It's less aggressive than PDL and operates on multiple wavelengths, which means multiple treatments are always going to be needed. I've yet to have another IPL but look forward to doing so as I did see an improvement and it gives me hope that more of the same will give me what I want: a paler, less red baseline.

Azelaic acid is well known to dermatologists treating acne, but it can serve a dual role in that it treats background redness. The bleaching effect of AA is something I want to explore, starting with a lose dose (say 10%) mixed with moisteriser and applied to my face three times a day, starting with my acne prone and bumpy forehead.

I dare to dream that this topical treatment may well improve my baseline and possibly save me having to undergo quite so many light-based skin treatments. Having had my fingers burnt before (and my face) I am being cautiously optimistic.

I saw a GP this afternoon with the intention of asking for Azelaic acid at 15%. She gave me a 20% prescription but alas - Bayer PLC who manufacture "Skinoren" are experiencing production problems, which means the stuff is hard to get right now.

And so, I'm looking at an over the counter brand called The Ordinary who sell Azelaic Acid at 10%. Hopefully, I'll start using that and by the time Skinoren (or even Finacea) can be gotten at my local pharmacy, I'll be able to tolerate these higher concentrations.
    Last edited by darren1; 20th May 2019 at 08:41 AM.
    I'm recovering from Mirvaso-induced skin damage. Ask me about it if you are too.

• Read about my PDL and IPL, with videos.

Hi Darren,

Your skin looks flawless. I know you said you have sunscreen on and are still looking for improvement, though from this video, I would never be able to tell you had rosacea.
    Congrats!

FWIW, I have type 1 and AZ acid did nothing for my redness aside from dry out my skin.

I agree, your skin does look great. I think this is as good as it gets and don't see why you'd want to keep doing more laser sessions?

I'm also curious about azelaic acid. Most people w/ type 1 say it doesn't do much but I've come across a few success reports so I'm thinking about trying it.

To those who say my skin looks great: you haven't seen me in a warm room. I have marks and patches on my skin where the laser missed. The light I'm in plays a part too.

You would have to meet me and literally look at my face in natural full daylight. I assure you it is not flawless. My baseline used to be perfect. Now it is blotchy and pink but only faintly. The faint pink can turn scarlet with certain triggers.

Also, ever since using Mirvaso, my ears turn VERY red and hot in certain situations. It's actually painful. That's something that bothers me a bit and it seems to happen at night or in hot rooms.
    Last edited by darren1; 19th May 2019 at 05:59 PM.
    I'm recovering from Mirvaso-induced skin damage. Ask me about it if you are too.

Quote Originally Posted by sg321 View Post
    Hi Darren,

Your skin looks flawless. I know you said you have sunscreen on and are still looking for improvement, though from this video, I would never be able to tell you had rosacea.
    Congrats!

FWIW, I have type 1 and AZ acid did nothing for my redness aside from dry out my skin.
    I actually don't have rosacea. I am recovering from burned skin after using Mirvaso twice in 2017. I had rebounds most days for a few weeks after using it and then developed baseline redness, which I've been chipping away at with PDL and IPL.

I intend to do a video after I've done a one hour workout, as my face gets hot and the bits of skin that still need to be treated stand out quite a bit. At one time my face was red on my cheeks and nose (which is where I applied the Mirvaso gel) and so I've been gradually improving my skin tone.

When I used to look in the mirror before May 2017, my ski nwas perfect at basline. Ghostly white. Now, it's pink and blotchy gets worse when I'm out an about. When I'm at home, relaxed, with sunscreen on and if I've avoided trigger foods, my skin look so good.

Remember - Mirvaso was a vaso constrictor. But also a dilator when worn off. Sadly, these effects continue to haunt my blood vessels albeit to a much lesser degree. Generally I've improved loads and really just want to finish it off.

Laser can be regressive too. On one temple I see that redness is coming back gradually. You won't be able to see it on the camera as it's still faint.. but it's there.

Quote Originally Posted by darren1 View Post
    I actually don't have rosacea. I am recovering from burned skin after using Mirvaso twice in 2017. I had rebounds most days for a few weeks after using it and then developed baseline redness, which I've been chipping away at with PDL and IPL.

I intend to do a video after I've done a one hour workout, as my face gets hot and the bits of skin that still need to be treated stand out quite a bit. At one time my face was red on my cheeks and nose (which is where I applied the Mirvaso gel) and so I've been gradually improving my skin tone.

When I used to look in the mirror before May 2017, my ski nwas perfect at basline. Ghostly white. Now, it's pink and blotchy gets worse when I'm out an about. When I'm at home, relaxed, with sunscreen on and if I've avoided trigger foods, my skin look so good.

Remember - Mirvaso was a vaso constrictor. But also a dilator when worn off. Sadly, these effects continue to haunt my blood vessels albeit to a much lesser degree. Generally I've improved loads and really just want to finish it off.

Laser can be regressive too. On one temple I see that redness is coming back gradually. You won't be able to see it on the camera as it's still faint.. but it's there.

Why did you use Mirvaso if you didn't have rosacea?

With all due respect, your skin looks pretty good and seeking absolute perfection is nonsense. Everyone has skin blemishes and some redness. Even people who don't have rosacea will get flushed after they work out. Even celebrities who appear to have perfect skin actually don't..

I'm surprised you experienced this after only using Mirvaso twice? Are you absolutely sure you didn't have any symptoms or redness before? I, too, stupidly used a similar product called Rhofade, but I used it everyday for over 6 weeks! Meanwhile I was getting gnarly rebound flush and it was making things worse but my dermatologist kept telling me to use it and was conflating the rebound redness from the soolantra I was using at the time. Before I used it, I did have a flushing problem (social, warm rooms, exercise) and some persistent redness. I would say it made my persistent redness slightly worse, but it's hard to tell. I had some persistent redness on my ride side cheek, which I believe carried over to my left side cheek after rhofade. I'm not completely 100% sure though, it could also just be lighting / how closely in the mirror I'm looking nowadays.

Quote Originally Posted by beherenow View Post
    Why did you use Mirvaso if you didn't have rosacea?

With all due respect, your skin looks pretty good and seeking absolute perfection is nonsense. Everyone has skin blemishes and some redness. Even people who don't have rosacea will get flushed after they work out. Even celebrities who appear to have perfect skin actually don't..

I'm surprised you experienced this after only using Mirvaso twice? Are you absolutely sure you didn't have any symptoms or redness before? I, too, stupidly used a similar product called Rhofade, but I used it everyday for over 6 weeks! Meanwhile I was getting gnarly rebound flush and it was making things worse but my dermatologist kept telling me to use it and was conflating the rebound redness from the soolantra I was using at the time. Before I used it, I did have a flushing problem (social, warm rooms, exercise) and some persistent redness. I would say it made my persistent redness slightly worse, but it's hard to tell. I had some persistent redness on my ride side cheek, which I believe carried over to my left side cheek after rhofade. I'm not completely 100% sure though, it could also just be lighting / how closely in the mirror I'm looking nowadays.
    Why did I use it? It was prescribed to me! I trusted the derm and she turned out to be wrong! Jeez! I've written god knows how many letters of complaint! I'm still angry and upset about the entire fiasco and is why I dislike and distrust doctors.

My face was always flushed looking because Iwas reacting to food. In her office my face was red but that was because I was in a state of mild flush. Also, her office was hot and it had been cold out. My explanations were not heeded when I described my symptons.

Also, a previous derm told me "don't try and do our job, we know what we're doing."

Edit: I've recently cut out bread - gluten - and my skin is much calmer. I'm going to do another video without sunscreen on, because the product I use contains titanium dioxide and has a whitening effect. Watch the video I posted before and you can see around my hairline where the sunscreen is.
    Last edited by darren1; 20th May 2019 at 08:38 AM.

Here are some reviews of Mirvaso. The side effects are pretty much what I experienced. The persistent redness calmed right down after several PDL sessions.

https://www.drugs.com/comments/brimo...l/mirvaso.html

I'm really happy with how the laser helped. When my face gets flushed now - from walking or on a windy day for example - lots of little white circles can be seen on my skin where the laser hit. That's testament to how powerful it is in pushing back the blood vessels.

The amount of rebound redness I had from the Mirvaso would surely have activated angiogenesis of the superficial blood vessels in the outer layers of skin.

I showed my face to an IPL practioner at consultation and he said the patches of red would calm down after IPL on quite low settings. I'm glad to say, it did, but only a little! Also, he studied under the later Dr Peter Crouch, who practised both PDL and IPL, and posted on this forum while he was alive.
    Last edited by darren1; 29th May 2019 at 05:04 PM. Reason: spelling, added missing words

Quote Originally Posted by darren1 View Post
    Here are some reviews of Mirvaso. The side effects are pretty much what I experienced. The persistent redness calmed right down after several PDL sessions.

https://www.drugs.com/comments/brimo...l/mirvaso.html

I'm really happy with how the laser helped. When my face gets flushed now - from walking or on a windy day for exampl - lots of little white circles can be seen on my skin where the laser hit. That's testament to how powerful it is in pushing back the blood vessels.

The amount of rebound redness I had from the Mirvaso would surely have activated angiogenesis of the superficial blood vessels in the outer layers of skin.

I showed my face to an IPL practioner at consultation and he said the patches of red would calm down after IPL on quite settings. I'm glad to say, it did, but only a little! Also, he studied under the later Dr Peter Crouch, who practised both PDL and IPL, and posted on this forum while he was alive.
    FYI Darren, I use an over the counter Azelaic Acid cream. I use ZZ cream more regularly, but when I go out I don't like to have a sulfur smell around my face. 😝 So I mix AA with my moisturizer, and it seems to do a decent job keeping pustles away. I can't speak as to whether or not it helps with redness. Melazepam is what I use. I get it on Amazon. It's 20% AA, I believe.

Thanks for your sharing! I just done my Vbeam with no brusing 10 days ago, I can feel my flushing did improve by a little but sadly i feel my baseline redness is slightly serious than before Vbeam. I got no idea it is because I still recovering from first Vbeam or I just bcome more sensitive or anything. However , my derm ask me to go back in two weeks time for second sessions, I feel confused in this situation now

According to your experience, u usually bcome paler or pinker after Vbeam ?