Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: My second full face vBeam/Laser/PDL following Mirvaso skin damage

Default My second full face vBeam/Laser/PDL following Mirvaso skin damage

Hi everyone.

You might have seen some of my posts elsewhere on the forum where I have expressed frustration with the apparent willy-nilly prescription of Mirvaso gel, given to rosacea patients by dermatologists who habitually fail to fully inform the sufferer exactly what they're getting into.

I used Mirvaso twice in later May and early April of 2017 and immediately regretted it. My skin was never the same after using this stuff and this was only after two applications.

My face developed a permanent baseline redness in a strange symaterical pattern consisting of dilated and constricted areas of skin. I'd always been a flusher but my skin was always good at baseline.

Mirvaso ruined my skin and was the beginning of an ongoing dispute between myself and the the derm department at the hospital that prescribed it.

Months later, in 2017, I had a laser consultation. I had a few test patches and treatment on the nose to see how it went. It went well, and the skin healed as I hoped.

In April and July of this year (2018) I've had the rest of the treatment for the areas where Mirvaso was applied.

On my first treatment, I didn't get enough treatment and the result was patchy with visible circles of normal skin amongst the redder skin. Still, I could see the treatment was working, and this is not something you want to go too heavy-handed with lest you invite scarring and fat loss.

My second treatment was done 3 days ago. I explained everything as clearly as I could to the laser doctor. I gave examples of how some areas still flush where treated areas do not, and that my skin is much worse than it looks since when I am relaxed during the warmer summer months, it's not as apparent where the problems are.

I also exfoliated 2 minutes before going into the laser theater. Yep, I purposely aggravated my skin knowing it would blush more and dramatise the way my skin flushes in hot and cold weather, when I'm exercising, or eating food that causes inflammation.

Here's my video:

Quote Originally Posted by darren1 View Post
    Hi everyone.

You might have seen some of my posts elsewhere on the forum where I have expressed frustration with the apparent willy-nilly prescription of Mirvaso gel, given to rosacea patients by dermatologists who habitually fail to fully inform the sufferer exactly what they're getting into.

I used Mirvaso twice in later May and early April of 2017 and immediately regretted it. My skin was never the same after using this stuff and this was only after two applications.

My face developed a permanent baseline redness in a strange symaterical pattern consisting of dilated and constricted areas of skin. I'd always been a flusher but my skin was always good at baseline.

Mirvaso ruined my skin and was the beginning of an ongoing dispute between myself and the the derm department at the hospital that prescribed it.

Months later, in 2017, I had a laser consultation. I had a few test patches and treatment on the nose to see how it went. It went well, and the skin healed as I hoped.

In April and July of this year (2018) I've had the rest of the treatment for the areas where Mirvaso was applied.

On my first treatment, I didn't get enough treatment and the result was patchy with visible circles of normal skin amongst the redder skin. Still, I could see the treatment was working, and this is not something you want to go too heavy-handed with lest you invite scarring and fat loss.

My second treatment was done 3 days ago. I explained everything as clearly as I could to the laser doctor. I gave examples of how some areas still flush where treated areas do not, and that my skin is much worse than it looks since when I am relaxed during the warmer summer months, it's not as apparent where the problems are.

I also exfoliated 2 minutes before going into the laser theater. Yep, I purposely aggravated my skin knowing it would blush more and dramatise the way my skin flushes in hot and cold weather, when I'm exercising, or eating food that causes inflammation.

Here's my video:

Hi Darren if you wouldnt mind possible to tell me who your Dr even via private message looking to find someone good in the UK for v beam.

I'm healing well. I see a big improvement to the baseline colour of my skin, although I did have a flush yesterday which was short-lasting.

I feel I will still need another treatment at some point as too many gaps exist between the purpuric spot treatments.

I'm about to visit the supermarket, which is a short walk in the sun. I have rubbed SPF 50 sun screen on my face and will walk in the shade where possible.

I'm recovering from Mirvaso-induced skin damage. Ask me about it if you are too.

• Read about my PDL and IPL, with videos.

Darren, Thank you so very much for sharing your story. Iím so happy that VBeam is working for you. Do you happen to know your a Vbeam settings?

Curious as to what your food intolerances were? Are you taking anything to heal the gut (betaine hcl, enzymes, glutamine, etc)?

Best wishes for continued success!

Quote Originally Posted by sg321 View Post
    Darren, Thank you so very much for sharing your story. Iím so happy that VBeam is working for you. Do you happen to know your a Vbeam settings?

Curious as to what your food intolerances were? Are you taking anything to heal the gut (betaine hcl, enzymes, glutamine, etc)?

Best wishes for continued success!
    My food intolerances are histamine foods like tomatoes and spinach.

I also avoid carbs like white flour pasta, white potatoes and white rice (these always made me have an insulin spike and sunsequent crash, followed by extreme tiredness and flushing.

In terms of gut health, I'm doing quite a bit to help things on that front.

Daily, I take Apple Cider Vinegar with water and 1000mg effervescent Vitamin C + 15mg Zinc.

I also take Calcium & Magnesium, and Vitamin B complex.

I cut out dairy and take Almond milk daily as part of my early morning banana smoothie. I add turmeric to this, but have not done recently as it stains my orthodontic braces.

I have been making bone broth from organic beef bones and using this as stocks and to cook my brown rice in.

For a while I took pro-biotic supplements. Once a week I eat at least one large tub of Greek yoghurt (okay, I have not cut out dairy totally, but this is the most tolerant form of it for most people).

I avoid caffiene, sugar, salt. I avoid alcohol (I used to love drinking, but I'm willing to make the sacrifice) and gave up smoking cannabis in 2016 and gave up nicotine in 2012.

It is constance vigilance.
    I'm recovering from Mirvaso-induced skin damage. Ask me about it if you are too.

Default Congratulations!

Holy ****, I can't believe this is the first time I've seen this thread...DARREN, YOU LOOK AWESOME! I am sooooo happy for you! Congratulations on your success with PDL! As a fellow Mirvaso victim, you have no idea how happy this makes me to see that you are having such excellent results! You must have a doctor who really knows what he/she is doing with the laser.

Seriously, seeing this has made my entire day. I wish you continued success!

Has the treatment continued to heal up well for you? I think it's been about 3 weeks so far since you said the treatment was done?
    Last edited by antwantsclear; 9th August 2018 at 08:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by kfranke View Post
    Holy ****, I can't believe this is the first time I've seen this thread...DARREN, YOU LOOK AWESOME! I am sooooo happy for you! Congratulations on your success with PDL! As a fellow Mirvaso victim, you have no idea how happy this makes me to see that you are having such excellent results! You must have a doctor who really knows what he/she is doing with the laser.

Seriously, seeing this has made my entire day. I wish you continued success!
    To be honest, I'm not too pleased with the doctor I have, since he is also head of dermatology of the clinic I go to. He refused to accept that Mirvaso was a bad idea since one of his NHS colleagues prescribed it. Doctors tend to close ranks and protect their position/defend their ideas when a patient comes after them (as I did).

That said, I thought I'd rather had a qualified doctor (as opposed to a nurse at one of the cheaper clinics) doing the laser.

I'm healing from the laser I had in July 2018 but I still have hyperpigmentation (yellow and brown spots) which are gradually fading.

Although I look better, I'd like to give it at least another month before I say for certain whether it has helped. For example, I still have some remaining "pockets" of redness where the laser missed. These look like little flecks and look slightly odd next to my normal skin tone. Of course, this is a luxury problem since the redness APPEARS to have mostly gone from the areas of my face where I had used Mirvaso.

I have another video here showing photos of the Mirvaso rebounds from 2017:

Update posted on Thursday 25th October 2018.

The bruising has healed, but I've faint hyperpigmentation where the laser hit which is still fading.

I also have pockets of redness where the laser actually missed. That's the problem with gaps being left between the 10mm laser spot treatment.

I've used my iPhone's selfie camera to record this 640 x 480 video.

The light is misleading in places as it illuminates my face in such a way that you cannot see the redness I am talking about.

About halfway through the video I move into my bathroom to show my face in a different light.

Also, in this video, my skin is quite benign and calm. In hot rooms or sressful situations, the bits of skin that were missed by the laser get VERY red, which makes it look like someone has drunkenly doodled on my face with a pink felt pen.

Needless to say, the laser HAS been effective, but with hindsight I would be telling the laser clinician "please do not leave any gaps whatsoever".

On Saturday October 27th I'm having a full face strong IPL to deal with the remaining redness.

Hi Darren,

Thanks for the updates. It's fantastic to see your progress.

I wanted to say, I've had PDL before, and have those red 'cheese grater' effects on my neck, which are strange looking. My doctor told me this could happen, and that basically you need multipl PDL treatments to get these missing bits, that it's not possible to get all the areas on one go as you said you thought should have been done.

I'm not 100% sure why this is, but I'd imagine you don't want to hit the same area of skin, to overlap, with the laser as it would be too much energy for the sking to absorb in one go. So the idea is that you have multiple sessions to get the bits the previous sessions miss.

Hope that makes sense and is helpful.

Anyone else had this experience or has heard the same thing?

Cheers!