Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Who in here gets a rudolph red nose after eating?

Default Who in here gets a rudolph red nose after eating?

Im wondering how many in here are suffering from this, and who would one go to see about it?

Quote Originally Posted by rednessator View Post
    Im wondering how many in here are suffering from this, and who would one go to see about it?
    I'm curious rednessator if yours responds to aspirin / ibuprofen?

Hello laser_cat! Thank you for the question!

I have never tried it for my nose, no, and tbh the idea kind of scares me. Although I’m at a breaking point, underweight and anti-social, I desire some sustainable way to live again. Could I take ibuprofen for the rest of my life? How much can one take before its bad for you etc?

If anybody could help me I would be eternally grateful

Hello laser_cat! Thank you for the question!

I have never tried it for my nose, no, and tbh the idea kind of scares me. Although I’m at a breaking point, underweight and anti-social, I desire some sustainable way to live again. Could I take ibuprofen for the rest of my life? How much can one take before its bad for you etc?

If anybody could help me I would be eternally grateful
    Ya I get how taking ibuprofen / aspirin all the time might not be the best idea. However it might at least give you a data point (?)

My nose flushing (which I think was triggered by / exacerbated by clonidine and beta blockers) can be completely blocked with 600-800 mg ibuprofen. My observation is that aspirin / NSAID's help in a lot of cases from various forums. Violets on here I think is helped by NSAID's as well (?) and seems to have some success with an autoimmune approach (?) (maybe she can chime in here if she sees this!)

Aspirin can prevent platelets from clumping up esp. in the tiny blood vessels in the extremities (eg nose) and SSRI's can have a similar effect. There was an old member on here (Barbara) who said her nose flushing was solved with paxil, which makes me think that sometimes nose flushing can be related to this mechanism. Another old member Deansm got relief from topical amitriptyline / ketamine -- maybe it was the serotonin reuptake inhibition by the amitriptyline?

If you're helped, there might be other options that would be more sustainable (like SSRI's, topical amitriptyline, daily baby aspirin, topical NSAID's, prescription NSAID's that are supposedly less risky, ... ) or it may provide at least a clue for a derm? I'm grateful that my nose flushing has lessened once I tapered off clonidine / beta blockers, but it's still not zero, and am currently thinking about daily baby aspirin. With clonidine my nose flushed after I ate anything as well but I think it was more of the internal temp bump that came with digesting

In any case I really do feel for you! Nose flushing can be so frustrating :/

ps - another thought - is it the same if you drink your calories (vs chewing)? That helped me a little bit, but I get how that's not a "normal" thing to do lol.

pps - Mistica on here got a lot of progress with nose flushing after treating iodine deficiency (maybe if she sees this she can chime in too )

Hang in there x
    Last edited by laser_cat; 29th June 2018 at 11:32 PM.

Thank you so much for all this. You haven given me a lot of potential roads I can go down. Really appreciate it! I’m gonna try to take ibuprofen today and see what happens.
    Much love!

Quote Originally Posted by laser_cat View Post
    Ya I get how taking ibuprofen / aspirin all the time might not be the best idea. However it might at least give you a data point (?)

My nose flushing (which I think was triggered by / exacerbated by clonidine and beta blockers) can be completely blocked with 600-800 mg ibuprofen. My observation is that aspirin / NSAID's help in a lot of cases from various forums. Violets on here I think is helped by NSAID's as well (?) and seems to have some success with an autoimmune approach (?) (maybe she can chime in here if she sees this!)

Aspirin can prevent platelets from clumping up esp. in the tiny blood vessels in the extremities (eg nose) and SSRI's can have a similar effect. There was an old member on here (Barbara) who said her nose flushing was solved with paxil, which makes me think that sometimes nose flushing can be related to this mechanism. Another old member Deansm got relief from topical amitriptyline / ketamine -- maybe it was the serotonin reuptake inhibition by the amitriptyline?

If you're helped, there might be other options that would be more sustainable (like SSRI's, topical amitriptyline, daily baby aspirin, topical NSAID's, prescription NSAID's that are supposedly less risky, ... ) or it may provide at least a clue for a derm? I'm grateful that my nose flushing has lessened once I tapered off clonidine / beta blockers, but it's still not zero, and am currently thinking about daily baby aspirin. With clonidine my nose flushed after I ate anything as well but I think it was more of the internal temp bump that came with digesting

In any case I really do feel for you! Nose flushing can be so frustrating :/

ps - another thought - is it the same if you drink your calories (vs chewing)? That helped me a little bit, but I get how that's not a "normal" thing to do lol.

pps - Mistica on here got a lot of progress with nose flushing after treating iodine deficiency (maybe if she sees this she can chime in too )

Hang in there x
    Hi there!

Maybe you have read som of my posts – my nose was absolutely crazy last year, but I have been getting better and better.
    And yes, my nose flushing has been reduced by several things

The things that I have done to reduce it are:

- Autoimmune approach, I have changed my diet first to AIP (for about 9 months) and now AIP and sometimes a more normal paleo.
    Since this diet is limited in comparison, it has helped me to get to know what foods I can and what I cannot eat anymore. The list
    of things I don't eat is loooong and my worst triggers, of the foods that I am allowed to eat on paleo (but have limited): eggs, sweet things, meat.
    I am one year and two months into AIP/paleo and I must say its not hard anymore. I actually love eating like this and I feel so much better
    in general – it is soo worth it.

- Treating my skin with metronidazole.

- Drinking a lot more water then I used to do.

- Taking a 200 or 400 mg ibuprofen every now and then (twice per week max) if I know I will be triggered. This has helped me a lot to feel
    that I can have control over the condition. Its not good to do it on daily basis, but for me it is a great help just mentally knowing that I have
    some sort of control. I agree with Lizzy, I think it has to do with its blood thinning properties + its also anti-inflammatory.

I am so much better now then I was a year ago. I don't flush and swell anymore, I would more call it increased baseline redness – my skin
    gets more rosy in the evening or if I eat trigger foods or stress. It has taken a lot of time to get to this point. For many months I had no
    signs of improvements skin wise. But now I know that I am on a good path so that feels good.

Hope this can help you!

Best!
    V
    Last edited by Violetsareblue; 30th June 2018 at 04:38 PM.

Brady Barrows
    Blog Join the RRDi

Quote Originally Posted by Violetsareblue View Post
    Hi there!

Maybe you have read som of my posts – my nose was absolutely crazy last year, but I have been getting better and better.
    And yes, my nose flushing has been reduced by several things

The things that I have done to reduce it are:

- Autoimmune approach, I have changed my diet first to AIP (for about 9 months) and now AIP and sometimes a more normal paleo.
    Since this diet is limited in comparison, it has helped me to get to know what foods I can and what I cannot eat anymore. The list
    of things I don't eat is loooong and my worst triggers, of the foods that I am allowed to eat on paleo (but have limited): eggs, sweet things, meat.
    I am one year and two months into AIP/paleo and I must say its not hard anymore. I actually love eating like this and I feel so much better
    in general – it is soo worth it.

- Treating my skin with metronidazole.

- Drinking a lot more water then I used to do.

- Taking a 200 or 400 mg ibuprofen every now and then (twice per week max) if I know I will be triggered. This has helped me a lot to feel
    that I can have control over the condition. Its not good to do it on daily basis, but for me it is a great help just mentally knowing that I have
    some sort of control. I agree with Lizzy, I think it has to do with its blood thinning properties + its also anti-inflammatory.

I am so much better now then I was a year ago. I don't flush and swell anymore, I would more call it increased baseline redness – my skin
    gets more rosy in the evening or if I eat trigger foods or stress. It has taken a lot of time to get to this point. For many months I had no
    signs of improvements skin wise. But now I know that I am on a good path so that feels good.

Hope this can help you!

Best!
    V
    Thank you very much for helping, it means a lot!

I’m glad you have found good relief! It makes me happy, and gives me hope!

-AIP: I did this for about 6 months and got no relief. I ate a lot of meat. A couple of months ago my nose redness was not just coming when eating. That catapulted me into a 5 day water fast (not good for my weight either), and on day 3 the redness passed. Right now I’m a 100% plant based, and I have been for approximately two months. Now the redness is only connected to food, and when I wake up dehydrated in the morning, which leads me to water:

- I follow you, and drink a lot of water too. This helps a lot in the morning. I drink 1.5 liters of water (currently mixed with MSM powder, don’t know if it helps, but...)

-I’ve tried metronidazole before, but I felt it made my redness more volatile. Does this help you with the food flushing, flushing in general or just base redness?

-ibuprofen: I had a depressing weekend, so I did not try this. I’m gonna see if I can buy some Ibux today (think that is what its called here).

Quote Originally Posted by Brady Barrows View Post
    Thanks Brady!
    I’ve tried so many things on that list. Felt like a walk through memory line!
    Right now I’ve been trying MSM powder for 2 months. I’ve done RLT for three weeks now. But I’m not sure if I’m totally lost or lot: feels like I’m fumbling in the dark here. Food gives me red nose. All food. No food, I’m fine...

Thank you very much for helping, it means a lot!

I’m glad you have found good relief! It makes me happy, and gives me hope!

-AIP: I did this for about 6 months and got no relief. I ate a lot of meat. A couple of months ago my nose redness was not just coming when eating. That catapulted me into a 5 day water fast (not good for my weight either), and on day 3 the redness passed. Right now I’m a 100% plant based, and I have been for approximately two months. Now the redness is only connected to food, and when I wake up dehydrated in the morning, which leads me to water:

I understand. Meat is one of the worst things for me to eat when it comes to flushing. It took some time to figure it out and adjust my paleo to that. Today my tolerance to meat is much better then a year ago, but I still avoid it. I try focus on lighter foods; fats, veggies, fruit and fish. I think that meat is really hard on the body for digestion and I am sure the body even needs more water to digest meat then other foods so I think it adds to dehydration

- I follow you, and drink a lot of water too. This helps a lot in the morning. I drink 1.5 liters of water (currently mixed with MSM powder, don’t know if it helps, but...)

This sounds good. I think for some of us rosacea has to do with "weak barriers", the skin is thinned, maybe our gut lining is thinned, so we get extra sensitive to dehydration of different kinds. Water through out the day helps us to not get to the point where we are dehydrated. I find myself most I need of water in the afternoon, when my skin also gets more sensitive and I am tired from the day.

-I’ve tried metronidazole before, but I felt it made my redness more volatile. Does this help you with the food flushing, flushing in general or just base redness?
    [I]Over time (about a year now, with periods off every three-four months) the skin barrier of my face has been strengthened from the use of metronidazole/finacea.
    It does not help reduce flushing quick, its more over time that my skin has become less and less "inflamed" and has healed and gotten thicker. So yes it does help
    me with both flushing and redness because it gives the skin a chance to heal.

-ibuprofen: I had a depressing weekend, so I did not try this. I’m gonna see if I can buy some Ibux today (think that is what its called here).

I am curious to see if it helps you. I am pretty sure it will!

Good luck!
    /V
    Last edited by Violetsareblue; 2nd July 2018 at 09:10 AM.