Thread: Smell sensitivity

Default Smell sensitivity

Hi all,

I know this is not a Rosacea symptom but does anyone have smell sensitivity also?

I canít stand perfumed smells to the point where Iím nauseous and my skin gets more sore and itchy around the smells also.

Natural smells are ok but perfumed smells stick to my skin and I smell them for days, even if itís just from a passerby.

Again, I know this is a bit off topic but when my skin is worse my sensitivity to smells is also worse.

Yes, this happened to me about 4-5 months after I first got diagnosed. I became totally intolerant to all chemical and perfume smells. Had to rid my house of everything and replace with unscented things. Perfumes are toxic and bad to wear/breathe on a daily basis.

Even strong natural smells set me off sometimes. It has gotten better in the past few months, but I have to run away fast from any strong Lysol, bleach, perfume smell. I believe it is part of an abnormal immune response that weíve developed. I also developed mild seasonal allergies which I never had before. Strong histamine degrading probiotics and LDN have helped, but not solved the problem.

My wish would be for a global ban on artificial fragrance and fluorescent lights.

Quote Originally Posted by Moggo View Post
    Hi all,

I know this is not a Rosacea symptom but does anyone have smell sensitivity also?

I canít stand perfumed smells to the point where Iím nauseous and my skin gets more sore and itchy around the smells also.

Natural smells are ok but perfumed smells stick to my skin and I smell them for days, even if itís just from a passerby.

Again, I know this is a bit off topic but when my skin is worse my sensitivity to smells is also worse.

The same thing happens to me with strong perfumes, to the point of intense nausea. Minus the itchy skin!

I have this too! I was starting to think it was due to some sort of chemical sensitivity disorder, or an allergy perhaps. I am super sensitive to smells and flush badly from some of them; from perfume, bleach, paint fumes, glue smells, solvents, cleaning products with strong smells, washing powder with any type of fragrance, and worst of all from these air fresheners or car perfumes...

I can step into a morning train with pale skin and no burning and flushing, then once someone sits next to me or in the same carriage even with freshly sprayed perfume on him/her, or aftershave or something like that, I smell it super strongly (much sooner and more intense it seems than other people in my surroundings, when I ask a relative or friend about it for instance) and gives a skin flush and burn in no time for me The other week for instance someone in the same train carriage, just one seat behind me, started painting her nails. The smell from that stuff made me flushed and burned up so badly and it stayed that way for hours! I bring a thin scarf nowadays and keep it in front of my nose when this happens, or change seat and carriage if possible, but in the morning rush hour there really is no way to avoid this perfume/shower gel smell on public transport..

Maybe it is our central nervous system that is somehow easily triggered by the chemicals that produce the smell, and somehow that triggers our nerves and blood vessels? It must link somehow to allergies and an overactive immune response? Not everyone with rosacea flushing gets this it seems, but I know a couple of people who have this same smell-flushing issue.

Default Me too

Me too. I used to love certain perfumes and perfumed candles etc... but when I got rosacea two years ago I started to go off being in the vicinity of any sort of artificial fragrance.

Interestingly, my rosacea symptoms have been clearing since I started taking LDN almost three months ago - and, at the point of writing, it continues to improve daily - to the point of being almost not there..in parallel to that improvement curve, I have also not been bothered any more by these kind of smells. I’ve even started to enjoy wearing perfume.. although I don’t like to wear too much if any in certain crowded gatherings out of respect for how I now know it could be affecting others.

So I think that does seem to suggest a correlation, for some of us, that’s more than coincidental doesn’t it?

If any of you feel your rosacea symptoms may be related to an immune system issue, I really recommend you look into trialling LDN.

All the best.
    Fiona

Air fresheners give me the worst headaches. And sometimes perfumes make me sneeze, but so far I can tolerate the natural or niche ones made with better ingredients.

I also have increased smell sensitivity since treating rosacea. I always thought that it was related to the tea tree oil and metronidazole pills I used in the past, because they are both neurotoxic. Who knows.