Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Flushing a lot when laying down at night?

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Posts
    12
    Country: United States

    Default Flushing a lot when laying down at night?

    Hi, so I recently found out I have rosacea (started when I did hot yoga several times, I think that was what set it off and ever since my skin is not the same)

    Recently, I have noticed that my face flushes when at night laying down in bed:\
    Anyone else experience something similar?

    I'll be walking arounf the house fine with minimal to no redness and as soon as I lay down within several minutes I feel this hot uncomfortable sensation on my chin area (this area seems to be my biggest one) but eventually also my cheeks

    I think it happens throughout the night, idk what to do. I wake up and my cheeks are quite rosy too, this fades down eventually, but anyone ever find a way to avoid this?

    Getting a Vbeam consultation in two weeks, did anyone find Vbeam to ease their flushing?

    Thank! This is my first post btw!

  2. #2
    Senior Member laser_cat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    594
    Country: United States

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by meg101 View Post
    Hi, so I recently found out I have rosacea (started when I did hot yoga several times, I think that was what set it off and ever since my skin is not the same)

    Recently, I have noticed that my face flushes when at night laying down in bed:\
    Anyone else experience something similar?

    I'll be walking arounf the house fine with minimal to no redness and as soon as I lay down within several minutes I feel this hot uncomfortable sensation on my chin area (this area seems to be my biggest one) but eventually also my cheeks

    I think it happens throughout the night, idk what to do. I wake up and my cheeks are quite rosy too, this fades down eventually, but anyone ever find a way to avoid this?

    Getting a Vbeam consultation in two weeks, did anyone find Vbeam to ease their flushing?

    Thank! This is my first post btw!
    Hi Meg -

    Flushing when lying down + trying to sleep used to be a huge problem for me. Taking mirtazapine at night (15, 22.5, or 30 mg I think would each be effective) resolved this completely for me and I no longer have to sleep in a recliner. The only side effect I've had is reduced satiety after meals. Lots of info on this forum about mirtazapine (and other helpful meds)

    I did not get relief from laser personally but everyone's different.

    Best wishes,

    Lizzy

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    45
    Country: Canada

    Default

    I used to get this as well, the burning would wake me up at night! I was prescribed Clonidine and it has helped reduce my flushing since.

    Good luck!

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Posts
    12
    Country: United States

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by laser_cat View Post
    Hi Meg -

    Flushing when lying down + trying to sleep used to be a huge problem for me. Taking mirtazapine at night (15, 22.5, or 30 mg I think would each be effective) resolved this completely for me and I no longer have to sleep in a recliner. The only side effect I've had is reduced satiety after meals. Lots of info on this forum about mirtazapine (and other helpful meds)

    I did not get relief from laser personally but everyone's different.

    Best wishes,

    Lizzy
    Thanks for your response Lizzy! What do you mean "reduced satiety after meals"? Which laser did you do btw? Wish it would've have helped you! I'm new to the forum, but I've seen your name pop up in several posts, hello!

  5. #5
    Senior Member laser_cat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    594
    Country: United States

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by meg101 View Post
    Thanks for your response Lizzy! What do you mean "reduced satiety after meals"? Which laser did you do btw? Wish it would've have helped you! I'm new to the forum, but I've seen your name pop up in several posts, hello!
    Hello Meg, welcome

    By reduced satiety, I mean I don't feel full from eating my usual breakfast for example. When I was at 15 mg for a while, I remember making and eating a bowl of cereal, then making and eating another bowl, and then one more time I wasn't hungry, but I wasn't getting that fullness signal telling me to stop (antihistamine qualities). Bumping up my dose to 22.5 mg helped (and I know some people do great at 30 mg) -- less antihistamine effects. But I think this is better than being actually hungrier, if that makes sense -- I just needed to find better hobbies than eating lol. Which was/is doable.

    Being aware of this potential side effect early on helped me to nip that issue in the bud (having bulimia history, that could have been something terrible!)

    I used excel v and vbeam. Yeah, wish it would have been the answer for me too! oh well. Some people do very well though. I haven't found a laser doc who could give me a meaningful/confident answer as to why some people do better than others. One derm said my problematic blood vessels might be too deep for laser ... but who knows.

    Good luck!

    Lizzy

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Posts
    12
    Country: United States

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by laser_cat View Post
    Hello Meg, welcome

    By reduced satiety, I mean I don't feel full from eating my usual breakfast for example. When I was at 15 mg for a while, I remember making and eating a bowl of cereal, then making and eating another bowl, and then one more time I wasn't hungry, but I wasn't getting that fullness signal telling me to stop (antihistamine qualities). Bumping up my dose to 22.5 mg helped (and I know some people do great at 30 mg) -- less antihistamine effects. But I think this is better than being actually hungrier, if that makes sense -- I just needed to find better hobbies than eating lol. Which was/is doable.

    Being aware of this potential side effect early on helped me to nip that issue in the bud (having bulimia history, that could have been something terrible!)

    I used excel v and vbeam. Yeah, wish it would have been the answer for me too! oh well. Some people do very well though. I haven't found a laser doc who could give me a meaningful/confident answer as to why some people do better than others. One derm said my problematic blood vessels might be too deep for laser ... but who knows.

    Good luck!

    Lizzy
    Thanks so much for the info! How long have you been on it may I ask? Do you plan to be on it long-term or?

    I think I might need something like this because honestly my anxiety levels have been through the roof for the past few weeks:\ I'm hoping I can talk to my dr. about it and have them understand.

  7. #7
    Senior Member laser_cat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    594
    Country: United States

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by meg101 View Post
    Thanks so much for the info! How long have you been on it may I ask? Do you plan to be on it long-term or?

    I think I might need something like this because honestly my anxiety levels have been through the roof for the past few weeks:\ I'm hoping I can talk to my dr. about it and have them understand.
    I've been on ~8 months so far. I'm probably not going to get off anytime soon. I've never slept better in all honestly (And maybe the benefits of regular good night's sleep in turn helps my flushing/burning/inflammation??? I'd like to think so anyway).


    I hope you find something to help you with your anxiety soon.

  8. #8
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Posts
    12
    Country: United States

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by laser_cat View Post
    I've been on ~8 months so far. I'm probably not going to get off anytime soon. I've never slept better in all honestly (And maybe the benefits of regular good night's sleep in turn helps my flushing/burning/inflammation??? I'd like to think so anyway).


    I hope you find something to help you with your anxiety soon.
    Thank you Lizzy! Do you take anything else other than mirtazapine?

  9. #9
    Senior Member nat007's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    1,906

    Default

    Hi Meg, sorry that you have night time flushing issues. What has helped me is to firstly sleep a bit elevated with my head, so with several pillows. It also helps me to not overheat at night, so no heavy warm PJ's, no thick heavy duvets, but layers of bed linen. Your face is the main skin surface that sticks out of the bed, so when your body gets very warm, the release of heat happens mostly through the face (and in our case through dilated blood vessels in the face area). I also use a fan, on the lowest speed and at a decent distance to avoid rebound flaring, but enough to have a gentle breeze. Also try to keep the bedroom cool, windows open or use of airconditioning in summer. But don't make it too cold in winter, because that can trigger a rosacea flare too. Also helpful for some people; no pets in the bed room (due to allergies or irritants circulating in the air) and washing your bed linen at least once a week, ideally with perfume free and hypo-allergenic washing detergent can also help. I change my pillow cases twice a week. Some people also saw improvement from buying special dust mite allergy covers for their pillows and bed linen. Others have relief from a chillow pillow.

    What helped me most is starting to take anti flushing medication (for me, clonidine, propranolol and mirtazapine + an antihistamine (Xyzal, 20 mg a day) - that has helped me most to reduce night time flushing. I used to wake up so flushed at night or in the morning, that my blood vessels seemed to have developed a memory for it and stay dilated for most of the day, and this cycle got worse over time. Changing my sleeping modus and taking anti flushing medication has reduced this, I now am unflushed and non burning about 90% of the time at night.

    Hope you can find more relief soon!

Similar Threads

  1. Flushing at night
    By cbebe28 in forum General rosacea questions
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 26th February 2018, 05:55 PM
  2. Flushing only at night
    By Serpentine in forum General rosacea questions
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 27th March 2017, 01:41 AM
  3. night flushing
    By guishome in forum General rosacea questions
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 3rd August 2009, 12:43 PM
  4. flushing when laying down
    By cbebe28 in forum General rosacea questions
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 22nd August 2008, 09:35 PM
  5. GREAT BOOK that lessened my burning and flushing a LOT
    By WrinkledClue in forum Topical and oral products (non-prescription)
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 18th April 2008, 08:59 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •