Page 3 of 55 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast

Thread: My Low Dose Naltrexone Journey (so far)

Quote Originally Posted by sg321 View Post
    Hi Fiugs,

So happy to hear that your LDN journey is a positive one so far! I’m still on 2mg of LDN, and don’t really have any new developments to share since my last post. It definitely helped with swelling, and maybe a bit in the facial discomfort department. I have just been so focused on my pinkness that I think I tend to get oblivious to other symptoms, if that makes sense.

I just started 37.5mg of Effexor a few weeks ago, which can help with both flushing and nerve pain. When I see my doc at the end of June, I’m going to request increasing the dose of Effexor. Not sure if I’m not getting the total benefits of pain relief because I’m only on 2mg of LDN or if it’s just me. The discomfort isn’t horrible, but it’s still always there. Maybe I’ll go higher on the LDN if the bump in Effexor doesn’t prove fruitful.

Regarding SIBO, I was pretty convinced I had this due to bloating, constipation, rosacea, etc, and got tested last year. It’s about $250. Test came back negative. Apparently diarrhea and vomiting are common SIBO symptoms. Anyway, I got some additional gut tests done that showed severe gut dysfuncton. I started taking glutamine powder, super high dose probiotics, digestive enzymes, betaine HCL and eat paleo and my digestion has improved dramatically. Sadly, I’m still pink, though it’s improved slightly over the past few months since stopping a product that was apparently disagreeing with my skin.

Best wishes for continued success!
    Thanks for your LDN update. 2mg is still a pretty low dose, I would definitely increase it gradually.. my LDN prescriber said to me the other day that LDN is very patient specific with regard to dosage. I’ve been at 4.5 mg for close to three weeks now and I am beginning to think I felt better on a slightly lower dose... hard to put my finger on the difference, which isn’t directly rosacea related.. I feel ever so slightly queasy sometimes. But it may be the warm humid weather we’ve been having here for a while, Ive always reacted badly to extremes in atmospheric pressure.

Anyway 2mg is a low dose by any standards I would say.

I don’t know why I say this, but I don’t think rosacea is gut related in my particular case. I think with me it’s unskillful sun exposure over the years and also, until earlier this year, I suffered from chronic high stress levels for about 12 years.. I think that was a huge factor in my case and my sense is that this, exacerbated by chronic sleep debt, may have messed up my immune system.

I’ve not heard of Effexor, but I hope it helps you. I don’t want to try any other meds whilst I’m still at the trial stage with LDN, or I won’t know what’s helping.

I hurt my face badly yesterday with a new sunscreen that’s supposed to be super gentle! But it’s well on the road to recovery today. I think the LDN helps recovery rates too.

Oh... but I know what you mean about the redness fixation! I’m just the same! I have to be careful not to measure my progress entirely in terms of how red I am in any given moment! The Ordinary and Niod products I’ve been using are helping generally with skin barrier-related redness - specifically The Ordinary’s 10% niacinamide serum and borage seed oil, as well as Niod’s Super Oxide Dismutase spray, Modulating Glucosides serum, which are all good for inflammation.

Take care...
    Last edited by Fiugs; 10th June 2018 at 12:06 PM.

Did you have any success with this?

I had a doc prescribe 50mg. First day after about 3 days of taking it, had one of these worst flushing episodes I've had in years

Quote Originally Posted by Snoop View Post

I had a doc prescribe 50mg. First day after about 3 days of taking it, had one of these worst flushing episodes I've had in years
    Hi Snoop,

Low dose naltrexone is anywhere from 1.5 - 4.5 mgs.
    Many who are chemically sensitive even start at 0.5 or 1.0 mgs.
    50 mgs dosing is used for opiod addiction.

So, you are using the wrong dosage if you want the anti-inflammatory and immune modulation benefits.
    I would stop the 50 mgs immediately and give your system a week or so for the naltrexone to ďwash outĒ of your body.

You can use the 50 mgs tablets to create low dose naltrexone.
    There are many videos on you tube that will instruct you.
    You will need a medicine dropper measured in mls.
    1 mls = 1 mgs .
    You only want to make up small amounts and keep it in a dark sealed bottle in the fridge.
    Alternatively, you could go back to your doctor and get a lower dose prescribed.
    But, chances are he/she does not understand LDN, else he/she would have prescribed a LDN dosage.

LDNscience.org is a great resource website.

Blessings,
    Bluedog

I have been on 4.5 mg for ~ 1 week .. too soon to notice any difference, but no negative change at all for me.

Thanks for the responses.

Yeah I think I've had a terrible reaction to it, now pretty much 'flushy' for 36 hours. With headache and enlarged pupil.

I will get a pill cutter, but have plans to go back to this doctor this week, so will discuss the lower dosage, hope he understands

So it will take a week to get rid of this out of my system? Annoying, whole head and face feels ruby red
    Last edited by Snoop; 29th July 2018 at 03:19 PM. Reason: !!!

Thanks for the responses.

Yeah I think I've had a terrible reaction to it, now pretty much 'flushy' for 36 hours. With headache and enlarged pupil.

I will get a pill cutter, but have plans to go back to this doctor this week, so will discuss the lower dosage, hope he understands

So it will take a week to get rid of this out of my system? Annoying, whole head and face feels ruby red
    Hi Snoop,

The video you want to watch is: "How to LOW DOSE Naltrexone (LDN)" which shows you step by step how to make LDN from a 50mg tablet.
    Else, you would have to get your doc to prescribe a much lower dose (usually 1.5 - 4.5 mgs).
    As tablets only come in 50 mgs, you would have to get the LDN compounded at a compounding pharmacy.
    If you go that route, make sure the pharmacy is using the fast acting version of the Naltrexone as that blocks the opioid receptors quickly and thus, the body releases the extra endorphins rapidly (ie) while you sleep.
    Remember, it appears best to take the LDN at bedtime (10 -2 am), so this conversion happens overnight.

Also, you cannot take any opioid based medications along w/the LDN.

I hope you have success w/this,
    Bluedog

Thanks for the reply once again.

I didnt realise it doesn't come in tablets under 50mg

Really feel wiped out today!

Doing that mixture myself does seem like hassle.

Would rather get the pills custom made to the smaller amount.

Cant I just cut them up into 4.5mg for example??

Or is that just impossible due to the size of the tablet

Thanks for the reply once again.

I didnt realise it doesn't come in tablets under 50mg

Really feel wiped out today!

Doing that mixture myself does seem like hassle.

Would rather get the pills custom made to the smaller amount.

Cant I just cut them up into 4.5mg for example??

Or is that just impossible due to the size of the tablet
    Hi Snoop,

It is only accurate to split pills that are "scored" or have a line across them.
    With scored pills there are equal amounts of the active ingredient in each half once split.
    So... you can split them, but you will have little control of the actual dosage you will be ingesting, so I would not recommend this.
    From what I have read on LDN, dosage is virtually everything when assessing whether or not you the medicine is effective for you.

I would find out where in your area where LDN is compounded and speak w/the pharmacist of that pharmacy.
    They would be able to tell you who prescribes the compounded LDN if you choose not to make your own up.
    Here in BC, Canada, Naturopathic MDs can also prescribe, so that maybe another option for you to consider if your GP won't prescribed the compounded LDN.
    It is best to have the name of the compounding pharmacy for your GP, so the GP can write the script correctly for the LDN.
    Keep in mind that you may have to pay for the compounded capsules, but fortunately, not very expensive.

Never give up,
    Bluedog

Default Sorry I havenít posted here for a while - and 4 Month (almost) UPDATE

Hi guys,

Sorry Iíve been away from the forum for a while, for some reason I wasnít getting any notifications of new posts on any of my subscribed threads until today.

Snoop... as other have said here, get far away from that 50mg naltrexone! My big question, though, is what kind of a doctor prescribed 50gm naltrexone for you..?? That sort of dose is never used for the outcomes weíre discussing here... no wonder you got horrible side effects... quite frankly, it sounds like you have a horrible dr too if it was prescribed for your rosacea.

If anyone is trying to titrate their naltrexone it can only mean theyíre buying it from dubious sources on the internet, so god knows what your getting. Please get LOW dose naltrexone properly prescribed from properly informed and qualified practitioners. Why on earth would anyone choose to not get the proper stuff from proper people? Itís so affordable. Iíve seen the YouTube video on how to make LDN from basic 50gm tabs and I canít understand at all why anyone would go to that trouble. I appreciate medicine is ridiculously costly in the USA and maybe thatís the reason, somforgive my ignorance if thatís the case.. here in the U.K. my monthly stock of LDN coasts me £20 on a private prescription. As the drug itself is not owned by big pharma, I canít imagine it would be as expensive as other drugs even in the US, surely?

FYI, LDN comes in a bottle when one first orders it, and itís administered with an oral syringe, so you can increase the dose gradually over time till you reac the max 4.5mg dose. Capsules are also available down the line, in both 3 and 4.5 mg doses, once one has settled on a permanent, long-term dose. (As an aside, 3mg tend to be for MS sufferers, many of whom seem to respond best to that daily dose).

MY UPDATE
    On the 13th of this month, I will have been taking LDN for four months... at the full dose for a bit more than two months. I continue to experience the same improvement I did almost right away, I have had no face pain now since April. A few other improvements have crept up on me almost unnoticed, until I realise retrospectively that I havenít experienced certain symptoms any more:

- My ears no longer flush (it used to be pretty much a daily occurrence, often with no obvious trigger)
    - My face is less sensitive.. I think skin barrier is improving.
    + My face is a little less red in its resting state.
    - I canít be sure about this last improvement yet... but I think my flush response is less than it was before. For the past two months itís been almost nonexistent, despite the heatwave weíve been having. Yes, I have been pretty pink of face when the temps hit the mid 30s C, but then so were most peoples faces here in Scotland! And the crucial point is, my face was pink, but it was not a flush..we all know the difference, donít we? But I want to see how things go on the flush front when winter (with all the cold-to-hot environment joys it brings) comes along

Other benefits, not directly associated with Rosacea, include better sleep... more regular bowel motility (I suffered for years from chronic constipation) and I feel calmer and less anxious generally... the latter may of course just be down to a reduction in stress directly related to my lack of rosacea symptoms....

Iím afraid I didnít go to the LDN conference after all... on reflection the content looked very orientated to medical folk.. I barely understood the paragraphs describing each presentation, AND it turned out DR Weinstock - the big draw for me - wasnít going to be there, so I decided to enjoy the sunny day instead!

Oh... one more thing... I continue to have ipl sessions. I had my 10th three days ago. my first since I started LDN... and I have had no difficult recovery issues whatsoever. Thatís another big first!

I think thatís it for now... except to say sorry to those of you who have PMd me in recent weeks.. I havenít been here to notice until today... Iíll get to you as soon as I can, unless of course Iíve already addressed your message in this post.

Lots of love to you all...and good luck to those of you who are also giving LDN a try..

Fiugs -

Just want to thank you for sharing your LDN experience. I am so glad it is giving you some relief. I recently gave it a try -- def. seems like a low risk, low side effect med for potentially big gains.

Thx again,

Lizzy