Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Reaction when brushing teeth

Could it be a sodium fluoride intolerance / allergy? Maybe a fluoride-free toothpaste may help alleviate some of your symptoms? I have the same reaction when I brush my teeth but I'm not 100% sure if it's from the fluoride in the toothpaste or when I spit it out the blood flows to my face much more / the blood vessels react.

Maybe try a fluoride free or maybe a different flavour than mint- flavoured? I think I'm gonna try fluoride free toothpaste soon and see if it makes a difference for me.

All the best.

Hi, I had the same problem, face flushing and redness during and (long) after brushing my teeth. For me it had to do with the toothpaste I used. I thought for a while that it was the fluoride that triggered my rosacea, but lately I am using a brand of toothpaste called Squigle, a high xylitol gentle toothpaste without SLS, spearmint and parabens and I use a fluoride free one during the day and a fluoride version at night (small amount). No more flares. I would be careful for the fluoride version not to drip down your chin as there is a scientific established link between perioral dermatitis (bumps and inflammation of the chin in this case) and fluoride toothpaste use.

Of course it could also be that you flare from fluoride or any other ingredient in your toothpaste, or indeed from the act of teeth brushing itself..

More on squigle in this forum post: https://rosaceagroup.org/The_Rosacea...hlight=Squigle

Have you thought about changing a toothbrush or toothpaste? The inappropriate ingredient of toothpaste is one of the most common reasons of allergic reaction. I also prefer using natural brushes, just like this bamboo toothbrush. It doesn't contain plastic and it's definitely better for those who have allergy.

I also used Squiggle, which you can buy from the Mouth Ulcers Shop website, which is a very mild toothpaste. However, now I prefer tea tree oil toothpaste (Desert Essence, Wintergreen):
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Desert-Esse...oil+toothpaste