Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 19 of 19

Thread: ipl treatment questions

  1. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Posts
    30

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by darren1 View Post
    I am 2 weeks into recovery from my first IPL. The settings used were quite strong.

    I've already had PDL and had moderate success with that, although hyperpigmentation and missed areas of skin were the side effects.

    Before the IPL treatment I went for a 20 minute run to cause a flush. This was done under the instruction from the doctor who treated me. This makes the IPL more effective.

    As of today, I see that speckles, small blobs and patches of normal skin tone are showing. These bits of skin look milky white, which is my normal colour.

    It's not that the redness fades for me. Rather, it shrinks, so that the remaining redness has irregular jagged edges and resembles land mass on a world atlas.

    I've been using aloe vera gel daily, about 4 or 5 times throughout each day. I believe this could be helping a lot.

    My face still looks quite red but I do see signs of improvement which considering I've had only 1 IPL and it is only 2 weeks post treatment, look promising.

    Hi..I've seen your youtube videos and appreciate the time you've taken to make them.

    I'm trying to remove some thread veins on nose and cheeks. There is redness from time to time across cheeks, but only certain trigger is
    running or going out in very cold weather.

    When you had a consultation at Circle Hospital Nottingham how long did it last? How much was it? My consultation was brief at 15 minutes and was 175
    at City Hospital Birmingham. There was a brief look with a magnifier at my face, but that was about it.

    Did you have a patch test prior to your V beam pulsed dye laser treatment? Did they put it on a certain setting? Did they test it on your face or elsewhere?
    Did you have to induce a flush prior to V beam treatment? How long did it take the 10mm patches to fade? Did they mention
    scarring? Is IPL less risky than laser for scarring. How did you decide between a dermatologist and a cosmetic surgeon?

    I've been quoted by a NHS dermatologist at City hospital Birmingham 149 for a patch test. I was then told it would be 249 for a max of 3 sessions.
    Were you informed that V beam is more intense than IPL and is better value for money?

    How did you deal with the very sunny summer? Did you just use sun cream at factor 50?

    Were you advised to try any supplements or change you diet in any way. I have had a negative skin patch test in 2011. I sometimes drink alcohol
    and don't eat very spicy food.

    I'm sorry for so many questions, but would appreciate any advice

    Thanks Phil

  2. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    184
    Country: UK

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by aguycalledphil View Post
    Hi..I've seen your youtube videos and appreciate the time you've taken to make them.

    I'm trying to remove some thread veins on nose and cheeks. There is redness from time to time across cheeks, but only certain trigger is
    running or going out in very cold weather.

    When you had a consultation at Circle Hospital Nottingham how long did it last?

    My consultation lasted about 10 minutes

    How much was it? My consultation was brief at 15 minutes and was 175

    It cost me 200.

    at City Hospital Birmingham. There was a brief look with a magnifier at my face, but that was about it.

    Did you have a patch test prior to your V beam pulsed dye laser treatment?

    Yes, I had a patch test. It cost 240 just for this

    Did they put it on a certain setting? Did they test it on your face or elsewhere?

    the patch test was literally 2 10mm circular spot treatments on bruising settings.

    Did you have to induce a flush prior to V beam treatment?

    I had the patch test in November 2017. It was freezing outside, and the building was warm, so I flushed quite a lot anyway.

    How long did it take the 10mm patches to fade?

    It took about 3 weeks for the patch to fade, and it was very successful.

    Did they mention scarring?

    It was mentioned briefly. I had to ask about it.

    Is IPL less risky than laser for scarring.

    I don't know. Hmm.. I should think laser is riskier because it can be so aggressive.

    How did you decide between a dermatologist and a cosmetic surgeon?

    I had no choice. The laser practitioner is a dermatologist with a special interest in laser.

    I've been quoted by a NHS dermatologist at City hospital Birmingham 149 for a patch test. I was then told it would be 249 for a max of 3 sessions.
    Were you informed that V beam is more intense than IPL and is better value for money?

    That seems like a reasonable price. Is each session a full face coverage? V beam does seem to be the "gold standard" but because it's a spot treatment it often misses key areas. When it misses, it misses!

    How did you deal with the very sunny summer? Did you just use sun cream at factor 50?

    Yes, and I avoided going out during the day if possible.

    Were you advised to try any supplements or change you diet in any way. I have had a negative skin patch test in 2011. I sometimes drink alcohol
    and don't eat very spicy food.

    No diet was not mentioend at all. I'm susprised. In the world of medicine, nutrition is pushed aside. Many GPs know nothing abut it. I took my nutrition knowledge upon myself.

    I'm sorry for so many questions, but would appreciate any advice

    Thanks Phil
    I'm recovering from Mirvaso-induced skin damage. Ask me about it if you are too.


  3. #13
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Posts
    6

    Default

    I had my first IPl session two days ago, especially focused on the telangiectasia on my nose and cheeks.

    I have to say the downtime on my side was very limited to almost none. Some slight redness, but as a matter in fact not much redder as usual.

    The results are already showing a bit, as the treated veins are dissapearing slightly. The general redness still exists, but I couldn't expect it to have dissapeared completely as the treatment was not focussed on the complete area.

    I will now wait for 4 more weeks to see how it evolves, and based on that go for another treatment.

    Keep you all posted.

  4. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Posts
    30

    Default Thanks for advice Darren1 and Veinwave

    Hi Darren1

    Thanks for advice. It was very useful for me. Have you ever tried Veinwave? Do you have any knowledge about it? I've put up a separate thread
    with youtube videos about it.

    Thanks

  5. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    184
    Country: UK

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Reddevil View Post
    I had my first IPl session two days ago, especially focused on the telangiectasia on my nose and cheeks.

    I have to say the downtime on my side was very limited to almost none. Some slight redness, but as a matter in fact not much redder as usual.

    The results are already showing a bit, as the treated veins are dissapearing slightly. The general redness still exists, but I couldn't expect it to have dissapeared completely as the treatment was not focussed on the complete area.

    I will now wait for 4 more weeks to see how it evolves, and based on that go for another treatment.

    Keep you all posted.
    My downtime was almost 3 weeks. It was the first IPL for me. I got "speckles" all over my face which looked like a bad acne outbreak. They started off as red spots which darkened and turned black, often scabbing.

    It was 3 weeks before I could shave. the skin around these speckles has blanched white slightly. So there is bespeckled/blotchy paleness which has emerged, and will hopefully continue as I have more treatments.

    I was told to make myself flush hard before my treatment, which I did.

    Quote Originally Posted by aguycalledphil View Post
    Hi Darren1

    Thanks for advice. It was very useful for me. Have you ever tried Veinwave? Do you have any knowledge about it? I've put up a separate thread
    with youtube videos about it.

    Thanks
    I've not heard of that, no. Please link me to your thread.
    Last edited by darren1; 9th December 2018 at 09:12 PM.
    I'm recovering from Mirvaso-induced skin damage. Ask me about it if you are too.


  6. #16
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Posts
    30

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by darren1 View Post
    My downtime was almost 3 weeks. It was the first IPL for me. I got "speckles" all over my face which looked like a bad acne outbreak. They started off as red spots which darkened and turned back, often scabbing.

    It was 3 weeks before I could shave. the skin around these speckles has blanched white slightly. So there is bespeckled/blotchy paleness which has emerged, and will hopefully continue as I have more treatments.

    I was told to make myself flush hard before my treatment, which I did.



    I've not heard of that, no. Please link me to your thread.
    Veinwave

    I have seen people have had successful results with this on youtube

    1 - GMTV https://youtu.be/yOl053EygBM

    2 - Veinwave Spider Vein Treatment - Good Day Sacramento - https://youtu.be/a2meE_npjHY

    3 - VEINWAVE featured on CBS's "The Doctors" - https://youtu.be/w-MNm85r8ZI

    4 - Dr Newmans Clinic on Embarrassing Bodies - https://youtu.be/N_6aad7owDI

    It appears to be a fine surgical instrument as opposed to the V beam pulsed dye laser and there is not the down time afterwards.

    Is it any good on rosacea/redness or is it better on thread veins?

    Has anyone done it through a NHS hospital?

    Was it done with a cosmetic surgeon or dermatologist?

    Is it only available privately in the UK?

    Any advice or details of anyone's experiences would be much appreciated...Thanks

  7. #17
    Senior Member mirradodga's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    UK- London
    Posts
    209

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by aguycalledphil View Post
    Veinwave

    I have seen people have had successful results with this on youtube

    1 - GMTV https://youtu.be/yOl053EygBM

    2 - Veinwave Spider Vein Treatment - Good Day Sacramento - https://youtu.be/a2meE_npjHY

    3 - VEINWAVE featured on CBS's "The Doctors" - https://youtu.be/w-MNm85r8ZI

    4 - Dr Newmans Clinic on Embarrassing Bodies - https://youtu.be/N_6aad7owDI

    It appears to be a fine surgical instrument as opposed to the V beam pulsed dye laser and there is not the down time afterwards.

    Is it any good on rosacea/redness or is it better on thread veins?

    Has anyone done it through a NHS hospital?

    Was it done with a cosmetic surgeon or dermatologist?

    Is it only available privately in the UK?

    Any advice or details of anyone's experiences would be much appreciated...Thanks
    Hi Phil
    Please see all my posts on veinwave
    It only works on threadveins, it does nothing for facial redness of flushing or blushing
    It is only available privately and is quite expensive, nothing available on NHS
    initially you would need at least 3 sessions to clear up and see a difference if you have a lot of facial broken threadveins
    New threadviens pop up all the time so you would need further top up treatment, say every 9-12 months to keep on top of it
    It worked well for me but others on this board advise it was a waste of time
    The tratment is carried out by a cosmetic surgeon and never by a trained derm

    Thanks
    MD

  8. #18
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    uk
    Posts
    40
    Country: England

    Default

    I had my first ipl 10 years ago followed by several more over the next 3 years.
    About a year after my last treatment i notice a very faint indentation on my jaw/cheek.It's gradually got worse but nothing too noticable to anyone else unless you look close.Its not a scar but an indentation about about 1mm or so wide by 50mm long in a perfect line.I attribute it to ipl as on one occasion the guy was pushing quite hard on my face.

  9. #19
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    184
    Country: UK

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by red devil View Post
    I had my first ipl 10 years ago followed by several more over the next 3 years.
    About a year after my last treatment i notice a very faint indentation on my jaw/cheek.It's gradually got worse but nothing too noticable to anyone else unless you look close.Its not a scar but an indentation about about 1mm or so wide by 50mm long in a perfect line.I attribute it to ipl as on one occasion the guy was pushing quite hard on my face.
    Sounds like mild fat atrophy. Bone broth is all I can suggest, as this builds collagen. I am making bone broth quite regularly at the moment, as I will be having my second IPL in January.

    On my first IPL, there was no hard pushing or pressing. I might mention this to my clinician.
    I'm recovering from Mirvaso-induced skin damage. Ask me about it if you are too.


Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 26th October 2010, 12:58 AM
  2. Post treatment flushing negating effect of the IPL treatment?
    By pinkpunk in forum Intense pulsed light and laser
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 16th April 2009, 08:06 AM
  3. A few questions after my first IPL treatment
    By Methree in forum Intense pulsed light and laser
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 6th September 2008, 06:15 AM
  4. IPL - Questions after my 1st treatment
    By flemmo in forum Intense pulsed light and laser
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 25th April 2007, 07:00 PM
  5. Pre IPL and Post IPL Questions About EsterC & Grape Seed
    By RedeemeR in forum Intense pulsed light and laser
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 23rd September 2005, 11:55 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •