Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My skin healed after gluten/dairy free diet

Default My skin healed after gluten/dairy free diet

I have had a lot of rosacea spots and inflammation in my face. After cutting out dairy, my skin started to get much better, but not 100 %.

Now I have been on gluten and dairy free diet for a few weeks and my skin is almost back to normal, no new spots or inflammation at all. I'm not sure if it is gluten or both gluten and dairy that causes my rosacea, but I will keep my diet and see what happens if I introduce something new.

I don't use any meds or skin products.
    Anyone who tried a strict gluten free diet?

Read post number 2 in this thread. Many have reported improvement with a gluten/dairy free diet. My educated guess is that engaging in a gluten/dairy free diet reduces sugar/carbohydrate.

The big test is to eat high sugar/carbohydrate (eat tons of fructose in fruits, sugar desserts that you love to eat, loads of starch such as white rice, and as much carbohydrate as you can ingest) and very, very low fat/protein in your diet to see if your gluten/dairy free diet is the success you are having. If you can eat loads of sugar/carbohydrate and diary/gluten free and continue to see improvement in your rosacea, please let us know.
    Last edited by Brady Barrows; 29th March 2018 at 06:44 PM.
    Brady Barrows
    Blog - Join the RRDi

Quote Originally Posted by Brady Barrows View Post
    Read post number 2 in this thread. Many have reported improvement with a gluten/dairy free diet. My educated guess is that engaging in a gluten/dairy free diet reduces sugar/carbohydrate.

The big test is to eat high sugar/carbohydrate (eat tons of fructose in fruits, sugar desserts that you love to eat, loads of starch such as white rice, and as much carbohydrate as you can ingest) and very, very low fat/protein in your diet to see if your gluten/dairy free diet is the success you are having. If you can eat loads of sugar/carbohydrate and diary/gluten free and continue to see improvement in your rosacea, please let us know.
    Slightly off on a tangent. I've had a demodex infestation, currently under control and slowly getting better. I have totally cut out sugar, yeast, dairy, gluten.
    a. My question is with the "sugar" part of this ... should I also be cutting out fructose ie the sugar in fruit (and therefore fruit)? I assumed that demodex mites love the refined sugar but that fruit sugar from fresh fruit was ok to eat. Could you clarify? I ask because although I have cut out refined sugar (and biscuits etc) I still have small amount of white heads;

b. do demodex also go for carbohydrates (such as rice) and should I therefore be looking to cut carbs too? I don't eat bread anyway now so as to avoid gluten and yeast. Again, guidance would be hugely appreciated.

For me, no diet helped me to eradicate demodex. It wasn't until I was given Soolantra did the mite infestation go away. My skin is now clear and I never get pustules anymore. I believe that demodex got out of control for me due to UV damage (I rarely wore sunscreen and I have been burned numerous times on my cheeks), stress (I just came out of a nasty divorce) and also not using the correct products to properly wash and moisturize my face (I was using a lot of oils and not cleansing my face properly: dead skin and oils are nourishment for demodex to flourish).

I eat a 100% plant based diet, with a large amount of my carbohydrate intake coming from fruit (I probably consume between 10-15 servings of fruit per day). I tend to believe that whole plant foods help promote a healthy gut microbiome and should not be limited, unless one has an allergy or sensitivity (such as gluten).

Quote Originally Posted by MissM View Post
    For me, no diet helped me to eradicate demodex. It wasn't until I was given Soolantra did the mite infestation go away. My skin is now clear and I never get pustules anymore. I believe that demodex got out of control for me due to UV damage (I rarely wore sunscreen and I have been burned numerous times on my cheeks), stress (I just came out of a nasty divorce) and also not using the correct products to properly wash and moisturize my face (I was using a lot of oils and not cleansing my face properly: dead skin and oils are nourishment for demodex to flourish).

I eat a 100% plant based diet, with a large amount of my carbohydrate intake coming from fruit (I probably consume between 10-15 servings of fruit per day). I tend to believe that whole plant foods help promote a healthy gut microbiome and should not be limited, unless one has an allergy or sensitivity (such as gluten).
    Thanks for your post. Good for you, I'm glad to hear you've conquered the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by KSD69 View Post
    Slightly off on a tangent. I've had a demodex infestation, currently under control and slowly getting better. I have totally cut out sugar, yeast, dairy, gluten.
    a. My question is with the "sugar" part of this ... should I also be cutting out fructose ie the sugar in fruit (and therefore fruit)? I assumed that demodex mites love the refined sugar but that fruit sugar from fresh fruit was ok to eat. Could you clarify? I ask because although I have cut out refined sugar (and biscuits etc) I still have small amount of white heads;

b. do demodex also go for carbohydrates (such as rice) and should I therefore be looking to cut carbs too? I don't eat bread anyway now so as to avoid gluten and yeast. Again, guidance would be hugely appreciated.
    Sugar comes in many forms, fructose, lactose, galactose, starch, and the list goes on and on. Sugar (all forms) is a rosacea trigger, just as valid as any other proposed sugar. The only way to know is cut out all forms of sugar for thirty days (all carbohydrate is simply different forms of sugar) and see if your rosacea improves. Then at the end of the thirty days gorge yourself with every type of sugar you want for a week and see if your rosacea comes back.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Brady Barrows
    Blog - Join the RRDi

I try to avoid white sugar but I eat a lot of tropical fruit.
    I also eat all sorts of veggies, potatoes, rice, oliveoil, tahini, nuts, egg, fish and meat. I drink coffee with oatmilk.

It's hard for me to be on this dairy free and gluten free diet, but it's worth it because my skin cleared out after just 2-3 weeks.

I'm trying to find a natural cure and find the cause of the symtoms. I googled antiinflammatory diet and I think the symtoms has something to do with leaking gut, even if I never have had any problems with my gut.

Please let me know if you have any success with going gluten or dairy free.

Quote Originally Posted by KSD69 View Post

As for the b part of your question, demodex mites go for sebum (secreted by the sebaceous gland in humans, is primarily composed of triglycerides (~41%), wax esters (~26%), squalene (~12%), and free fatty acids (~16%). Triglycerides are chemically tri esters of fatty acids and glycerol. Glycerides, more correctly known as acylglycerols, are esters formed from glycerol and fatty acids. Glycerol (also called glycerine or glycerin) is a simple polyol compound. A polyol is an organic compound containing multiple hydroxyl groups. We could go on about this. But the main course of demodex is sebum. So I doubt if demodex go for carbohydrate.
    Brady Barrows
    Blog - Join the RRDi

Quote Originally Posted by Brady Barrows View Post
    We could go on about this. But the main course of demodex is sebum. So I doubt if demodex go for carbohydrate.
    They eat sebum but that also means we feed them any time we eat foods that make us produce more sebum. Depending on the person that can include sugar, processed foods, dairy, gluten, caffeine, alcohol, etc.

For me, cutting out dairy and gluten helped a lot but then as I started adding substitutes (gluten-free vegan donut, anyone?) my problems came back. I find that dairy, gluten, sugar, and really any refined flours and processed foods can bring my symptoms back. I also find that if I keep a generally healthy diet, mostly free of these things day to day, with lots of good fresh veggies and fruits and whole grains like brown rice and corn, I can occasionally indulge without a problem as long as I get right back to my regular diet rather than having pizza, bagel and cream cheese, donuts, bread, etc, two or three or more days in a row.

I also find that I do best when I combine healthy eating (meaning lots of vegetables and whole foods, low sugar, limit wheat, dairy, alcohol, caffeine, fried and processed foods) with effective topical hygiene (current winners include a facial/eye cleanser and shampoo from Ovante's demodex line, jojoba oil mixed with TTO, and Rosacea Ltd IV). When my diet is too strict I start to feel isolated and depressed, so I’m glad I was able to figure out a diet and hygiene routine that allows me to say yes occasionally to the foods of the culture around me, whether for social reasons or as a treat. The main challenge is that sugar, dairy, and gluten all seem to be habit forming, so the temptation to push it when symptoms don’t immediately reappear can be compelling - a lesson my intellectual mind knows well but my behavior doesn’t always match. Holidays are especially hard; I've come to think of January through March as recovery months!

As for the sugar question, I've done very strict no sugar diet and eventually came around to a more moderate approach. I do eat fruits, but within reason. And I limit things like fruit juice or dried fruits, which concentrate sugar. Again, the guideline of sticking to whole foods helps, as well as a little common sense and balance. This is just what has worked for me and been sustainable over time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Nadine; 30th March 2018 at 06:39 PM.

Default sebum

Since we are on a roll here with sebum (secreted by the sebaceous gland in humans) in another thread someone pointed a link to an article that said the following:

"There is increasing evidence that sebaceous fatty acids play a role in the maintenance of skin barrier integrity. We have shown for the first time that patients with PPR have an abnormal sebaceous fatty acid composition, with reduced levels of long chain saturated fatty acids. These new findings may have therapeutic implications for the development of sebum-modifying nonantibiotic treatments for patients with PPR."
    Brady Barrows
    Blog - Join the RRDi