Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lutein & Zeaxanthin for Occular Rosacea / Blepharitis Lid/Gland Inflammation - Tears!

Default Lutein & Zeaxanthin for Occular Rosacea / Blepharitis Lid/Gland Inflammation - Tears!

4 days ago I started taking a Lutein (10 mg) + Zeaxanthin (2 mg) supplement to help my meibomian glands and eyelids recover from inflammation caused by occular rosacea / blepharitis demodex. There are a number of articles on the web with doctors recommending Lutein+Zeaxanthin+Omega 3 supplements for blepharitis patients to reduce the lid inflammation. Lutein and Zeaxanthin are carotinids found in fresh vegetables and fruit. They are known to protect the eye from UV and blue light, to improve night vision and also to potentially reduce the problems from cataracts or macular degeneration. They are absorbed better if taken with some Omega 3 rich oil (fish oil, flax seed oil, etc).

I had blepharitis demodex / occular rosacea for many years as it was misdiagnosed as "allergic conjunctivitis". Treatment with oral ivermectin and oral metronidazole finally cleared up the demodex infestation. But my lids were still swollen with the meibomian glands not functioning very well.

Its amazing! My meibomian glands are making the oily tear film much more easily now. And my eyelids feel and look less swollen. My vision seems much sharper as well. Having a working oily tear film really helps the eyes.

Another post indicated that this supplement had helped clear up the poster's rosacea.
    Last edited by ElaineA; 25th March 2018 at 09:06 PM.

I think I'm going to give these a try! I haven't actually had a sty since I took oral ivermectin, but I'd like to keep it that way without needing to redose. Did you see any negative effects during your research or experience?

Quote Originally Posted by maybethistime View Post
    I think I'm going to give these a try! I haven't actually had a sty since I took oral ivermectin, but I'd like to keep it that way without needing to redose. Did you see any negative effects during your research or experience?
    I haven't had any negative effects and haven't seen any in my research as long as you stay within a recommended dose. Spinach and Kale both have high amounts of Lutein. But it is hard to get that much per day from other food. I got the BlueBonnet Lutein (10 mg) Zeaxanthin (2mg) supplement from Sprout's last week to try. Just ordered Doctor's Best Lutein with OptiLut since it is less expensive. Both have high ratings.

Here's what WebMd says:

Lutein is LIKELY SAFE when taken by mouth appropriately. Consuming 6.9-11.7 mg/day of lutein as part of the diet appears to be safe. Lutein supplements have been used safely in studies in doses up to 15 mg daily for up to 2 years.

Special Precautions & Warnings:
    Pregnancy and breast-feeding: Lutein is LIKELY SAFE when used in the amounts found in food.

Cystic fibrosis: People with cystic fibrosis might not absorb some carotenoids from food very well, and often have low blood levels of lutein. How much the body absorbs from lutein supplementation might also be decreased in people with cystic fibrosis.

https://www.webmd.com/vitamins-suppl...entname=lutein

Oooh, makes me wonder if that's part of why I've been free of stys - I've recently begun dieting and am eating a metric ton of spinach

I did find the Higher Nature supplement Astaxanthin and Blackcurrant helpful for an eye problem. However, I couldn't take it every day as it did cause a little rosacea flushing. Lutein caused more rosacea flushing than the above supplement so I didn't take it after a couple of times. So it's worth trying more than one option if you do want to try one of these type of supplements if the first doesn't suit you.

Quote Originally Posted by antwantsclear View Post
    I did find the Higher Nature supplement Astaxanthin and Blackcurrant helpful for an eye problem. However, I couldn't take it every day as it did cause a little rosacea flushing. Lutein caused more rosacea flushing than the above supplement so I didn't take it after a couple of times. So it's worth trying more than one option if you do want to try one of these type of supplements if the first doesn't suit you.
    really did you find that lutein made your rosacea flushed?
    there is one experience by forum member called `marcello` who said that it helped him take his rosacea under control ,and i decided after that to give it a try ,today is my 4 day on it.

Quote Originally Posted by asm View Post
    really did you find that lutein made your rosacea flushed?
    there is one experience by forum member called `marcello` who said that it helped him take his rosacea under control ,and i decided after that to give it a try ,today is my 4 day on it.
    Rosacea flushing can be very sensitive because it is basically a response to anything that changes bloodflow/blood pressure at all. Some supplements can cause an initial flush and then a benefit. I think you have to weigh up the benefits and negatives as it effects you individually. But I'm sure these supplements can help the eyes as I've experienced it myself.

Quote Originally Posted by antwantsclear View Post
    Rosacea flushing can be very sensitive because it is basically a response to anything that changes bloodflow/blood pressure at all. Some supplements can cause an initial flush and then a benefit. I think you have to weigh up the benefits and negatives as it effects you individually. But I'm sure these supplements can help the eyes as I've experienced it myself.
    thank you for your reply i really appreciate it

Quote Originally Posted by ElaineA View Post
    I haven't had any negative effects and haven't seen any in my research as long as you stay within a recommended dose. Spinach and Kale both have high amounts of Lutein. But it is hard to get that much per day from other food. I got the BlueBonnet Lutein (10 mg) Zeaxanthin (2mg) supplement from Sprout's last week to try. Just ordered Doctor's Best Lutein with OptiLut since it is less expensive. Both have high ratings.

Here's what WebMd says:

Lutein is LIKELY SAFE when taken by mouth appropriately. Consuming 6.9-11.7 mg/day of lutein as part of the diet appears to be safe. Lutein supplements have been used safely in studies in doses up to 15 mg daily for up to 2 years.

Special Precautions & Warnings:
    Pregnancy and breast-feeding: Lutein is LIKELY SAFE when used in the amounts found in food.

Cystic fibrosis: People with cystic fibrosis might not absorb some carotenoids from food very well, and often have low blood levels of lutein. How much the body absorbs from lutein supplementation might also be decreased in people with cystic fibrosis.

https://www.webmd.com/vitamins-suppl...entname=lutein
    Elaine,

What was your dose of oral ivermectin? How long did you take the meds?

Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by sg321 View Post
    Elaine,

What was your dose of oral ivermectin? How long did you take the meds?

Thank you!
    Short answer: Your dose of Ivermectin should be based on your body weight. For me that was 12 mg of Ivermectin per dose based on my body weight. Two doses of 12 mg. Ivermectin one week apart. Plus Oral Metronidazole 250 mg, 3 times a day for the two week time period. You will take both drugs on the start of the first and second weeks. On the other days you will take the Oral Metronidazole.

Here's the details.

The treatment with Oral Ivermectin and Oral Metronidazole was based on an article published in the International Journal of Infectious disease in 2013. Treatment takes 2 weeks. Oral Ivermectin and Oral Metronidazole. Insurance copay for me was just $13.03 USD (Uninsured retail about $52 USD).

Paper can be found here: https://www.sciencedirect.com/scienc...0197121201315X

Treatment (from paper) based on body weight for the oral Ivernectin:
    1. Two doses of oral Ivermectin one week apart, 200 micrograms Ivermectin per kilogram of body weight. Worked out to 12 mg for me - I am a relatively small adult. Take on an empty stomach with a large glass of water.
    2. Oral Metronidazole, 250 mg. three times a day for two weeks.

As always, it is best to discuss this treatment with your doctor. These are prescription drugs. My family doctor was most helpful.

Converting 1 lb to kilograms and working out 0.2mg/kilogram

1 Pound = 0.453592 Kilograms => 0.453592 Kilograms/lb * 0.2 mg/Kilogram = 0.0907184 mg Ivermectin /lb of body weight.

So take your body weight in pounds and multiply by 0.0907184 mg Ivermectin /lb. As always its best to check with your doctor on the proper dosage!

Results from the paper on 120 people with confirmed Demodex mites for 4 different skin conditions including rosacea, acne, and blepharitis demodex (occular rosacea):

Remision: 71.6% of people in the study with the oral Ivermectin+ oral Metronidazole treatement went into remission vs. 45% on just oral Ivermectin.
    Marked improvement: 26.7% (Oral Iver+ Oral Metro) vs. 33% (Oral Iver. only).
    No Improvement: 1.7% (Oral Iver+ Oral Metro) vs. 21.7% (Oral Iver. only)

Another article I read said that liquid Metronidazole will not kill demodex mites. Based on my own experience, Metrogel did not work for me topically. The Oral Metronidazole in combination with the Oral Ivermectin worked extremely well. I'm nearly at 7 weeks post treatment and skin and eyes are still clear.
    Last edited by ElaineA; 27th March 2018 at 02:48 AM.