Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 21

Thread: Recommendations for cleansers and moisturizers?

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Posts
    6

    Default Recommendations for cleansers and moisturizers?

    I'm 23 and have had rosacea for about 7 years, but I only recently was officially diagnosed. I always knew I had to be careful with my skin, but now I am actively trying to repair/minimize damage. The problem is there are so many sensitive skin and rosacea products out there that I am feeling a bit overwhelmed.

    So, my question is, what cleansers and moisturizers work for you? I've used Burt's Bees Sensitive Skin line for a few years, but I'm anxious to hear if anyone else has experience with it and whether it is actually pretty safe to use. I have also recently discovered the First Aid Beauty skin care line and purchased the Ultra Repair Face Moisturizer (which really helped with redness and dryness at first) and the Skin Rescue Daily Face Cream (which has minimal ingredients but might be causing extra redness).

    I hear a lot about Cerave and Cetaphil but I'm wary of these two brands since the cetaphil cleanser has sodium lauryl sulfate in it and since the cerave spf 50 facial sunscreen gave me a flare up.

    What do you guys think? Any info would be greatly appreciated.

  2. #2
    Senior Member Nadine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Northwestern USA
    Posts
    238
    Country: United States

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Justpeachy View Post
    I'm 23 and have had rosacea for about 7 years, but I only recently was officially diagnosed. I always knew I had to be careful with my skin, but now I am actively trying to repair/minimize damage. The problem is there are so many sensitive skin and rosacea products out there that I am feeling a bit overwhelmed.

    So, my question is, what cleansers and moisturizers work for you? I've used Burt's Bees Sensitive Skin line for a few years, but I'm anxious to hear if anyone else has experience with it and whether it is actually pretty safe to use. I have also recently discovered the First Aid Beauty skin care line and purchased the Ultra Repair Face Moisturizer (which really helped with redness and dryness at first) and the Skin Rescue Daily Face Cream (which has minimal ingredients but might be causing extra redness).

    I hear a lot about Cerave and Cetaphil but I'm wary of these two brands since the cetaphil cleanser has sodium lauryl sulfate in it and since the cerave spf 50 facial sunscreen gave me a flare up.

    What do you guys think? Any info would be greatly appreciated.
    My skin is super sensitive too, even to products that are especially for sensitive skin. With so many ingredients to react to, my strategy has been to go for simple, single-ingredient products. My favorite moisturizer was a cosmetic grade almond oil I got from Whole Foods, but it was too expensive to use long term. Next best is jojoba oil, which I can get at Trader Joe's. I think a 4 oz bottle is $6.99, and it goes a long way. It can also double as a make-up remover. I've been adding tea tree oil to it (about 4 parts jojoba to 1 part tea tree) because TTO has antimicrobial properties that seem to help.

    I've also had good experience with alba botanica jasmine and vitamin E facial moisturizer. As a daily suncscreen that also helps blend skin tone, I love Laura Mercier SPF 20 tinted moisturizer. I don't usually use foundation or powder, and unless I'm having a particularly bad skin day, I'm good to go with just that.

    For a cleanser, I like Alba Botanica Pineapple Enzyme facial cleanser. Occasionally I also use a Clinique facial soap that I bought a long time ago. I may be misremembering but I think it's a special extra sensitive skin bar outside their usual marketed level 1-3. Or maybe it's just the level 1. I know that for a while in my late 20s I was using level 2 (labeled for combination skin) and when the Clinique rep found out I had rosacea she sold me this other kind. I seem to remember it being like a "level 0" you had to request, but it might have just been that she explained to me that level 1 ("for dry or very dry skin") is also for sensitive skin. I haven't bought it in years but I still have a bar due to using it only rarely (and also it just lasts).

    I haven't tried Burts Bees Sensitive Skin line. I used Cetaphil in the past on a dermatologist's recommendation but never really liked it. I prefer the more natural ingredient products, and short ingredient lists or single ingredients, just so there aren't so many things for my skin to react to.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Posts
    20

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nadine View Post
    My skin is super sensitive too, even to products that are especially for sensitive skin. With so many ingredients to react to, my strategy has been to go for simple, single-ingredient products. My favorite moisturizer was a cosmetic grade almond oil I got from Whole Foods, but it was too expensive to use long term. Next best is jojoba oil, which I can get at Trader Joe's. I think a 4 oz bottle is $6.99, and it goes a long way. It can also double as a make-up remover. I've been adding tea tree oil to it (about 4 parts jojoba to 1 part tea tree) because TTO has antimicrobial properties that seem to help.

    I've also had good experience with alba botanica jasmine and vitamin E facial moisturizer. As a daily suncscreen that also helps blend skin tone, I love Laura Mercier SPF 20 tinted moisturizer. I don't usually use foundation or powder, and unless I'm having a particularly bad skin day, I'm good to go with just that.

    For a cleanser, I like Alba Botanica Pineapple Enzyme facial cleanser. Occasionally I also use a Clinique facial soap that I bought a long time ago. I may be misremembering but I think it's a special extra sensitive skin bar outside their usual marketed level 1-3. Or maybe it's just the level 1. I know that for a while in my late 20s I was using level 2 (labeled for combination skin) and when the Clinique rep found out I had rosacea she sold me this other kind. I seem to remember it being like a "level 0" you had to request, but it might have just been that she explained to me that level 1 ("for dry or very dry skin") is also for sensitive skin. I haven't bought it in years but I still have a bar due to using it only rarely (and also it just lasts).

    I haven't tried Burts Bees Sensitive Skin line. I used Cetaphil in the past on a dermatologist's recommendation but never really liked it. I prefer the more natural ingredient products, and short ingredient lists or single ingredients, just so there aren't so many things for my skin to react to.
    Whatever you use be careful not to over do it with to many products. That could actually make it worse. Thatís what happened to me. Make sure you wait a least 15 minutes in between products including face wash and moisturizer.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Posts
    20

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Scarlett Jones View Post
    Whatever you use be careful not to over do it with to many products. That could actually make it worse. Thatís what happened to me. Make sure you wait a least 15 minutes in between products including face wash and moisturizer.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    You can read my recent original post for more details....


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Posts
    16
    Country: United States

    Default

    Last month I switched from some Aveeno cleanser to Paula's Choice Skin Recovery for Redness/Rosacea. It's a cream cleanser and I like it a lot. I'm using Goldfix Retinol + Moisturizer + SPF50 for daytime use, but I'm looking for a night moisturizer. I may just end up using Jojoba, Argan, and Tea Tree oils, which I mix up ~3:2:1 and use a time or two each week after a bentonite clay mask. I might skip the Tea Tree Oil for nightly use, depends on how my skin takes to it. I also purchased some micellar water but I'm sticking to the cream cleanser for now.

    I have to wait awhile before I make any changes, as I took Ivermectin to deal with a suspected Demodex overinfestation. I want to add an AHA product to my daily regimen but haven't settled on one yet, I only just started using Retinol this year.

    My skin really seems to love being well treated, but nothing I've done has had any effect at all on my constant redness. I'm fortunate in that I don't get raised bumps / pustules all that often, but I'm still just a pink person 24 hours a day - and sometimes I'm downright red.

    Thank you for this thread, I'm still looking for certain products to add to my regimen and appreciate hearing what everyone else has success with.

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Posts
    169

    Default

    hi Iíve posted in another thread but maybe itíd be better asking here? Iím new to all this face regime stuff. I dont really get the difference between moisturiser, lotion, cleanser....are cleansers to use instead of face wash or as well?
    Iím considering using this:
    Cerave lotion UK version, anything that could feed yeast & demodex? or any other concern like possible irritants?
    would it be ok to use as a base for zz? or just a face moisturiser?
    They aren't selling the face product here yet.

    Aqua/Water, Glycerin, Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride, Cetearyl Alcohol, Cetyl Alcohol, Dimethicone, Phenoxyethanol, Polysorbate 20, Ceteareth-20, Behentrimonium Methosulfate, Polyglyceryl-3 Diisostearate, Sodium Lauroyl Lactylate, Ethylhexyglycerin, Potassium Phosphate, Disodium Edtae, Dipostassium Phosphate, Ceramide NP, Ceramide AP, Phytosphingosine, Cholesterol, Xanthan Gum, Carbomer, Sodium Hylauronate, Tocopherol, Ceramide EOP.


    There is this one too, calls itself moisturising cream but its looks like very similar ingredients:

    Aqua/Water, Glycerin, Cetearyl Alcohol, Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride, Cetyl Alcohol, Ceteareth-20, Petrolatum, Dimethicone, Phenoxyethanol, Behentrimonium Methosulfate, Potassium Phosphate, Ethylhexyglycerin, Sodium Lauroyl Lactylate, Disodium Edta, Dipostassium Phosphate, Ceramide NP, Ceramide AP, Phytoshingosine, Cholesterol, Xanthan Gum, Carbomer, Sodium Hyaluronate, Tocopherol, Ceramide EOP


    thanks

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    310
    Country: UK

    Default

    I've been using E45 lotion and Bio-oil for a few months, and it seems to be helping.

    The only cleanser I have right now it tea tree facial scrub, which I use gently since it is an exfoliant.
    I'm recovering from Mirvaso-induced skin damage. Ask me about it if you are too.



    T-Shirt: "Laser skin treatment. That's what it is if you're wondering. Yes, it hurt."

  8. #8
    Senior Member Nadine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Northwestern USA
    Posts
    238
    Country: United States

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Elmo View Post
    hi Iíve posted in another thread but maybe itíd be better asking here? Iím new to all this face regime stuff. I dont really get the difference between moisturiser, lotion, cleanser....are cleansers to use instead of face wash or as well?
    I think of ďcleanserĒ as a general category that includes soaps and other non-soap cleansers, something that removes most of the dirt or excess oil from the face. (If there is make-up, some of us have to use a make-up remover first.) After cleansing/washing, one starts with a clean face and usually any topical medication gets applied at that stage. A moisturizer (sometimes with a sunscreen included) can be applied after that, followed by any make- up. If one is using an exfoliant or mask, it would usually be done between cleansing and moisturizing. ďMoisturizerĒ is a category that might include lotions, creams, or oils - anything used to add moisture to the skin.

    What makes things confusing is that some products/substances can fulfill more than one category. For instance, raw organic honey can function as both a cleanser and an exfoliant/mask. Argan oil or jojoba oil can function as both a make-up remover and a moisturizer. Essential oils such as tea tree oil can be added to a base oil like jojoba oil and function as a natural antimicrobial agent as well as a moisturizer. But by thinking of these general categories, one is able to think of the different products/substances as modules in a regimen, and you can mix and match to some extent. Although as someone else mentioned, itís a good idea to be careful not to overwhelm the skin with too many products/ingredients at once - especially being careful not to add too many new ingredients at once.

    For anyone who has ever had a cat, itís a little bit like changing a catís food - if you switch suddenly all at once, the cat can get sick, but by adding a little new food at a time you can complete the transition over a week or two with no problem. My skin is so sensitive, I try not to ever add more than one new thing at a time, and try to stick to simple, single-ingredient products when I can. Iíve grown wary of prescription topicals for this reason, due to some bad experiences - but others do really well with them, while natural or over he counter remedies donít seem to help them. Itís a very individual process, based on not only what your skin will tolerate and respond to, but also what your personal philosophy, preferences, and budget will allow.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  9. #9
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Posts
    23
    Country: Great Britain

    Default

    ive tried alot of products and non really have helped with the redness/flushing. i guess some products dont necessarily irritate the redness, but whether they actually help in having a positive impact in reducing baseline redness/flushing, well i am yet to be convinced.

    i am currently using a ph balancing cleanser (no alchohol, parabens etc) , and have recently switched to cerave pm (as I heard alot of good things). But as my skin since i developed redness has become more oily i am finding this cream isnt helping to combat this issue, or anythig else TBH.

    I had hoped that maybe restoring my skin barrier would help in reducing redness but there seems to be no effect. A lot of rocesea products seemed more geared towards helping dry inflamed skin and i dont suffer from dryness or P&P's.

    i am thinking of going back to a more natural skin care regime (oils, honey etc), and using creams that dont have a lot of nasty chemicals in. So if anyone has any recommendations that would be brilliant!

  10. #10
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Posts
    8
    Country: United States

    Default Best Cleanser

    I have struggled with severe rosacea in the past, now moderate. I currently use Toleraine Dermo Cleanser by La Roche Posay and I find it to be very none irritating. I find that products with as few ingredients as possible are best. Following this logic I use Toleraine which has very few ingredients, but you might also try a cleansing oil (although you need to identify one that works for your skin, as different oils will cause clogged pores in different individuals). For example, many people like coconut oil but it always gives my cystic-like acne.

Similar Threads

  1. Moisturizers and cleansers
    By in forum Topical and oral products (non-prescription)
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 29th June 2008, 07:32 AM
  2. Moisturizers
    By Lauren 007 in forum Topical and oral products (non-prescription)
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 27th June 2008, 05:07 PM
  3. Cleansers and Moisturizers for Rosacea.
    By Charchar in forum Topical and oral products (non-prescription)
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 4th May 2008, 01:55 AM
  4. Moisturizers for guys
    By man_from_mars in forum General rosacea questions
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 3rd April 2008, 10:38 PM
  5. oil cleansers milder than usual cleansers, yet cleanse bette
    By orangehorizon in forum Topical and oral products (non-prescription)
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10th November 2007, 08:42 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •