Thread: Soolantra w/rosacea & seb derm? So depressed w/pics

Default Soolantra w/rosacea & seb derm? So depressed w/pics

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone out there has tried soolantra with both seborrheic dermatitis and rosacea present? I have been told mild rosacea with an overlying yeast overgrowth as well as a perioral dermatitis component . I get a waxy coating in and behind my ears, a thick keratin/dead skin build up throughout the whole center of my face, and I do flush from time to time. I have about three little broken capillaries as well. Everything I try flares my face. If I remove the flakes I get these aggravated pimples. I've tried so many things, from diets to fancy face potions lol antifungals, antibacterial, you name it. I did try soolantra before but like I said, when I rub any type of cream on my skin it makes the pimples erupt! I also have a history of tinea versicolor. I practically just wash my face with distilled water every other day because tap water or washing more frequently makes it worse. Anyway, I'm extremely depressed over this. I've considered taking antidepressants but I'm scared they will make my skin worse. I'm supposed to get married this summer and am dreading the thought of walking down the aisle with everyone staring at my condition. Makeup is a no go because it just makes the flakes way more visible. I did get a skin biopsy once that just showed 1 demodex mite, which everyone has. I will also note that I do have GI issues (SIBO) that I've also tried treating with my GI doctor with little success. I'm just so done with this that I keep considering pulling out old prescriptions like Soolantra to see if maybe it will work this time. Sorry for the rant, I just really need help.bleh face .jpg here is a picture on an okay day. It doesn't show all the dead skin build up, but it is there. I have a very sandpaper-like texture to my skin. Its like each pore has a little flake/waxy plug.
    Last edited by Kelly1180; 13th March 2018 at 10:32 PM.

I know the pain - I truly believe I had seb dermatitis with rosacea. I FINALLY think Iím getting to some results. Iíve been over 6 weeks without significant breakouts.

1. Buy CLN body wash and use this on your face 2x per day. I rinse with water, use about a dime size CLN wash and lather it in for 2-3 min. It can be drying depending on your skin so I recommend trying cerave moisturizing cream (tub) but only after you just try CLN and #2..

2. The second saving grace for me has been alevicyn gel. It is a prescription and not a steroid or an antibiotic. Itís safe for long term use and I lather it on at night - spot treat anything with it during the day. Itís clear and leaves a little flaky look, but almost like a concealer.

I have had problems with spots for over 1.5 years and I truly believe these 2 (coupled with a gluten free and dairy free diet) have helped me the most.

It took me going to 3 dermatologists to finally get some results WITHOUT antibiotics or steroids. Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Ag2001 View Post
    I know the pain - I truly believe I had seb dermatitis with rosacea. I FINALLY think I’m getting to some results. I’ve been over 6 weeks without significant breakouts.

1. Buy CLN body wash and use this on your face 2x per day. I rinse with water, use about a dime size CLN wash and lather it in for 2-3 min. It can be drying depending on your skin so I recommend trying cerave moisturizing cream (tub) but only after you just try CLN and #2..

2. The second saving grace for me has been alevicyn gel. It is a prescription and not a steroid or an antibiotic. It’s safe for long term use and I lather it on at night - spot treat anything with it during the day. It’s clear and leaves a little flaky look, but almost like a concealer.

I have had problems with spots for over 1.5 years and I truly believe these 2 (coupled with a gluten free and dairy free diet) have helped me the most.

It took me going to 3 dermatologists to finally get some results WITHOUT antibiotics or steroids. Good luck!
    Ag2001, thanks for the tip on Alevicyn which I have never heard about (there are no posts in RF about Alevicyn other than your two posts on this). I now have a post on this hoping others may try it and get more results from others if this works.
    Brady Barrows
    Blog ē Join the RRDi

Default Soolantra cream 1%

Hello,
    I have suffered from Rosacea for 25 years. I get the papules, and they were getting worse. I now have a clear face for the first time in all those years. Here is what I did...

1) I went to a new dermatologist who told me about Soolantra cream 1%. This cream kills the derma mites that live, then die in your pores. People with Rosacea can be sensitive to these mites and have an allergic reaction to the waste products from them. I applied it to the areas of break out for about 3 weeks before I noticed my face clearing up.

2) I stopped eating food triggers for break outs which include: hard, sharp cheeses, tomatoes, and any kind of pepper, and chocolate and wine! It is sad to have to give them up, but I finally figured out the triggers. I can eat mozzarella, and creamy non-sharp cheddar, cottage cheese, or other mild cheeses. Many spice mixes have black pepper or red pepper in them, so I had to stop using many of them.

3) I put the Soolantra on in the morning, then use Metronidazole Gel 1% at night. But, I had used the MetroGel before and it didn't work by itself, so I'm not sure it is helpful or not. I use Cetaphil gentle foaming cleanser to wash my face. Derma mites actually feed on the oil from your skin! So, cleaning is important. Don't use any cleansers that are harsh, or with perfumes or fragrances, or acids in them for rosacea. Hope this helps!

Quote Originally Posted by Ag2001 View Post
    I know the pain - I truly believe I had seb dermatitis with rosacea. I FINALLY think Iím getting to some results. Iíve been over 6 weeks without significant breakouts.

2. The second saving grace for me has been alevicyn gel. It is a prescription and not a steroid or an antibiotic. Itís safe for long term use and I lather it on at night - spot treat anything with it during the day. Itís clear and leaves a little flaky look, but almost like a concealer.

Thanks for the reply! Unfortunately I canít use anything with sulfates in it, which your body wash has in it. But the prescription your using sounds promising! I will ask my derm about it!
    Last edited by Kelly1180; 18th March 2018 at 02:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SensitiveFace View Post
    Hello,
    I have suffered from Rosacea for 25 years. I get the papules, and they were getting worse. I now have a clear face for the first time in all those years. Here is what I did...

1) I went to a new dermatologist who told me about Soolantra cream 1%. This cream kills the derma mites that live, then die in your pores. People with Rosacea can be sensitive to these mites and have an allergic reaction to the waste products from them. I applied it to the areas of break out for about 3 weeks before I noticed my face clearing up.

2) I stopped eating food triggers for break outs which include: hard, sharp cheeses, tomatoes, and any kind of pepper, and chocolate and wine! It is sad to have to give them up, but I finally figured out the triggers. I can eat mozzarella, and creamy non-sharp cheddar, cottage cheese, or other mild cheeses. Many spice mixes have black pepper or red pepper in them, so I had to stop using many of them.

3) I put the Soolantra on in the morning, then use Metronidazole Gel 1% at night. But, I had used the MetroGel before and it didn't work by itself, so I'm not sure it is helpful or not. I use Cetaphil gentle foaming cleanser to wash my face. Derma mites actually feed on the oil from your skin! So, cleaning is important. Don't use any cleansers that are harsh, or with perfumes or fragrances, or acids in them for rosacea. Hope this helps!
    Thanks for the reply Iím glad youíve found a good combo that works for your skin! Iíve been using the soolantra once a day just on my nose to see how Iíd react and within 2 days it was really itchy and I had about 3 Pimples. Would you say you experienced die off? Sometimes I think the bases that these prescriptions come in arenít very elegant lol I understand soolantra is in cetaphil cream, which has ingredients that can be aggravating.

Kelly how are you managing with the soolantra ?

Quote Originally Posted by Ashleyphil View Post
    Kelly how are you managing with the soolantra ?
    It didnít go so well, I tried a localized area where I donít have many bad reactions (my nose) and within two days I had a lot of itching and scaling patches. Iíve tried soolanta before for about a month and all it did was give me zits and make my flaking worse. It has parabens in it and other ingredients that I might not tolerate. I was actually going to try a cream called Ducray Kelual DS cream. The ingredients are Aqua, Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride, Cyclomethicone, Dicaprylyl Ether,Cetearyl Alcohol, Acetamide MEA, Glycolic Acid, Guandine Carbonate, Glyceryl Stearate, Plymethyl Methacrylate, Ceteareth-33, Crotamiton, Piroctone Olamine, Serenoa Serrulata fruit Extract (Serenoa Serrulata Extract), Tetrasodium EDTA
    Piroctine olamine is supposed to be antifungal and crotamiton is supposed to work on mites. But I really donít know. Itís worth a shot but Iíve tried so many things that end up not working. Really my skin looks the calmest when I donít use anything. But I fear that if I donít find a treatment it will just escalate over the years.

Default Update

So just a little update. I stopped using the Soolantra because itís just too irritating for me. Iíve used it for months continuously about a year ago and it didnít work for me then either. Iíve been experimenting with a product called Ducray Kelual DS cream and itís gotten rid of all of the flaking and inflammation I had in my eyebrows and significantly cut back on the flaking around my nose and mouth. The first couple of days it stung a tiny bit but now it doesnít. The product has an antifungal aspect and component that affects demodex. Another thing Iíve been doing is taking a lot better care of my teeth. I know that sounds weird but when I slack on my dental care, I notice my skin flares more? I donít use fluoride or sulfates in my dental care either because it exacerbates my perioral dermatitis. Lastly, Iíve been reducing most of my anxiety about my skin through my faith recently. I try to remind myself that Iíll have ups and downs. This skin affliction makes me a stronger individual and allows me to be more compassionate. If anyoneís interested, Iíll report back if the Ducray continues to help.

Quote Originally Posted by Kelly1180 View Post
    Hello,

I was wondering if anyone out there has tried soolantra with both seborrheic dermatitis and rosacea present? I have been told mild rosacea with an overlying yeast overgrowth as well as a perioral dermatitis component . I get a waxy coating in and behind my ears, a thick keratin/dead skin build up throughout the whole center of my face, and I do flush from time to time. I have about three little broken capillaries as well. Everything I try flares my face. If I remove the flakes I get these aggravated pimples. I've tried so many things, from diets to fancy face potions lol antifungals, antibacterial, you name it. I did try soolantra before but like I said, when I rub any type of cream on my skin it makes the pimples erupt! I also have a history of tinea versicolor. I practically just wash my face with distilled water every other day because tap water or washing more frequently makes it worse. Anyway, I'm extremely depressed over this. I've considered taking antidepressants but I'm scared they will make my skin worse. I'm supposed to get married this summer and am dreading the thought of walking down the aisle with everyone staring at my condition. Makeup is a no go because it just makes the flakes way more visible. I did get a skin biopsy once that just showed 1 demodex mite, which everyone has. I will also note that I do have GI issues (SIBO) that I've also tried treating with my GI doctor with little success. I'm just so done with this that I keep considering pulling out old prescriptions like Soolantra to see if maybe it will work this time. Sorry for the rant, I just really need help.bleh face .jpg here is a picture on an okay day. It doesn't show all the dead skin build up, but it is there. I have a very sandpaper-like texture to my skin. Its like each pore has a little flake/waxy plug.
    Hi Kelly1180,

When I visited the doctor who performed laser VBeam on my face for subtype 1 rosacea, she noted that I also had Seborrheic Dermatitis on my scalp, eyebrows, ears and forehead. I have been using Soolantra now for months and it has done wonders for my skin (I had no P&P's, just subtype 1). It does not appear to be aggravating my rosacea or Seb Derm at all. She had recommended that I wash my face, scalp, and ears 2 to 3x times weekly with a product called Stieprox (must be prescribed by a doctor or derm but is easy enough to get). It contains a yeast-fighting ingredient called Ciclopirox Olamine (1.5%) which acts against the Seb Derm. During my last trip to the pharmacy the bottle ran me about $38 CAD with no medical coverage and lasted me 3 months, as you only apply a pea-sized amount to those areas.

Stieprox eventually completely eliminated the Seb Derm flakes. I still continue to use it as directed in a preventative manner as I don't want these to return. The seb derm on my forehead wasn't too horrible, but the brows and ears were definitely a nuisance (extremely itchy), and my scalp was a nightmare.

There is a user on this forum who has been extremely helpful to me and is extremely knowledgeable about Seb Derm and Demodex: Tom Busby. He makes his own formulations which include Olamine and Climbazole to help fight Seb Derm and Demodex. He has even patented his formulation! He has provided great insight on these forums. It may be worth shooting him a message if you still feel like you're in the dark.

Lastly, I wanted to touch on the subject of the "waxy plug in every pore" and sandpapery skin issue. Myself, along with another user on this forum by the name of MissM, experienced this. It can be due to not washing one's face with soap. My basic understanding of it is that sebum builds up, which Demodex love to feed on, causes an overpopulation of the mite, aggravating Rosacea. My solution to this was:

1 - Wearing less makeup, I now apply less than a pea-sized amount and apply it to areas on my face which only really need it
    2 - The continued usage of Soolantra every night (named Rosiver in Canada)
    3 - Washing my face every night with lukewarm water and a very mild cleanser (CeraVe as suggested by Tom Busby)

With these steps, I've eliminated 90% of the waxy plugs. MissM has eliminated hers as well, you can find her original thread by searching: Default Pityriasis Folliculorum- white scales and dead skin build up due to Demodex in the forums.

Hope this information helps. Feel free to message me as well!

Wishing you all the best

*Edit: I now see you discontinued the use of Soolantra. Yes - there is definitely a die-off phase and irritation at the beginning. I still highly recommend Soolantra — just power through the irritation at first. It's TRULY worth it.