Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: pressure/swollen on face

Default pressure/swollen on face

Hi

This is my first post. Apparently I've had Rosacea my whole life and never knew it, although I've been to Dermatologist several times. The only symptoms I've had is a red face(I've always called it a ruddy complexion) and I have bumps on my chin that I've had probably since I was 20 years old. My chin sometimes itches when eat greasy foods, or any food that can get on my chin. No doctor has told me that was Rosacea. In fact they told me it was other things.

Here is what happened;

One year ago, almost to the day, I was planning my wedding. I kinda got obsessed with trying to get rid of my redness so I tried several face masks. I was real careful as to not over do it. They seemed to help, my face looked less red and felt good. Then one day, I decided to remove the rest of my face mask with Neutrogena makeup remover wipes. Big, big, big mistake!!! I instantly felt a burning on the left side of my face and it got bright red!! I didn't know what to do.
    Then the next day, I rode my bike and my face got redder than it ever has been in my life. I went to the dermatologist and she said, well your face isn't that red and stay away from makeup remover wipes ...(not a big help)she prescribed me a steroid, not sure if it was Mometasone Furoate or not, but eventually a doctor prescribed me that. That seemed to calm it down, but my skin kept burning. After my wedding, we went on our honeymoon to Puerto Rico, of course that didn't help matters. Because it was caused by a rash I kept thinking it would heal--I kept wanting the doctors to treat it as a rash that would eventually heal, and they kept telling me I have Rosacea and it is caused by bugs-unbelievable! I am still dealing with this 1 year later!!! (now of course I know one theory is that demodex can make Rosacea worse).

To make matters worse, a doctor prescribed me Sodium Sulfacetamide 10-% Sulfur 5% -and now my nose itches (inside)and is redder-and swear it has gotten bigger. They also kept pushing Soolantra on me, but I only tried it a couple of nights-just don't think I have that problem.

So here is what I'm dealing with now: face flushing (all over), pressure, pain and swelling on the left side of my face, (where I used the makeup remover) itching on my nose, chin and left side of face-allergy medicine helps with that-I just have to remember to take it. The right side of my face actually looks pretty good and doesn't have these problems.
    The face flushing is horrible! but at least I know what causes it-heat-from exercise, exertion, sun, moving around in a warm room and some wines. It is almost impossible to avoid those things as I work in a furniture store. Recently I've started to drink lots and lots of ice cold water. (about 100 oz)

But the pain and pressure on the left side of my face baffles me. It feels like someone's hand it on my face and pressing down. The pain can by on my jaw and cheek bone. Has anyone experienced this? It is very sensitive to touch so I do not rub my face anymore to remove makeup. I tried various over the counter-to no avail. Haven't seen a dermatologist in a while because-they are so hard to get an appointment with.

thank you in advance for any thoughts, comments.

Default Treatment for Swelling Associated with Rosacea

Yes I have experienced odd sensations, pressure, tingling, feeling like something is moving on my face and major swelling, that is worse on the right side of my face. In general, my face swells up when I am having a flare. A combination of Propanalol and Clonzepam are the only things that I have found that take the swelling and odd sensations away. Of course this is on a short-term basis, until the next flare.

Quote Originally Posted by Nataliecanteli View Post
    Yes I have experienced odd sensations, pressure, tingling, feeling like something is moving on my face and major swelling, that is worse on the right side of my face. In general, my face swells up when I am having a flare. A combination of Propanalol and Clonzepam are the only things that I have found that take the swelling and odd sensations away. Of course this is on a short-term basis, until the next flare.
    Thank you for your response. I will see my Primary physician in May, I will talk to her about it. For me, though, I get this feeling on and off throughout the day and night so not sure if that is going to work.

Quote Originally Posted by Scarlett Jones View Post
    Thank you for your response. I will see my Primary physician in May, I will talk to her about it. For me, though, I get this feeling on and off throughout the day and night so not sure if that is going to work.
    I've also had some success with clonazepam. I used to take it every night at a small dose for a year or so. I'm sort of surprised it's not talked about more often ; though I think docs are feeling a lot of pressure to limit benzo prescriptions now. It helped me get to sleep even if I was flushing/burning and it helped the following day as well. It helped with the flushing/burning even if it wasn't triggered by anxiey (like regular night flushing). It can be a muscle relaxant and help reduce pains/stiffness/spasms while also calming your nervous system ... A too high dose though -- and it would be very hard for me to wake up the next morning haha.

You can also take propranolol daily.

You'd know within a few days I think if either of these things are helpful. (Sometimes physicians give way.too.long. of a window to trial a drug in my opinion for flushing, burning, etc..)

Seems like you haven't tried any prescription meds yet for this -- there's a good chance you can find some things to help you but unfortunately it's trial and error with what helps you + what side effects you can tolerate, etc.

I am not sure, but it seems like you might have you might have overactive nerves on that one side of your face? It seems a peculiar description of rosacea when you say it feels like a pressing on your cheek ... unless the blood vessels are trying to expand outward, pressure from the leaky blood vessels, etc? I don't think it's uncommon though to have certain areas on the face that are more reactive than others

I do think it's odd for flushing/burning for your nose to be itching on the inside, particularly after the sulfur wash. I know there has been chatter about sometimes demodex to migrate from one area to another on this forum though ... perhaps something like that is happening? Though depending on which rx sulfur you used, it might have had irritating SLS in it ... One suggestion I guess - I do not have mite problems but I do find nasal saline rinses soothing for general winter dryness + I follow it up with a nasal gel.

best wishes
    Last edited by laser_cat; 20th March 2018 at 09:35 PM.

Thank you. Yes I agree it is odd. I thought I had inflammed nose hairs, but the doctor says no. I will try the nasal saline rinse and nasal gel. I think it was the grit in the sulfur wash that irritated my skin/nose. My doctor told me it was ok to use hydrocortisone 1% for my nose. This works, but only temporarily. My nose itching flares up for the same reasons my face burns- stress, heat. My doctor told me it was ok to use hydrocortisone 1% for my nose. This works, but only temporarily.
    I'm thinking of trying Sarna lotion for sensitive skin but am afraid of the menthol. I did not read much about that on this forum but it got good reviews, but for other things than rosacea.

A derm. prescribed me a antibiotic but I have acid reflux so I had to quit taking it. He told me not to take topical steroids anymore because it could cause bumps. They also told me to wash my ears with Head and Shoulders for seborrheic dermatitis for my ears which DOES work. He told me to wash my face with it, I didn't really notice a difference, but maybe it couldn't hurt to try it again.
    Today I took sinus medicine with two ibuprofen and it seemed to help with the pressure/pain but did not totally go away. I order some Eredicane today...not sure if it will work for rosacea, but I'm familiar with the ingredients, so hopefully it will at least help me sleep.
    I will talk to my doctor about clonidine and clonazepam, propanalol.

Quote Originally Posted by Nataliecanteli View Post
    You said you have these feelings when you have a flair. Does that include exercise? The reason I ask is because this swelling/pressure is worse in the AM. Iím trying to connect it to what I do in the morning: go outside and walk my dogs in very cold weather (I do wear a hat that covers my face), come in do some light exercises and stretching, then eat breakfast, which usually consists of s small amount of coffee. I start feeling the pressure when I exercise and directly afterwards so I donít think itís the coffee. Anyway I was just wondering if you knew what specifically caused it.

earlier I had pressure too, the person and finger-tips swelled, but a year ago I have ceased to have coffee, to take alcoholic drinks, and have refused sugar in any his manifestation. Now I feel much better. Try to change a way of life!

Default potato

I googled swollen face and came up with potato-so, of course I tried it-I kept the potato in the refrigerator so the cooling felt good-I held it on my cheekbone area for about 10 minutes, then I kinda rubbed it all over my face. (I peeled and sliced it) It did seem my check bone area looked smoother, so I'm willing to try it again, just not on my jawbone area. Anything around the lower jaw area-it is so sensitive that anything I do to it (touching, lotion, etc) can make it hurt to the point of throbbing and I have to take ibuprofen. When I put something cool on my jaw it masks the pain, but doesn't heal anything.

I tried Sarna lotion for itching, my chin, nose and cheekbone area itch. This works, but I have to keep reappying. I also tried Cerave, but it makes my face breakout. I use Clinique redness solution lotion and makeup and it doesn't make my face breakout. I had just been using it under my makeup, but maybe if I use it before I go to bed it will help with overall dryness and itching-it's expensive though.

This may not be too relatable to anyone here, but I went to my oncologist yesterday for a regular check up and asked her about clonazepam and clonidine, she said clonazepam was addictive and didn't seem like it would fit what I described and clonidine has a rebound effect. (but Rosacea is not her specialty)So she prescribed me gabapentin because I told here I think I have a nerve problem. I've actually tried this before for sleep and it only worked for a couple of days, but I didn't have these other problems then. Also since it has been 5 years since my breast cancer, she told me I can go off Tamoxifen and see if that helps with the flushing. She told me to wait a few weeks before taking the gabapentin to see if just going off Tamoxifen will help.

Still waiting until May to see my Primary doctor and I will talk to her about clonazepam and clonidine since it got such good review on the forum. Also going to ask for a referral for face pain doctor. In the meantime just "dealing" with it. This forum has been great-spend a lot of time here-and it feels good to "talk" to someone. I'm at the point where I think it is best just to leave my face alone. (except for cooling potato, cooling face mask) Also I am definitely going to give up coffee...this way I can see if I feel better before my mid-May appointment.....

Quote Originally Posted by Scarlett Jones View Post
    I googled swollen face and came up with potato-so, of course I tried it-I kept the potato in the refrigerator so the cooling felt good-I held it on my cheekbone area for about 10 minutes, then I kinda rubbed it all over my face. (I peeled and sliced it) It did seem my check bone area looked smoother, so I'm willing to try it again, just not on my jawbone area. Anything around the lower jaw area-it is so sensitive that anything I do to it (touching, lotion, etc) can make it hurt to the point of throbbing and I have to take ibuprofen. When I put something cool on my jaw it masks the pain, but doesn't heal anything.

I tried Sarna lotion for itching, my chin, nose and cheekbone area itch. This works, but I have to keep reappying. I also tried Cerave, but it makes my face breakout. I use Clinique redness solution lotion and makeup and it doesn't make my face breakout. I had just been using it under my makeup, but maybe if I use it before I go to bed it will help with overall dryness and itching-it's expensive though.

This may not be too relatable to anyone here, but I went to my oncologist yesterday for a regular check up and asked her about clonazepam and clonidine, she said clonazepam was addictive and didn't seem like it would fit what I described and clonidine has a rebound effect. (but Rosacea is not her specialty)So she prescribed me gabapentin because I told here I think I have a nerve problem. I've actually tried this before for sleep and it only worked for a couple of days, but I didn't have these other problems then. Also since it has been 5 years since my breast cancer, she told me I can go off Tamoxifen and see if that helps with the flushing. She told me to wait a few weeks before taking the gabapentin to see if just going off Tamoxifen will help.

Still waiting until May to see my Primary doctor and I will talk to her about clonazepam and clonidine since it got such good review on the forum. Also going to ask for a referral for face pain doctor. In the meantime just "dealing" with it. This forum has been great-spend a lot of time here-and it feels good to "talk" to someone. I'm at the point where I think it is best just to leave my face alone. (except for cooling potato, cooling face mask) Also I am definitely going to give up coffee...this way I can see if I feel better before my mid-May appointment.....
    That's crazy about the potato -- I'll keep that in the back of my mind! Glad you got some relief with it.

Yeah, I don't think any doctor would have known in advance clonazepam would have helped my flushing/burning. I was prescribed it for sleep (not specifically the flushing/burning). I think more and more, doctors in the US aren't keen on rx'ing benzo's. I think it helped to calm my overractive sympathetic nervous system so for me it really helped all my symptoms. It can be addictive so that's always a concern but I think it helped put a decent dent into my vicious flushing/burning cycle at the time. A derm told me once that if someone can interrupt the flushing/burning cycle for several months or so, then there's a good chance that the person will "forget" to flush/burn .. but that otherwise it can become a life force of its own, even if the underlying cause is gone. I think he's right.

Anyway, I wish you luck with the gabapentin! I think that one is first-line for nerve problems. I found I needed higher and higher doses for it to be effective and couldn't tolerate the cognitive impairment from it, but everyone's so different in how they respond, I hope you have a better response! Just fyi though I think lyrica (which is never really prescribed before gabapentin, I think) tends to be better than the gabapentin in terms of pain and side effect profile ... I had to "fail" gabapentin before my insurance covered lyrica (there's no generic yet).

I hope going off the tamoxifen is helpful. Maybe you won't even need drugs after that Keep us posted!

PS - Something that has helped me with nerve / burning pain - alpha lipoic acid. It did not help with redness and maybe it's tricky since it's a bit of a vasodilator... but I really think somehow it was helping heal my nerves somehow. For me this was actually better than gabapentin in calming nerves. best wishes
    Last edited by laser_cat; 24th April 2018 at 09:58 PM.

Default metrogel/doxy

Hi,

I went to my primary doctor.....we talked about clonidine, clonazepam, amitriptyline/ketamine ointment and oracea. She was going to prescribe me clonidine, but in the end we decided for me to try oracea first. BUT my insurance will not cover it. She ended up prescribing my 50 mg. of doxycycline hyclate. However, after doing research online about the difference between that and oracea, I don't think that is going to work for me. I just got my acid reflux under control, so I don't even want to try it because it could mess up my gut flora. I can appeal it with my insurance company if I want to, but they may "force me" to try the doxy first. I think what I'm going to do is see if she can prescribe me 20mg of the doxy for me to take twice a day. Has anyone tried that? From what I read, that does help with inflammation, but I really don't want the antibiotics part of it.
    I heard about metrogel, but I didn't pay any attention to it because I didn't think it would work for me, but now that I know that it is a antibiotic, I think it might work for me. I would like to read about it on this forum does anyone knows of a good thread to read about it? If I do decide to get it, I will try one or the other so I know which one is helping me. Years ago (and by years I mean about 30) my dermatologist prescribed me akne mycin and I do remember it soothing my chin, but my needs are different now. Not sure if metrogel is similar to akne mycin or not.
    My doctor said she would research the amitriptyline ointment and let me know when I see her again in 4 months. She would not prescribe me clonazepam-only for people with high anxiety.

For some reason, my flushing, odd sensations, etc has calmed down, especially the flushing. There are a couple of things that have changed in my life; one is I quit taking tamoxifen, which I've noticed a difference in other ways as well. I'm not walking my dogs in the freezing cold and then coming into the warm room. I'm avoiding the sun and strenuous exercise. I now use cotton wipes to remove my makeup as opposed to microfiber cloth. My diet is the same, in fact, it has gotten worse....eating everything.........I need to get that under control for general health reasons. My job stress level is still the same.