Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Cheap Effective Oral Treatment for Demodex Mites (rosacea, acne, blepharitis demodex)

Has anyone found success with this for seb derm as well as the rosacea? I have both, and actually am taking fluconazole right now, 200mg/day for 30 days (that's what the bottle says - but doc said 450 mg/once a week.., and I called today to clarify and they never called me back). But I am taking the fluconazole for chronic paronychia of my left big toenail. It's the first time I've had this but it came on gradually and has persisted almost 2 months, which fits the definition of chronic other than acute. I am hoping the fluconazole helps with my seb dermů but I doubt it. My rosacea is type 1/2....

Quote Originally Posted by aafdup View Post
    Has anyone found success with this for seb derm as well as the rosacea? I have both, and actually am taking fluconazole right now, 200mg/day for 30 days (that's what the bottle says - but doc said 450 mg/once a week.., and I called today to clarify and they never called me back). But I am taking the fluconazole for chronic paronychia of my left big toenail. It's the first time I've had this but it came on gradually and has persisted almost 2 months, which fits the definition of chronic other than acute. I am hoping the fluconazole helps with my seb dermů but I doubt it. My rosacea is type 1/2....
    The combined drug therapy has been shown in a medical study to be extremely effective against the demodex skin mite parasite commonly found in Rosacea I/II patients. Unfortunately, this particular treatment is not likely to help the fungal infection that causes SD.

2 over the counter topical remedies that can help kill fungal infections are borax and apple cider vinegar. You can try washing both face and hair with the borax shampoo followed by rinsing with the diluted solution of apple cider vinegar. DO NOT get the apple cider vinegar rinse in your eyes, it stings - rinse with cold water immediately if this happens.
    Recipes for both are here:

https://rosaceagroup.org/The_Rosacea...=Borax+Shampoo

Update: No big changes after 11 days... wonder whats going on... no die-off to speak of

Default Beginning Week 2 of combined regimen

Yesterday I took the second dose of oral ivermectin--it really makes me sleepy. Today I feel fine, on day 8 of the metronidazole with few side effects other than mild heartburn, slight shortness of breath, and very mild GI upset. No nausea or major headaches, so I'm grateful for that! I do notice that I have more saliva than usual, and that very faint metallic taste in my mouth (ah, antibiotics, so glamorous).

As for my skin, I experienced a slight worsening of symptoms last week--more pustules and redness than usual, with slight desquamation (flaking) of the skin. I've upped my moisturizing game during this treatment. This week I've noticed that my skin is much smoother (the diffuse and pinpoint redness of type II remains)--the P&P are very much improved. This makes sense as metro has a strong anti-inflammatory effect. The real test will be after next week when I've stopped the metro--will my symptoms return with a vengeance? Or will I see lasting improvement as Elaine has? I'm very curious to see what happens. It's nice to have smoother skin for once, I am enjoying every moment of it!

Other things I'm doing simultaneously (note: none of these previously had much of an effect):
    Sulfacetamide/Sulfur wash
    Azaleic acid 15%
    Lutein supplement
    5-HTP supplement
    Probiotic in the evening (I take metro in the morning)

La Roche Posay Toleriane moisturizer
    Rose hip oil
    Bare Minerals makeup

Quote Originally Posted by eringael View Post
    Yesterday I took the second dose of oral ivermectin--it really makes me sleepy. Today I feel fine, on day 8 of the metronidazole with few side effects other than mild heartburn, slight shortness of breath, and very mild GI upset. No nausea or major headaches, so I'm grateful for that! I do notice that I have more saliva than usual, and that very faint metallic taste in my mouth (ah, antibiotics, so glamorous).

As for my skin, I experienced a slight worsening of symptoms last week--more pustules and redness than usual, with slight desquamation (flaking) of the skin. I've upped my moisturizing game during this treatment. This week I've noticed that my skin is much smoother (the diffuse and pinpoint redness of type II remains)--the P&P are very much improved. This makes sense as metro has a strong anti-inflammatory effect. The real test will be after next week when I've stopped the metro--will my symptoms return with a vengeance? Or will I see lasting improvement as Elaine has? I'm very curious to see what happens. It's nice to have smoother skin for once, I am enjoying every moment of it!

Other things I'm doing simultaneously (note: none of these previously had much of an effect):
    Sulfacetamide/Sulfur wash
    Azaleic acid 15%
    Lutein supplement
    5-HTP supplement
    Probiotic in the evening (I take metro in the morning)

La Roche Posay Toleriane moisturizer
    Rose hip oil
    Bare Minerals makeup
    Sounds like you are making progress! You will see die offs during this treatment - that may vary for individuals with different levels of demodex infestation. Die offs are a good sign, that means that its working! There may still be a few die offs after the last tablet. The medication is still in your system for a few days after the last tablet. Its important to complete the treatment to kill off any demodex eggs that hatch after the first batch of adults died.

A good skin cleansing and moisturizing regimen is definitely a good idea. I take probiotics and the lutein is now in my AREDS-2 multi-vitamin. Supporting your immune system and general health is an excellent idea. Demodex seem to get overpopulated when the immune system is low due to illness or poor health.

I'm still clear 16+ months post combined oral drug treatment.

Hope the success continues. Please let us know how it turns out for you.

Default Two week progress on oral metronidazole/oral ivermectin

Quote Originally Posted by ElaineA View Post
    Sounds like you are making progress! You will see die offs during this treatment - that may vary for individuals with different levels of demodex infestation. Die offs are a good sign, that means that its working! There may still be a few die offs after the last tablet. The medication is still in your system for a few days after the last tablet. Its important to complete the treatment to kill off any demodex eggs that hatch after the first batch of adults died.

A good skin cleansing and moisturizing regimen is definitely a good idea. I take probiotics and the lutein is now in my AREDS-2 multi-vitamin. Supporting your immune system and general health is an excellent idea. Demodex seem to get overpopulated when the immune system is low due to illness or poor health.

I'm still clear 16+ months post combined oral drug treatment.

Hope the success continues. Please let us know how it turns out for you.
    Hi Elaine, I am nearly halfway through my treatment and have seen the more progress in these two weeks than in nearly three years of trying everything else possible and seeing no improvement whatsoever.

I wanted to share a picture--not sure if this will work but here goes:
    CAD64F63-87F3-4D38-9E90-DD7B22CA8251.jpg

Bottom left: March 10, the day I started the Autoimmune Protocol (very strict elimination diet with zero grains, legumes, seeds, sugar, or dairy). Bottom middle: May 15, two months of extreme elimination diet. Bottom right: June 2, one week on oral metronidazole (you can see things got worse in the first week--this was my die-off, which was no worse than my original condition but was still pretty awful). Top: two weeks on oral metronidazole. My skin is smooth for the first time in three years and the redness has decreased a LOT.

Obviously, no filters here or makeup. My skin barrier has shown remarkable improvement and P&Ps are almost completely gone, whereas for the last three years they've been steadily worsening to the point of the picture on the lower left.

Two weeks to go (two more 12 mg doses of ivermectin). I'm praying that the reduction in inflammation continues. I nearly feel like a human being again.
    Last edited by eringael; 10th June 2019 at 02:26 AM.

I believe this study (Ivermectin therapy for papulopustular rosacea and periorificial dermatitis in children: A series of 15 cases) might be of interest to people in this thread.

There are a few photos in it that you can expand to get a better view -- the top row is of a boy with rosacea who took a single dose of ivermectin, 250 μg/kg. Even 4 weeks after the dose, you can see noticeably increased flaking and inflammation -- indicating a die-off -- but by 4 months after there are no longer any visible signs of rosacea. I find this particularly interesting since it shows the miticidal effect of oral ivermectin can be quite delayed -- I would have expected something more immediate, resulting in a die-off that would materialise and resolve within 1-2 weeks after the dose.

Generally, it does seem that spacing out ivermectin doses weekly, and doing 2-4 doses in total, is more sensible to be able to kill off the offspring that hatch later, although if ivermectin's effect is delayed that may or may not be so essential. Better to err on the side of caution, of course, given ivermectin's good safety profile.

Eringael, the update and photos are much appreciated, and your results after 2 weeks already very promising!

Quote Originally Posted by eringael View Post
    Hi Elaine, I am nearly halfway through my treatment and have seen the more progress in these two weeks than in nearly three years of trying everything else possible and seeing no improvement whatsoever.

I wanted to share a picture--not sure if this will work but here goes:
    CAD64F63-87F3-4D38-9E90-DD7B22CA8251.jpg

Bottom left: March 10, the day I started the Autoimmune Protocol (very strict elimination diet with zero grains, legumes, seeds, sugar, or dairy). Bottom middle: May 15, two months of extreme elimination diet. Bottom right: June 2, one week on oral metronidazole (you can see things got worse in the first week--this was my die-off, which was no worse than my original condition but was still pretty awful). Top: two weeks on oral metronidazole. My skin is smooth for the first time in three years and the redness has decreased a LOT.

Obviously, no filters here or makeup. My skin barrier has shown remarkable improvement and P&Ps are almost completely gone, whereas for the last three years they've been steadily worsening to the point of the picture on the lower left.

Two weeks to go (two more 12 mg doses of ivermectin). I'm praying that the reduction in inflammation continues. I nearly feel like a human being again.
    Awesome! I am so happy for you!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by sejon View Post
    I believe this study (Ivermectin therapy for papulopustular rosacea and periorificial dermatitis in children: A series of 15 cases) might be of interest to people in this thread.

There are a few photos in it that you can expand to get a better view -- the top row is of a boy with rosacea who took a single dose of ivermectin, 250 μg/kg. Even 4 weeks after the dose, you can see noticeably increased flaking and inflammation -- indicating a die-off -- but by 4 months after there are no longer any visible signs of rosacea. I find this particularly interesting since it shows the miticidal effect of oral ivermectin can be quite delayed -- I would have expected something more immediate, resulting in a die-off that would materialise and resolve within 1-2 weeks after the dose.

Generally, it does seem that spacing out ivermectin doses weekly, and doing 2-4 doses in total, is more sensible to be able to kill off the offspring that hatch later, although if ivermectin's effect is delayed that may or may not be so essential. Better to err on the side of caution, of course, given ivermectin's good safety profile.

Eringael, the update and photos are much appreciated, and your results after 2 weeks already very promising!
    Thanks for posting this medical study. It is really interesting! Hopefully more dermatologists are getting educated about the effectiveness of using both topical or oral ivermectin as well as the combined oral ivermectin + oral metronidazole treatments for demodex.