Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Cheap Effective Oral Treatment for Demodex Mites (rosacea, acne, blepharitis demodex)

Quote Originally Posted by eringael View Post
    Hi everyone,
    Thanks to ElaineA's many posts about this treatment, I was able to convince my dermatologist to give it a go. I took my first dose of oral ivermectin today and will pick up the oral metro tomorrow to begin a 2-week course. I admit I am nervous about side effects, as both my doc and the pharmacist warned me that I could have bad headaches and GI issues from this regimen. I've had such terrible type 2 symptoms for over two years now, with no relief from diet changes, antibiotics, or topicals, that I'm willing to at least try this for the next 2-4 weeks (my ivermectin prescription is for one 12 mg dose every week for 4 weeks) and see if it works. If it does nothing I will be no worse off, and it seems based on the study ElaineA posted that it's at least possible that it could have some effect.

I will keep you all posted with my progress. Those of you who are also undergoing this treatment, please keep sharing your experiences as well!

Thanks everyone!
    Thats double the ivermectin dose! Good for you! And good luck

Quote Originally Posted by rednessator View Post
    Thats double the ivermectin dose! Good for you! And good luck
    Some people may need to take more than 12mg if they have a higher body weight, though I agree the protocol is supposed to be taking ivermectin twice not four times.

Hi everyone,
    Thanks to ElaineA's many posts about this treatment, I was able to convince my dermatologist to give it a go. I took my first dose of oral ivermectin today and will pick up the oral metro tomorrow to begin a 2-week course. I admit I am nervous about side effects, as both my doc and the pharmacist warned me that I could have bad headaches and GI issues from this regimen. I've had such terrible type 2 symptoms for over two years now, with no relief from diet changes, antibiotics, or topicals, that I'm willing to at least try this for the next 2-4 weeks (my ivermectin prescription is for one 12 mg dose every week for 4 weeks) and see if it works. If it does nothing I will be no worse off, and it seems based on the study ElaineA posted that it's at least possible that it could have some effect.

I will keep you all posted with my progress. Those of you who are also undergoing this treatment, please keep sharing your experiences as well!

Thanks everyone!
    Good Luck! I hope this works for you as well as it worked for me!!! Please do keep us posted on the results. Like you, I hope that everyone else undergoing this treatment will keep sharing their experiences.

Make sure you take the oral Metronidazole after eating. I took it after eating and didn't have any side effects with it.

Default Day 1!!!

Quote Originally Posted by ElaineA View Post
    Good Luck! I hope this works for you as well as it worked for me!!! Please do keep us posted on the results. Like you, I hope that everyone else undergoing this treatment will keep sharing their experiences.

Make sure you take the oral Metronidazole after eating. I took it after eating and didn't have any side effects with it.
    I can't tell you how helpful it's been reading your posts, ElaineA! Especially this thread, as I don't believe you mentioned your die-off expereince elsewhere. It's good to be prepared for that

I definitely got sleepy yesterday after taking the first ivermectin dose.

4 weeks of ivermectin seems to be the standard here in the U.S.-- and oddly my derm prescribed oral metro 500 mg once per day (rather than 250 mg three times a day)--so it's a longer course of ivermectin and a lower dose of metro. Since I don't have ocular involvement (other than occasional itchy/stinging eyes), I'm hoping this will still be enough. Some treatment regimens with metro are much much longer (4 weeks or more). I will definitely take with food!

How is everybody else doing?

I can't tell you how helpful it's been reading your posts, ElaineA! Especially this thread, as I don't believe you mentioned your die-off expereince elsewhere. It's good to be prepared for that

I definitely got sleepy yesterday after taking the first ivermectin dose.

4 weeks of ivermectin seems to be the standard here in the U.S.-- and oddly my derm prescribed oral metro 500 mg once per day (rather than 250 mg three times a day)--so it's a longer course of ivermectin and a lower dose of metro. Since I don't have ocular involvement (other than occasional itchy/stinging eyes), I'm hoping this will still be enough. Some treatment regimens with metro are much much longer (4 weeks or more). I will definitely take with food!

How is everybody else doing?
    I'm so glad that the posts have helped you! My goal in posting was to make sure that everybody with demodex got word of the oral treatment. And to help get the word out to doctors who weren't very familiar with demodex. The docs need to know that there is a really good, inexpensive treatment available that has been proven to work on demodex.

Its good that your derm prescribed the drugs. The protocol may be a bit different based on their own experience or training. Some of the medical papers that I've read prescribe the drugs a little differently on dosage or duration, so that isn't surprising.

During treatments, die offs are good! Die offs mean the mites are dying. So don't be alarmed if that happens! Its a good thing. Once they are all dead, your skin should be much, much clearer. It just requires a little patience with the process to reach that goal.

Best of luck! And let us know how it goes for you.

how do you know that Demodex could be the issue? Do I ask my doctor for a test? Do you just give it a shot? Thought of having to convince my doc or derm to have this prescribed is a bit overwhelming :S

Quote Originally Posted by opare View Post
    how do you know that Demodex could be the issue? Do I ask my doctor for a test? Do you just give it a shot? Thought of having to convince my doc or derm to have this prescribed is a bit overwhelming :S
    For me this was a process of elimination. Most docs/derms will not test for demodex; mine would not as she said that everyone has them so the counts don't mean much. However, clinically the presentation of my symptoms looks like demodex, and as I said in an earlier post I've failed all the usual topicals as well as tetracycline antibiotics. My insurance doesn't cover Soolantra, and since this treatment is so cheap and relatively low-risk, my derm was willing to prescribe it. She says if I have no improvement we can talk next about low-dose isotrentinoin. In a sense this treatment is its own form of diagnosis: if we see improvement then we'll know there was a demodex issue, and if not then I can move on to other strategies.

Noticing a slight headache this afternoon after my 1st dose of metro. That is one bitter pill! :\

Quote Originally Posted by opare View Post
    Yes, you can be tested for demodex. There are several different ways they can test your skin or eyes for demodex folliucularum (the longer species of demodex mites):

The doctor has to collect a sample. They put the sample on a slide and look at it under a microscope. They then attempt to count the demodex mites on the slide. Counting the mites is tricky since they do not like light and try to crawl to the edge of the slide.

Dermatologists collect skin samples using one of the following methods:
    Method 1: Do a light skin scraping to collect a skin sample.
    Method 2: Place a drop of cyanoacrylic adhesive on a microscope slide, apply the sticky side to the skin for one minute. After the adhesive is dry the slide is gently removed.
    Method 3: Dermatologist extracts a blackhead from the patient's skin. Sample is then placed on the slide for examination.

To diagnose patients with ocular rosacea (i.e. Blepharitis Demodex), Opthalmologists will pull out an eye lash or two for examination under the microscope.

Demodex brevis are the shorter species of mites that live down in the oil glands. Brevis can be more difficult to diagnose since they live deeper in the skin. Brevis diagnosis is generally done visually looking for common symptoms that indicate a mite over-population.

The following video on demodex mites shows how a researcher does the cyanoacrylic method to collect a mite sample:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YW2eGaUzq7E
    Last edited by ElaineA; 29th May 2019 at 02:34 AM.

After 4 days:
    -one pustule first day, but doubt this is due to demodex (too fast?)
    -eyes are getting drier and redder
    -redder nose
    -feeling colder and more tired

EDIT:
    -I also woke up from eyes flooding of water two days ago! This has happened to me before when treating eyes for demodex with Soolantra and PO (Tomís cream), and Tom also described this happening to him.
    Last edited by rednessator; 29th May 2019 at 09:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by rednessator View Post
    After 4 days:
    -one pustule first day, but doubt this is due to demodex (too fast?)
    -eyes are getting drier and redder
    -redder nose
    -feeling colder and more tired

EDIT:
    -I also woke up from eyes flooding of water two days ago! This has happened to me before when treating eyes for demodex with Soolantra and PO (Tomís cream), and Tom also described this happening to him.
    Interesting that your eyes were flooding. Demodex can clog up the meibomian glands which reduces the oily tear film. That can lead to the feeling of severe dryness. I got a Thermalon Dry Eye Moist Heat Compress that you can put in the microwave for 10-20 seconds to heat it up. It can really help unclog the openings to those glands.

https://www.walgreens.com/store/c/th...142973-product