Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: flushing every day - tried everything!!!

Default flushing every day - tried everything!!!

Feels like ive tried EVERYTHING.

28 male started to notice i was flushing 4 years ago. so now my skin colour has changed - my baseline is pretty red and i flush with everything (social situations, change of temp, exercise you name it i flush).

Ive been on the forum for a while without posting and have been trying everything from supplements to so many different creams and various prescription drugs. (clonidine and propanal for about 18 months, solantra i could go on and on)

ive had all my blood tests done and seen countless, useless derms which all turned out to be pretty useless.

Without boring everyone, does anybody have any suggestions on what to do? feels like laser is the only option?

ive inclosed some pics. ive also got a permanent rash on my neck that seems to become more prominent when i get hot.

IMG_2602.jpgIMG_2605.jpgIMG_7827.jpg

Thank you so much in advance if you have any suggestions on what to do. i think this is a issue that seems to affect so many people and from what ive seen is extremely difficult to put a dent in.

It is not bad yet, rosy cheeks so far, and I know for you it looks worse than it is.

What I do and fail to do

Diet: I should avoid alcohol, tea, coffee and sugar. Of course, I fail a lot of the time, especially with tea, but I have noticed over time that avoiding these things helps considerably. I drink tea far too regularly, and I have sugar in tea so really I need to replace it with water, but that is hard to do. I do not eat chocolate and sweets. Alcohol I drink once every two weeks or so. And with alcohol I try to keep it a bitter drink with minimal sugar. I find also an empty stomach can bring on redness, so eating unprocessed foods can help keep the digestive system busy. I avoid spicy foods and stick to simple stuff. Steaks, fish, potatoes, peas, broccoli, I am sure you get the idea. I avoid sodas, and fast food.

Treatments: I have had in the recent past long term use of antibiotics which helped but this can make the digestive system unsettled in the long term also. I am not currently using antibiotics and the redness returns after a time but I also found antibiotics did not get rid of the redness entirely, but did make it much more bearable. I tried a couple of times a week using a sodium bicarbonate paste on my face for 5 minutes before washing it off which makes my face redder on the day I do it, but does reduce my face of redness for the next day or two. However, this cannot be done daily as it may damage the skin, but twice a week I think will not be a problem. I have also found soolantra (ivermectin) as a cream was extremely good after using for a few weeks. But to be honest, the damage was done a long time ago with strong outbursts of redness in my early 30s and it has become permanent. I manage the level of redness now, that is all that can be done outside destroying the blood vessels. My doctor is skeptical that laser treatment is effective and has discouraged me from trying it. I have read mixed reports, some people are happy with the results, some not, so it is an expensive experiment compared to the treatments I can get from my doctor. I may one day try laser treatment but as of now have no plans to.

Given what I see of your face, try the various things I have tried. But do not mess with your skin too much as you could just make things worse. The first thing you should try is a change in diet. Less processed food, reduce alcohol, tea, coffee, and sugar consumption. Try this for a month, and see if there is any improvement. If not, then I would still keep this kind of diet or hold to it as much as you can with some occasional failures, and go to the doctor for a 6 month course of antibiotics, and perhaps some ivermectin cream as well so you are fighting it from the inside and the outside.

Oh there is one further thing I am considering and that is glucosamine as a dietary supplement. I have read it interferes somewhat in the glucose cycle, and I know it helps with epithelial tissue as it is a supplement that helps the treatment of cystitis. I know it seems unrelated but facial skin is still skin, and given that glucosamine interferes with the glucose cycle it may help regarding sugar and its effects on rosacea. So, that is the next thing to try. But for me, antibiotics and ivermectin were very effective medical treatments at controlling and reducing redness.

Perhaps others can provide different suggestions.
    Last edited by zog; 27th February 2018 at 12:25 PM.

Firstly thank you for your reply and your suggestions! Much appreciated. I honestly think getting information on this forum actually outweighs derms advice and my gps who really dont have a clue when it comes to this condition. Most derms i have seen have just said theres nothing we can do and sort of just shrug and say get on with it.

in regards to your suggestions i completely agree with them. Re less processed foods, no coffee etc. Reading around the subject years ago this was one of the first things i tried. i LOVE coffee but have not had a cup in years. Love tea - havent had a cup in years (i just drink green tea as apparently it helps but havent noticed anything) ive cut out processed food and eat relatively well, always have though to be honest. i drink alot of water aswell, have virtually no sugar and basically cut out alcohol the past year so i would say diet shouldn't be an issue, although i wish it was! ha

id be a bit sceptical a bout returning to antibiotics just because of the link with Rosacea and gut problems. i was put on some initially 3 or so years ago but didn't notice anything. i am also taking pro biotics and l -glutamine to see if i can improve my gut health. solantra unfortunately didnt seem to have an affect on my skin. i used it for around 6 months a year or so ago without any affect. ive actually just bought some zz cream as ive seen some others on the forum have success with the stuff. i have my doubts though as it seems to help people with more p&P to which i have none. ive also in the last few weeks started to mix tee tree oil into my moisturiser to see if that would lead to a reduction in my redness but none as of yet.

glucosamine sounds interesting and its a supplement I havent tried! which is saying something! ill be sure to look into it. im still leaning towards laser as i just feel like this has impacted my life for four years now. work, social situations, relationships everything has suffered. im sure there is stuff out there that can help but who knows it could be 10 years down the line before i find something that actually works for me. if laser can atleat give me some short term relief i would that right now i think.

Thanks again for insight much appreciated!

I started flushing a lot about 10 years ago. My face was always hot to the touch but I've managed to get the flushes under control more recently.

I should also note that my doctors have not been particularly helpful, and seem to only want to control the symptoms by providing me drugs. This "throw a plate of spaghetti at the wall and see what sticks" really annoyed me as I said from the very start to ym doctors that I want to get to the causes.

This fell on deaf ears.

Anyway, I gave up caffeine in 2012. Completely.
    I also gave up processed sugar, and avoided salt and white flour.

I stopped smoking tobacco in 2012, and gave up cannabis in 2016.

In 2016 I started taking SSRIs, which may or may not be helping.

Biggest of all for me is that I began keeping a food diary, as I often noticed that I would flush more after eating a meal, especially if it contained tomato.

I mentioned this to my doctors but it was ignored.

I kept a food diary and discovered that certain foods caused hot flushes, including, as mentioned, tomato as well as white potatoes, spinach, red grapes and shellfish.

A few months ago I gave up dairy and swapped it for almond milk, cashew milk and coconut milk.

Apparently, you can develop food intolerances at any time in your life for a number of reasons. I did have the unfortunate experience of living with some stressful people and having unpleasant neighbours, which went on for some time and caused lots of anger and resentment.

I now meditate daily, which helps a lot.

Later I began taking propanolol, as this slows down the heart beat slightly and relieves anxiety.

Alcohol I rarely drink now, and I am actually happier for it.

You might want to get some tinted moisturiser as this can conseal redness and boost your confidence in social situations.

As a bonus, consider taking turmeric every day as this is an anti-inflammatory and good for the gut. Facial redness is often attributed to gut health.

Most nights, I mix turmeric with honey and wear it as a face mask for a few hours, which I gently wash off later that night. I clean the residue off face with coconut oil, then wash again and apply E45 lotion to the face while still wet.

You might want to start wearing Bio-Oil too, but it's advised not to go out in the sun with this on your face.

Finally, be sure to wear a good quality cosmetic sunscreen all year round if out in the daylight.
    Last edited by darren1; 27th February 2018 at 03:43 PM.
    I'm recovering from Mirvaso-induced skin damage. Ask me about it if you are too.

• Read about my PDL and IPL, with videos.

Quote Originally Posted by joeychaps123 View Post

28 male started to notice i was flushing 4 years ago. so now my skin colour has changed - my baseline is pretty red and i flush with everything (social situations, change of temp, exercise you name it i flush).

Ive been on the forum for a while without posting and have been trying everything from supplements to so many different creams and various prescription drugs. (clonidine and propanal for about 18 months, solantra i could go on and on)

ive had all my blood tests done and seen countless, useless derms which all turned out to be pretty useless.

Without boring everyone, does anybody have any suggestions on what to do? feels like laser is the only option?

ive inclosed some pics. ive also got a permanent rash on my neck that seems to become more prominent when i get hot.

Thank you so much in advance if you have any suggestions on what to do. i think this is a issue that seems to affect so many people and from what ive seen is extremely difficult to put a dent in.
    You say you flush with everything, do you flush when you go to sleep (heat build up from head on pillow etc). I thought everyone with type 1 Rosacea would have this problem but I'm pretty amazed at how rare this is.

I have had really good results with Vbeam Perfecta (non bruising). I started getting treatments about 3 years ago.. Probably 5 or 6 total. I did my research and found a highly recomended dermatoligst who personally does all laser work himself (as opposed to a laser tech) My dermatologist told me that laser was really my best option seeing as I had so many broken/permanately damaged blood vessels. Creams, pills etc can't really repair what's already broken. Made sense to me.

Like you, I had tried many creams, prescriptions, cutting coffee.. nothing really worked.

My baseline flushing looked very simlar to yours but when I flushed, it was bad! To the point where it looked like I needed to go the the ER. Like you, social situations were the worst!

Anyway, the Vbream treatment brought my flusing way down. I still have some baseline redness but it doesn't really bother me anymore. I still get red sometimes but it's nothing like what I used to experience. I can walk into a social situation (dinner, work meeting, church) without the constant fear that a full on flush is going to happen.

I hope this help. Let me know if you have any quesitons.

Hello mate,

SSRI's allow me to completely control the flushing. It's the only thing which ever worked for me, and in the 20 years i've been flushing I must have tried over 1000 products, methods and practices. Beta blockers technically worked as well, but only for a very short period of time and I hated the side effects.

What's even better is that i've halved the dose and its still effective, so now 37.mg Venlafaxine three times a day covers me. Rather than a cure, its best think about it in terms of it covers you for a few hours after ingestion.

Always consult a doctor before taking any kind of medication.

Quote Originally Posted by joeychaps123 View Post

I started flushing since 15 now 62 male, tried everything to no avail, then i found out that niacin b3 induces massive flushes. So my logic was fight fire w fire now i only flush when take niacin, lasts about 90 mins, reasearch niacin but start low dose.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by 572emm85 View Post
    I started flushing since 15 now 62 male, tried everything to no avail, then i found out that niacin b3 induces massive flushes. So my logic was fight fire w fire now i only flush when take niacin, lasts about 90 mins, reasearch niacin but start low dose.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk
    So basically you have some kind of "positive Rebound effect" when using Niacin? You get red for some time after taking it and then get more pale than before? Interesting observation. Do you have some more information on the concentrations and the time when you are using the Niacin?

Do SSRIs or Beta Blockers help with flushing induced by heat and/or exercise?