Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Agnus Castus

Gina - I also lost my period at 25 as well as a lot of weight. It turned out to be hyperthyroidism. Period did not come back after thyroid normalized, so doctors put me on birth control. Tried Yasmin and several others which made me feel horrible. Synthetic birth control has super high estrogen and little to no progesterone to balance it out. Our bodies in a normal state do not need those high estrogen doses, particularly ingested by the digestive tract and processed by the liver.

The only thing that helped me regulate and feel normal were bio identical hormones that are lower doses and absorbed via the skin.

Would recommend discussing with a hormone expert rather than a dermatologist.

Laser Cat - I canít say I feel that ovulation surge that you describe, albeit I am not a typical case. I became aneroxic in my 30s, and after I recovered to a normal weight at the age of 40, it was time for peri menopause. I stopped my bio identical hormones after I recovered, and my body/hormones gave a good try to regulate themselves, but in the end it just didnít happen and peri menopause struck. The bio identical hormones keep me regular, though Iím pretty sure I donít ovulate very often. So, im not the best person to provide guidance!

Quote Originally Posted by sg321 View Post

Laser Cat - I canít say I feel that ovulation surge that you describe, albeit I am not a typical case. I became aneroxic in my 30s, and after I recovered to a normal weight at the age of 40, it was time for peri menopause. I stopped my bio identical hormones after I recovered, and my body/hormones gave a good try to regulate themselves, but in the end it just didnít happen and peri menopause struck. The bio identical hormones keep me regular, though Iím pretty sure I donít ovulate very often. So, im not the best person to provide guidance!
    Can I ask what kind of doctor you saw to deal with hormones (are you in US)? I'm having a lot of trouble finding someone who knows about hormones + the nuances, who is familiar with bioidentical, etc. I've struck out with fertility MD's, obgyns, my PCP, an endo, 2 derms, ... I guess my next step would be a naturopath??

Thank you for your response about the ovulation surge (or lack of it!)

On sort of a side note, I'm very glad you were able to recover from your anorexia.

Quote Originally Posted by laser_cat View Post
    Can I ask what kind of doctor you saw to deal with hormones (are you in US)? I'm having a lot of trouble finding someone who knows about hormones + the nuances, who is familiar with bioidentical, etc. I've struck out with fertility MD's, obgyns, my PCP, an endo, 2 derms, ... I guess my next step would be a naturopath??

A functional medicine doctor is likely your best bet. They are MDs, but offer natural treatments and can prescribe drugs if necessary. Naturopaths cannot prescribe drugs, so they may give you herbs/supplements, but are cheaper than the functional docs. Both will offer extensive testing. My understanding is that urine and saliva tests are best for hormones, and that blood hormone tests are inaccurate.

On sort of a side note, I'm very glad you were able to recover from your anorexia.
    Thank you! Iím glad too. I got a life back for a few years, then rosacea struck and everything has gone downhill since, unfortunately.

Thank you! I’m glad too. I got a life back for a few years, then rosacea struck and everything has gone downhill since, unfortunately.
    Yes, I have a similar experience :/ Had a life for a few years ... then bam. Maybe it's karma or something - I spent so many years being reclusive + such due to eating disorder stuff, ... and now I seem to burn like crazy every time I leave my home haha arggh!

It's getting a bit better though, the burning + flushing (knock on wood!) -- esp. since I added mirtazapine to my effexor -- but progress is slow

I wonder how I'd be faring now if I never had an eating disorder but perhaps that is just my way of wanting to punish myself ... and there's really no point in even going there XX

Thanks for the functional doc info.

Yes, I have a similar experience :/ Had a life for a few years ... then bam. Maybe it's karma or something - I spent so many years being reclusive + such due to eating disorder stuff, ... and now I seem to burn like crazy every time I leave my home haha arggh!

It's getting a bit better though, the burning + flushing (knock on wood!) -- esp. since I added mirtazapine to my effexor -- but progress is slow

I wonder how I'd be faring now if I never had an eating disorder but perhaps that is just my way of wanting to punish myself ... and there's really no point in even going there XX

Karma is a b***h! I seemed to finally have everything sorted in my life after going through some tough times in my personal life and working really hard to get where I wanted and then was hit with this crap. This really troubled me for the first few years as I felt so hard done by, like the life I'd worked so hard for had been taken from me. But I'm grateful that I feel far more positive these days (antidepressants certainly help!), I try not to think about the life I would have had and live with this condition as best I can I'm glad to hear mitazipine is helping you. I hope you'll continue to see improvements the longer you are on it.

Sent from my SM-G850F using Tapatalk

Gina - I also lost my period at 25 as well as a lot of weight. It turned out to be hyperthyroidism. Period did not come back after thyroid normalized, so doctors put me on birth control. Tried Yasmin and several others which made me feel horrible. Synthetic birth control has super high estrogen and little to no progesterone to balance it out. Our bodies in a normal state do not need those high estrogen doses, particularly ingested by the digestive tract and processed by the liver.

The only thing that helped me regulate and feel normal were bio identical hormones that are lower doses and absorbed via the skin.

It is so interesting that all of us seem to have a weight issue. I am very happy for you that you have recovered from your anorexia, but could that have been the cause? People keep telling me my low weight could be a factor. I understand what you mean about the Yasmin, I really don't want to be on it, but when I last saw my dermatologist he said it may help with my hair and also acne. I suffered with hormonal chin painful cysts and have suffered with hair loss. If the hair loss is testosterone related then the Yasmin helps to stop that. I am terrified about coming off it? How did you do that? As I have heard of people having a sudden surge of acne when they come off it? I do think my hair loss may be related more to my low iron, for some reason (even on 3 ferroglobin a day, I can't absorb iron). What is wrong with me and my body??

I feel your pain. I hope you are recovering well from your eating disorder. I just wonder if it has something to do with rosacea, as we all seem to have a low weight and flush terribly...also is your estrogen very low?

Alos, regarding your adrenaline message, I can't say I know to be honest. I tend to flush randomly sometimes. One cheek flushed over supper last night really badly, and I can't think what caused it as I have eaten most of that food before. perhaps the heat of the food... But when I get anxious, put on the spot, or embarrassed I flush (I guess that is adrenaline)?? If your rosacea is histamine related, montelukast could work maybe xx

Just throwing something out there -

Women can have hormonal acne even though their androgens are "normal" -- even though we have lower androgens than males, we tend to have worse acne post-teens compared to males bc we are more sensitive to androgens or small changes in levels. (This is my understanding, anyway!) I wonder if women who flush + particularly who flush in late twenties + thirties + beyond - when estrogen/progesterone ratio might be increasing - that we are just more sensitive to estrogen + its blood vessel dilation effects?

(Maybe this is quite obvious to others + I'm just late to the game here!)

And particularly something about having low weight and/or eating disorder and/or high stress personalities maybe predisposes us to getting used to low-ish estrogen and thus being too sensitive to estrogen.

FWIW my flushing + burning was the worst on Xulane patch (estrogen/progesterone birth control, high dose), slightly better but still very bad on Nortrel (not as high hormones as the patch), and best without birth control (though pretty bad during days 12-14).

I have a friend who deals with some flushing + burning (she also has an eating disorder history, now 32 y/o) and she told me that her hormones were low across the board (estrogen, testosterone, etc), but weirdly balanced, with the exception of too low progesterone. I realize that is just one data point (... and an anecdotal one, lol) but it is still interesting to me
    Last edited by laser_cat; 5th March 2018 at 08:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ginaisred View Post
    It is so interesting that all of us seem to have a weight issue. I am very happy for you that you have recovered from your anorexia, but could that have been the cause? People keep telling me my low weight could be a factor. I understand what you mean about the Yasmin, I really don't want to be on it, but when I last saw my dermatologist he said it may help with my hair and also acne. I suffered with hormonal chin painful cysts and have suffered with hair loss. If the hair loss is testosterone related then the Yasmin helps to stop that. I am terrified about coming off it? How did you do that? As I have heard of people having a sudden surge of acne when they come off it? I do think my hair loss may be related more to my low iron, for some reason (even on 3 ferroglobin a day, I can't absorb iron). What is wrong with me and my body??
    Yeah I've gotten off birth control twice before and had some cystic acne (like 3 per cycle vs 0 on the pill) on my jawline ... It normalized over time I think though. Have you tried spironolactone? I think lots of ppl take that on top of Yaz?

Yeah I've gotten off birth control twice before and had some cystic acne (like 3 per cycle vs 0 on the pill) on my jawline ... It normalized over time I think though. Have you tried spironolactone? I think lots of ppl take that on top of Yaz?
    No I haven't but when I mentioned to prof Chu about coming off Yasmin, and how worried I was about getting acne, he mentioned I could start taking spironolactone which could prevent the flare up,,,,possibly. But since I have hairless I need to keep the testosterone at bay with Yasmin for now I think. But I agree with you that people with acne are more sensitive to the male hormone, and perhaps us rosaceans are sensitive to estrogen, and are low weight plays a part.