Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Agnus Castus

Quote Originally Posted by Emz View Post
    Thanks for the tip. I'm taking half the dose (two days so far) as the first day I felt a bit sick but felt fine today. No headaches thankfully. Do you take 100mg twice a day?

That's such great news about your dry eyes. I remember how bad it was when I first took it. I really can't wait to be off it!! I'm down to 2.5 tabs a day. I got my prescription from a different pharmacy recently and the tablets don't have a shiny coating so it's really easy to halve the dose (less crumbs!)

Sent from my SM-G850F using Tapatalk
    Haha less crumby is probably for the best :p

I take 100 mg / day now (pure encapsulations).

Oh My gosh, I've just realised the cause of my dry eyes then (haha), because I take these meds...It is a right pain, I have to use eyedrops everyday. You two are so brave for giving up clonidine. I couldn't stop it as my flushing is still bad, but I do get the awful side effects (hair loss and dry eyes). Glad that you are seeing improvements coming off it though, very happy for you both!!

Anyway, I also take DIM - I take a supplement called Skin Accumax which has been amazing for my chin spots. I too get the painful cystic acne on my chin; I think because my estrogen is low, due to my low BMI. I have heard that Agnus Cactus could help with hormonal chin spots too. Maybe this combo would be good, but honestly the DIM has really helped me. I still get spots though, so I am starting to use Differin as I have a lot of blocked pores (blackheads) on my chin. Please keep me updated on how you get on with Agnus Cactus...?

I am glad we are going through similar things, all my friends seem to have perfect skin and none of the issues we are facing.

Quote Originally Posted by ginaisred View Post
    Oh My gosh, I've just realised the cause of my dry eyes then (haha), because I take these meds...It is a right pain, I have to use eyedrops everyday. You two are so brave for giving up clonidine. I couldn't stop it as my flushing is still bad, but I do get the awful side effects (hair loss and dry eyes). Glad that you are seeing improvements coming off it though, very happy for you both!!

Anyway, I also take DIM - I take a supplement called Skin Accumax which has been amazing for my chin spots. I too get the painful cystic acne on my chin; I think because my estrogen is low, due to my low BMI. I have heard that Agnus Cactus could help with hormonal chin spots too. Maybe this combo would be good, but honestly the DIM has really helped me. I still get spots though, so I am starting to use Differin as I have a lot of blocked pores (blackheads) on my chin. Please keep me updated on how you get on with Agnus Cactus...?

I am glad we are going through similar things, all my friends seem to have perfect skin and none of the issues we are facing.
    Thanks Gina. I think clonidine stopped working for me but I totally understand why you wouldn't want to come off it. Dry eyes are horrid and I'm sorry to hear it's so bad for you.

With AC I've literally not had any acne on my chin or jawline since starting it. I'm hoping the DIM may help with my flushing. 3 days in and I've not had any significant flush so I'm pleased that it's not effected me negatively. Fingers crossed this continues!

I agree at its such a relief to talk to people experiencing similar things

Sent from my SM-G850F using Tapatalk

Hi Gina, Hope your new job is going ok + you're rockin it! I'm looking at job interviews soon I think and am trying to mentally prepare myself for the burning ahh!

Like Emz, I think the clonidine just wasn't working for me anymore. There was a time last year when I was on it and really I don't think my flushing+ burning could have been any worse So that made it easier to try to come off I think, for me.

I am wondering if you ever considered birth control / hormones for your skin? I am guessing you have but am curious to hear your thoughts on it. My derm/obgyn suggested I try nuva ring to get low-ish steady hormones because it seems like my body actually DOES NOT like lots of estrogen haha (in terms of the flushing and burning...). I think that's why my derm suggested I try DIM (to help metabolize estrogens or something).

I wonder how low BMI relates to all this rosacea stuff (esp. for females). Out of all my friends/acquaintances in real life, I only know of 2 women around my age who also struggle with flushing + burning and they (like me) coincidentally have a history of eating disorders. Maybe issues such as low BMI makes our hormones start to drop sooner than average? Throws our heat-conserving/heat-releasing abilities out of whack? Low body fat makes us more sensitive to even small hormone changes? I wish more was known on this subject. Or just more was known on female hormones in general lol! For some reason the medical world seems to be lagging in this area ...

I hope the differin helps you. Yes, thankful for this forum, where ppl can sympathize with one another, keeps me from going crazy :p

Quote Originally Posted by laser_cat View Post
    Hi Gina, Hope your new job is going ok + you're rockin it! I'm looking at job interviews soon I think and am trying to mentally prepare myself for the burning ahh!

Like Emz, I think the clonidine just wasn't working for me anymore. There was a time last year when I was on it and really I don't think my flushing+ burning could have been any worse So that made it easier to try to come off I think, for me.

I am wondering if you ever considered birth control / hormones for your skin? I am guessing you have but am curious to hear your thoughts on it. My derm/obgyn suggested I try nuva ring to get low-ish steady hormones because it seems like my body actually DOES NOT like lots of estrogen haha (in terms of the flushing and burning...). I think that's why my derm suggested I try DIM (to help metabolize estrogens or something).

I wonder how low BMI relates to all this rosacea stuff (esp. for females). Out of all my friends/acquaintances in real life, I only know of 2 women around my age who also struggle with flushing + burning and they (like me) coincidentally have a history of eating disorders. Maybe issues such as low BMI makes our hormones start to drop sooner than average? Throws our heat-conserving/heat-releasing abilities out of whack? Low body fat makes us more sensitive to even small hormone changes? I wish more was known on this subject. Or just more was known on female hormones in general lol! For some reason the medical world seems to be lagging in this area ...

I hope the differin helps you. Yes, thankful for this forum, where ppl can sympathize with one another, keeps me from going crazy :p
    Hey, I start this Monday coming, and I am starting to freak out. Driving up North tomorrow to where I will be living but there is seriously bad snow with us at the moment, and concerned that will halt it. Rosacea is freaking out, as per. Good luck with the interviews, we can do it. I think sometimes it is about getting used to the environment. So long I have tried to avoid hot environments, and when I do go in them I flush. But maybe if we challenge ourselves, our skin may get used to it. I doubt it but I can't live doing nothing forever. I will keep you updated about the job though, and please do the same with you. It is nice to be able to talk to someone when we are worried.

Hmm, I already take Yasmin because I lost my periods. Maybe the whole thing with weight is to blame, but I do eat a lot, although healthy I am eating more. I have put on some weight recently which is good. When I asked Prof Chu about having low estrogen and rosacea, he said that it is normally high estrogen that can have an affect, not low. Or testosterone is an issue. I really don't know though, as surely in the menopause you get hot flushes too, and thats low estrogen....? The DIM seems to do something with estrogen, and I actually don't think it is good for those with low oestrogen, I think it is the other way around. However, it has helped my chin acne, so I will probably continue to take it. I think you are right though, I think low estrogen and a low weight must have something to do with rosacea, perhaps we are more sensitive. Also, I am obviously not in the CORRECT weight since I don't get periods, and maybe my body is unhappy and rosacea is it telling me to put on weight. I really don't know to be honest...

If you are in your 40s - peri Menopause - Yasmin might be too much and itís making you estrogen dominant. Yes, estrogen declines in our 40s but progesterone declines at a more rapid rate. Try a lower dose estrogen plus a progesterone cream (not the pills). I use Vivelle Dot (0.1mg) for estrogen and then apply progesterone cream for the second half of the month.

Make sure you get your hormones tested by someone who knows what they are doing before starting any hormone meds. Some obgynís specialize in bio identical hormone replacement. Sounds like you could benefit from this over Yasmin which is high dose synthetic estrogen.

Quote Originally Posted by sg321 View Post
    If you are in your 40s - peri Menopause - Yasmin might be too much and itís making you estrogen dominant. Yes, estrogen declines in our 40s but progesterone declines at a more rapid rate. Try a lower dose estrogen plus a progesterone cream (not the pills). I use Vivelle Dot (0.1mg) for estrogen and then apply progesterone cream for the second half of the month.

Make sure you get your hormones tested by someone who knows what they are doing before starting any hormone meds. Some obgynís specialize in bio identical hormone replacement. Sounds like you could benefit from this over Yasmin which is high dose synthetic estrogen.
    Hi, thanks but I am only 25, so not yet menopausal although the hot flushes from rosacea sure feel like it. Gah this disease is horrid

Hi, thanks but I am only 25, so not yet menopausal although the hot flushes from rosacea sure feel like it. Gah this disease is horrid
    Regardless, your estrogen dose of the Yasmin could be too high.

Gravesí disease, which is hyperthyroidism, causes weight loss and night sweats. Perhaps you could check for this if you havenít already. I got Graves at 25 and had these symptoms, but not rosacea at the time.

Best of luck to you.

Quote Originally Posted by sg321 View Post
    Regardless, your estrogen dose of the Yasmin could be too high.

Gravesí disease, which is hyperthyroidism, causes weight loss and night sweats. Perhaps you could check for this if you havenít already. I got Graves at 25 and had these symptoms, but not rosacea at the time.

Best of luck to you.
    That is really interesting, thank you for letting me know. Will bring this up with Prof Chu when I next see him. I have had my thyroid checked and all seems fine though, but you never know.

Just thought I'd put this here -

Does anyone feel like they are running on adrenaline around days 12-14 (just prior to ovulation) of their cycle? It can happen mid-morning, or mid-afternoon. It's like I have a lot of nervous energy for no reason (no caffeine) and am flushing + burning (can't sit down). It seems to pass in a couple hours. The flushing usually starts with the chest, then spreads to torso/face.

I did some genetic testing and apparently I have a hard time metabolizing histamine (rs2052129(A;A)). Not sure how much faith/weight to put into genetic information (it's tempting ... esp. since it got other things "right" like blue eyes, English ancestry, etc lol .. but it's good I think to be skeptical of some of the association studies they do) But I wonder if the "nervous energy" feeling I get just prior to ovulation is sort of a histamine/mast cell - related side effect of high estrogen (or not enough progesterone).

So, I guess I'm just wondering if anyone has noticed anything similar / has any thoughts on this To emphasize, the nervous energy feels out of my control, and happens every menstrual cycle that it pretty much reminds me I'm near ovulation :p