Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Agnus Castus

Quote Originally Posted by ginaisred View Post
    No I haven't but when I mentioned to prof Chu about coming off Yasmin, and how worried I was about getting acne, he mentioned I could start taking spironolactone which could prevent the flare up,,,,possibly. But since I have hairless I need to keep the testosterone at bay with Yasmin for now I think. But I agree with you that people with acne are more sensitive to the male hormone, and perhaps us rosaceans are sensitive to estrogen, and are low weight plays a part.
    Spiro can help hairloss and acne.

Regarding low weight, when I was severely anorexic, I did not have rosacea. I was pale. Two years after achieving my ideal weight, I get rosacea. So, weight has no bearing on my particular condition, though that is just me.

I thought coming off my bio identical hormones could have played a role in starting rosacea, but alas, I have been back on them for several months now with little improvement with redness/flushing. I do think hormones play a role for some, however.

Gina—. I can say that in the past, my hairloss issues were always related to overactive thyroid and low ferritin/iron levels. If your ferritin is under 50, you will not have a full head of hair. You must have the dr check ferritin. You are likely not absorbing food well if you have trouble gaining weight, which is of course a gut function issue. Again, I highly recommend ensuring first that your thyroid and ferritin are at optimal levels first. Bio identical hormones agreed with me much more than the pill You can take spiro with hormones, but pregnancy is not an option on spiro. Plus, when you go off of it, you will experience a dramatic shed that is highly disconcerting.

Quote Originally Posted by sg321 View Post

Regarding low weight, when I was severely anorexic, I did not have rosacea. I was pale. Two years after achieving my ideal weight, I get rosacea. So, weight has no bearing on my particular condition, though that is just me.

I thought coming off my bio identical hormones could have played a role in starting rosacea, but alas, I have been back on them for several months now with little improvement with redness/flushing. I do think hormones play a role for some, however.
    Hi sg321! That's interesting you think coming off your hormones triggered your rosacea. My flushing/burning came out of nowhere right after I "quit" my birth control pill (2 years ago). Going back on the same pill several months later (just trying to undo everything haha) made me so much worse.

One of my contacts from eating disorder treatment center had severe flushing onset after she stopped her hormones as well. We think the timing and similarity of our conditions (probably more similar to erythromelalgia than rosacea) is just too much to be coincidental

She and I both were at a healthy weight at the time of our flushing/burning onset. My sense is even a prior eating disorder history / low weight though -- perhaps compounded with the use of some type of hormone therapy -- set the stage for flushing/burning ... whether by mucking up our hormone sensitivity, mucking up our ability for temperature control/heat release (eg, a major major rebound after the raynauds that comes with severely low weight..) or something else

How soon after stopping your hormones did you notice your rosacea starting, can I ask?

My derm agreed to test my hormones at day 14 of my cycle, which I appreciate -- I think more data never hurts things

best wishes xx

Gina—. I can say that in the past, my hairloss issues were always related to overactive thyroid and low ferritin/iron levels. If your ferritin is under 50, you will not have a full head of hair. You must have the dr check ferritin. You are likely not absorbing food well if you have trouble gaining weight, which is of course a gut function issue. Again, I highly recommend ensuring first that your thyroid and ferritin are at optimal levels first. Bio identical hormones agreed with me much more than the pill You can take spiro with hormones, but pregnancy is not an option on spiro. Plus, when you go off of it, you will experience a dramatic shed that is highly disconcerting.
    You are right - my iron stores / transferrin saturation is still too low. I can't absorb iron. I think you're right regarding the gut issues too, I have them also. I need to probably put on weight and up the iron stores. Thank you for your advice, I think you are right

My new office is so hot, I have such red cheeks. Apparently in the Summer it is even worse, gah. Fed up of this disease ruining my life

Quote Originally Posted by laser_cat View Post
    Hi sg321! That's interesting you think coming off your hormones triggered your rosacea. My flushing/burning came out of nowhere right after I "quit" my birth control pill (2 years ago). Going back on the same pill several months later (just trying to undo everything haha) made me so much worse.

One of my contacts from eating disorder treatment center had severe flushing onset after she stopped her hormones as well. We think the timing and similarity of our conditions (probably more similar to erythromelalgia than rosacea) is just too much to be coincidental

She and I both were at a healthy weight at the time of our flushing/burning onset. My sense is even a prior eating disorder history / low weight though -- perhaps compounded with the use of some type of hormone therapy -- set the stage for flushing/burning ... whether by mucking up our hormone sensitivity, mucking up our ability for temperature control/heat release (eg, a major major rebound after the raynauds that comes with severely low weight..) or something else

How soon after stopping your hormones did you notice your rosacea starting, can I ask?

My derm agreed to test my hormones at day 14 of my cycle, which I appreciate -- I think more data never hurts things

best wishes xx
    Hi Laser Cat! I noticed flushing about 5 months after stopping the hormones. The flushing came every few months, typically as a result of heat. The flushing subsided relatively fast, so I thought nothing of it. Then I started to notice more redness and sensitivity about 11 months after coming off of the hormones. I worked hard to heal my skin barrier this past year. Skin is still sensitive, but not as much. The redness persists and seems to get worse, however, and the flushing is typically heat/light/stress related.

Also, a few months after rosacea diagnosis, I noticed that my hands/feet can get really red. Doc says it’s Raynauds, though they get red regardless of temperature and don’t look like other pics on the internet. Aside from exercise, which makes me flush and breakout, I have no clue how to help my circulation.

Another thing I wonder about is antidepressants. I have been on one form or another for over 20 years, and insisted on coming off Prozac once I got rosacea because I wanted to “normalize” my body, to see what my steady state was. I’ve been off the Prozac for over a year and rosacea just gets worse. I wonder if my brain/body somehow doesn’t know how to function without them....this is what I discovered with hormones. After so many years of replacing my hormones with drugs, I think my body couldn’t fully pull it together to optimally manufacture them on their own. Wondering if it’s the same with brain chemicals. I will ask my doc.

Wishing everyone long-term relief from this condition!

Hi Laser Cat! I noticed flushing about 5 months after stopping the hormones. The flushing came every few months, typically as a result of heat. The flushing subsided relatively fast, so I thought nothing of it. Then I started to notice more redness and sensitivity about 11 months after coming off of the hormones. I worked hard to heal my skin barrier this past year. Skin is still sensitive, but not as much. The redness persists and seems to get worse, however, and the flushing is typically heat/light/stress related.

Also, a few months after rosacea diagnosis, I noticed that my hands/feet can get really red. Doc says it’s Raynauds, though they get red regardless of temperature and don’t look like other pics on the internet. Aside from exercise, which makes me flush and breakout, I have no clue how to help my circulation.

Another thing I wonder about is antidepressants. I have been on one form or another for over 20 years, and insisted on coming off Prozac once I got rosacea because I wanted to “normalize” my body, to see what my steady state was. I’ve been off the Prozac for over a year and rosacea just gets worse. I wonder if my brain/body somehow doesn’t know how to function without them....this is what I discovered with hormones. After so many years of replacing my hormones with drugs, I think my body couldn’t fully pull it together to optimally manufacture them on their own. Wondering if it’s the same with brain chemicals. I will ask my doc.

Wishing everyone long-term relief from this condition!
    Hi sg321 -

Thanks for your reply. I noticed my flushing almost immediately after I stopped birth control, ~2 weeks? It came out of nowhere and onset was not gradual. Interesting about your hands/feet. If I stay up too late, my feet can throb + burn a little, but it's not a problem. My hands are always fluctuating from cold to pulsing red, but fortunately there is never pain there. If I raise my hand, I have an immediate sense of coolness and can see all the blood drain ... until I lower it.

I'm probably driving myself crazy trying to figure out patterns + similarities between all of us, lol ;)

I too wondered something similar - maybe my body just got so used to these chemicals and doesn't know what's normal without them? I was on - like you - one antidepressant or another - for many years. A derm thought I had serotonin syndrome and that was causing the flushing so she suggested I come off. I did, and the flushing I believe got worse, but it was not immediate. The flushing then became a 24/7 worry as opposed to evening worry, but hard to say what's to blame for that. I've since went back on them. A "regular" dose of antidepressant (I tried paxil, mirtazpine, and effexor singly) doesn't help my flushing really, but am finding mirtazapine + effexor together to be helpful.

To me it makes sense that your body (or anyone's really) will "rebound" from going off antidepressants. I also think that the taper schedule often recommended by psychiatrists are way.too.fast. When I tapered off mine, I crashed and burned big time (mood-wise) 2 months down the line. My friend did a year-long taper off of hers (her own idea), and she even struggled with that.

I have no problem being on pills for the rest of my life honestly ... just desperate to get my life back if you know what I mean!! My overall plan though is to just try and get as healthy as I can (mentally, food, meditate, etc etc) and give my body the best chance to recover from this, coupled with time. I am not nearly as bad as I was at my flushing onset, so that makes me hopeful I can have even more improvement

BTW - I saw an acupuncturist recently who told me his colleague went to a conference about unusual things that happen to women after hormones -- I thought that was crazy -- aren't all the potential side effects supposed to be in that stupid pamphlet?? Apparently not?? Makes me think of the Puerto Rico trials for contraceptive use some 50-60 years ago, in how 3 deaths in the were not reported at the time + considered "circumstantial" (ignoring estrogen effect on blood clots)

best wishes
    Last edited by laser_cat; 12th March 2018 at 10:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ginaisred View Post

My new office is so hot, I have such red cheeks. Apparently in the Summer it is even worse, gah. Fed up of this disease ruining my life
    I feel for you Gina I hope your body is able to adjust to the office temp over time. Hang in there

I feel for you Gina I hope your body is able to adjust to the office temp over time. Hang in there
    Thank you. Two fingers to this condition. It has taken up so much of my life already

Heh well I tried progesterone cream 2x/day (during luteal phase) and after a few days my flushing/burning flared up. Probably not the wisest move lol. Maybe it was too much progesterone for me, or my body doesn't like either estrogen OR progesterone ... oh well. It took about 2 days to calm down

Just thought I'd give a quick AC update. I switched to 400mg of AC (actual berry rather than extract) for a month and I don't feel it was working as well. I had no reduction in PMT symptoms however my skin has still been acne free (except for a single cystic spot. I had none when taking the extract). I've gone back to 4mg extract as I feel it's more beneficial. I'm not sure if the DIM is doing much yet bit it's still early days. It's impossible to say if either are helping with my flushing; it's been quite good the last few weeks however my work stress has significantly reduced so it is probably that!

Sent from my SM-G850F using Tapatalk

Heh well I tried progesterone cream 2x/day (during luteal phase) and after a few days my flushing/burning flared up. Probably not the wisest move lol. Maybe it was too much progesterone for me, or my body doesn't like either estrogen OR progesterone ... oh well. It took about 2 days to calm down
    Hi Lizzy,

I gather from your posts that your cycle is pretty regular? If so, you may not need the progesterone cream. Regardless, maybe go to a dr who will test your hormone levels via urine or saliva tests. IMO, hormones should not be messed with unless you have tests done that will guide you in the right dosage direction.

Hopefully your flushing has settled down!
    Best wishes!