Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Agnus Castus

Default Agnus Castus

Has anyone else had success using agnus castus? I've been taking it for 2 and a half months now for PMT. Before starting it I was getting large deep (cystic?) spots on my chin and jaw (for about the last 6 months). I always had two or three at any time and I've been left with scars as they were so deep. Unexpectedly I've not had a single spot since starting agnus castus. I primarily have type 1 with flushing - the agnus castus has not helped or exacerbated my flushing/redness. I presumed the spots were related to my rosacea but maybe not. Could have just been to do with my hormones but thought I'd share in case it can help someone. It seems to help with my PMT too which is a blessing!

Sent from my SM-G850F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Emz View Post
    Has anyone else had success using agnus castus? I've been taking it for 2 and a half months now for PMT. Before starting it I was getting large deep (cystic?) spots on my chin and jaw (for about the last 6 months). I always had two or three at any time and I've been left with scars as they were so deep. Unexpectedly I've not had a single spot since starting agnus castus. I primarily have type 1 with flushing - the agnus castus has not helped or exacerbated my flushing/redness. I presumed the spots were related to my rosacea but maybe not. Could have just been to do with my hormones but thought I'd share in case it can help someone. It seems to help with my PMT too which is a blessing!

I have not tried agnus castus but was looking into it again recently. That's great how it's helped your cystic acne.

Have you ever had your hormones tested? (Ie, how did you know you had PMT)

I can get a couple pimples before my period (jawline), which started after I went off birth control. Maybe a cystic spot (which always leaves a mark..) 6 weeks ago I recently started evening primrose oil but was thinking of switching to / or adding AC, because it seemed better. (I didn't and don't know what I'm doing lol!) Last menstrual cycle I thought I noticed improvement in skin texture and had no acne. Though that might be due to other factors (coming off clonidine + improving circulation).

The EPO doesn't negatively affect flushing.

I have marked for myself long ago the thread below - (I'm a similar age as GreenGables)

https://rosaceagroup.org/The_Rosacea...401#post309401

So trying to support progesterone somehow while limiting adverse estrogen effects has been on my radar ... I might be grasping at straws but don't want to leave any stone unturned...

I also take DIM supplement (helps estrogen metabolism), recommended by derm.

How much of the AC do you take? Keep us posted

Quote Originally Posted by laser_cat View Post
    I have not tried agnus castus but was looking into it again recently. That's great how it's helped your cystic acne.

Have you ever had your hormones tested? (Ie, how did you know you had PMT)

I can get a couple pimples before my period (jawline), which started after I went off birth control. Maybe a cystic spot (which always leaves a mark..) 6 weeks ago I recently started evening primrose oil but was thinking of switching to / or adding AC, because it seemed better. (I didn't and don't know what I'm doing lol!) Last menstrual cycle I thought I noticed improvement in skin texture and had no acne. Though that might be due to other factors (coming off clonidine + improving circulation).

The EPO doesn't negatively affect flushing.

I have marked for myself long ago the thread below - (I'm a similar age as GreenGables)

https://rosaceagroup.org/The_Rosacea...401#post309401

So trying to support progesterone somehow while limiting adverse estrogen effects has been on my radar ... I might be grasping at straws but don't want to leave any stone unturned...

I also take DIM supplement (helps estrogen metabolism), recommended by derm.

How much of the AC do you take? Keep us posted
    Thanks, it was a nice surprise for it to have this effect. I had my hormones tested about 2 years ago and all was okay. However I'm 42 now so maybe they have changed. PMT for me presents with all the usual symptoms including mood changes and I've had it all my adult life. My periods have also been less painful since taking AC but that could be a coincidence.

I've also just started EPO about a week ago because, well why not! I'm planning on reducing my clonidine further in the next few weeks, quite looking forward to it (although I do get a little nervous!) I'm glad to hear you've seen improvements, it's always so difficult to work out the cause!

What is DIM? I've not read the linked thread but will do so tomorrow, thanks.

I started taking 4mg extract from boots but have recently swapped to 400mg AC (not extract) which is possibly stronger and will see how that goes (in helping PMT). Dosage is very confusing and recommendations really vary. I'd be interested to hear if it helps you too

Thanks, it was a nice surprise for it to have this effect. I had my hormones tested about 2 years ago and all was okay. However I'm 42 now so maybe they have changed. PMT for me presents with all the usual symptoms including mood changes and I've had it all my adult life. My periods have also been less painful since taking AC but that could be a coincidence.

I've also just started EPO about a week ago because, well why not! I'm planning on reducing my clonidine further in the next few weeks, quite looking forward to it (although I do get a little nervous!) I'm glad to hear you've seen improvements, it's always so difficult to work out the cause!

What is DIM? I've not read the linked thread but will do so tomorrow, thanks.

I started taking 4mg extract from boots but have recently swapped to 400mg AC (not extract) which is possibly stronger and will see how that goes (in helping PMT). Dosage is very confusing and recommendations really vary. I'd be interested to hear if it helps you too

DIM = Diindolylmethane (I think I spelled that right lol ... can google "DIM supplement" if you want to read more!) Stuff you get from broccoli/brussel sprouts.

Good luck with the clonidine in the next few weeks! My hair along the hairline has been growing back shortly after I got off, I'm so glad it was able to grow back

What's interesting to me is that flaxseed (either oil with lignans, or ground flaxseed) makes me much worse flushing-wise. Consistently. Fish oil is fine (or at least not appreciably worse). I've always wondered if it's the estrogen-like effects somehow with flaxseed. I'm really not even sensitive to diet modifications at all, so this was a surprise and I tested it twice just to be sure.

The other thread I linked to made me wonder if I need more progesterone to balance out the estrogen. It's a bit counterintuitive that greengables thought her clock flushing was helped by a cocktail of things that really would enhance metabolism/make her warmer (thyroid, vit A, progesterone cream).

Yes, will give the AC a try in a couple of weeks. Thanks for info on your dose + glad I'm not the only one to think it's a tad confusing

DIM = Diindolylmethane (I think I spelled that right lol ... can google "DIM supplement" if you want to read more!) Stuff you get from broccoli/brussel sprouts.

Good luck with the clonidine in the next few weeks! My hair along the hairline has been growing back shortly after I got off, I'm so glad it was able to grow back

What's interesting to me is that flaxseed (either oil with lignans, or ground flaxseed) makes me much worse flushing-wise. Consistently. Fish oil is fine (or at least not appreciably worse). I've always wondered if it's the estrogen-like effects somehow with flaxseed. I'm really not even sensitive to diet modifications at all, so this was a surprise and I tested it twice just to be sure.

The other thread I linked to made me wonder if I need more progesterone to balance out the estrogen. It's a bit counterintuitive that greengables thought her clock flushing was helped by a cocktail of things that really would enhance metabolism/make her warmer (thyroid, vit A, progesterone cream).

Yes, will give the AC a try in a couple of weeks. Thanks for info on your dose + glad I'm not the only one to think it's a tad confusing
    I've had a read up about DIM and it sounds good. Do you think I could use it as well as AC?

That's great news about your hairline. Quick question, when you got down to a lower dose how slowly did you come off it? I was previously reducing my dose by half a tablet (25mcg tabs) every week or 2 but now I only take 3 tabs a day cutting tablets by half is a reducing my daily dose by a higher percentage. I hope that makes sense! I'm almost definitely over thinking this but the rebound is a b***h!

I've never really experimented with flaxseed. I don't think diets affects me much either although eating often does - presumably temperature or a spike in blood sugar maybe. I honestly struggle to get my head around hormones. I have no clue what AC is actually doing to them. I should really read up more on it but it's such a minefield! Balancing hormones? I just tried to read up on flaxseed and I read that it will either increase or decrease estrogen depending on your need. It's all too much information on to many sites for my tired brain to take in after a day at work

Re. Dose of AC, the 400mg tablets are twice a day. I've not notice a difference swapping from the 4mg extract to 400mg actual AC but it's early days. I'll feedback if there appears to be any difference.

I've had a read up about DIM and it sounds good. Do you think I could use it as well as AC?

That's great news about your hairline. Quick question, when you got down to a lower dose how slowly did you come off it? I was previously reducing my dose by half a tablet (25mcg tabs) every week or 2 but now I only take 3 tabs a day cutting tablets by half is a reducing my daily dose by a higher percentage. I hope that makes sense! I'm almost definitely over thinking this but the rebound is a b***h!

I've never really experimented with flaxseed. I don't think diets affects me much either although eating often does - presumably temperature or a spike in blood sugar maybe. I honestly struggle to get my head around hormones. I have no clue what AC is actually doing to them. I should really read up more on it but it's such a minefield! Balancing hormones? I just tried to read up on flaxseed and I read that it will either increase or decrease estrogen depending on your need. It's all too much information on to many sites for my tired brain to take in after a day at work

Re. Dose of AC, the 400mg tablets are twice a day. I've not notice a difference swapping from the 4mg extract to 400mg actual AC but it's early days. I'll feedback if there appears to be any difference.

Yeah lol I'm not completely sure what the flaxseed was doing -- but have a hunch it was either increasing or decreasing estrogen ... so one extreme or another lol :p My guess is it was boosting estrogen for me. It's hard for me to handle higher-dose estrogen birth control (my flushing gets severely worse) and also days 10-14 during the menstrual cycle (when estrogen is peaking).

I believe AC helps to boost progesterone (eg, sometimes it helps ppl get pregnant). Just ordered some, will update if I notice anything either way from it!

RE: clonidine, I didn't know what to do at that point as well without turning a pill into crumbs lol! What I did was took away the 2nd 25 mcg of the day (since some people do take it twice and not three times a day), then I took away the morning dose, and finally I took away the evening dose. Evening was last to go since I am worst in the evening. I agree in waiting ~a week between decreases to ride out the resulting rebound, if any. My rebound didn't happen the same day as a dose decrease, it took a few days to happen (and I didn't notice a rebound for every dose decrease). But as you know everyone is different!

PS - I'm not totally sure, but I think the EPO is making my breasts slightly bigger lol. I thought I was crazy until I googled it and found I wasn't alone!
    Last edited by laser_cat; 14th February 2018 at 11:34 PM.

Yeah lol I'm not completely sure what the flaxseed was doing -- but have a hunch it was either increasing or decreasing estrogen ... so one extreme or another lol My guess is it was boosting estrogen for me. It's hard for me to handle higher-dose estrogen birth control (my flushing gets severely worse) and also days 10-14 during the menstrual cycle (when estrogen is peaking).

I believe AC helps to boost progesterone (eg, sometimes it helps ppl get pregnant). Just ordered some, will update if I notice anything either way from it!

RE: clonidine, I didn't know what to do at that point as well without turning a pill into crumbs lol! What I did was took away the 2nd 25 mcg of the day (since some people do take it twice and not three times a day), then I took away the morning dose, and finally I took away the evening dose. Evening was last to go since I am worst in the evening. I agree in waiting ~a week between decreases to ride out the resulting rebound, if any. My rebound didn't happen the same day as a dose decrease, it took a few days to happen (and I didn't notice a rebound for every dose decrease). But as you know everyone is different!

PS - I'm not totally sure, but I think the EPO is making my breasts slightly bigger lol. I thought I was crazy until I googled it and found I wasn't alone!
    That interesting. I came off the pill about 5 years ago and haven't tried it since. It's not effective as a contraceptive for me so aside from helping with PMT there didn't seem a point. That was before I developed rosacea. Glad do hear you've ordered some AC and I really hope it helps. That sounds familiar about progesterone. I wish I could have got my hormones tested before and after trying these things so I could see what difference it makes.

Thank you for your advice re coming off clonidine. I had a laugh when you said about the pill becoming crumbs. Halving the tablets can end up like a pile of crumbs which is a little ridiculous! I think I'll stop worrying about rebound and just continue the way I've was doing previously. You seem to have managed it really well which is reassuring!

Haha! That's a surprising side effect of EPO! I found the opposite with AC although that could be because I lost some weight from having flu after Christmas. So many variables!

I've started taking DIM after reading up in it. I'll report back if it has any positive effects

I've started taking DIM after reading up in it. I'll report back if it has any positive effects

Good luck! I found I had headaches initially for the first few days (common temporary side effect), so I just halved the dose for a while before going to the recommended dose. (just in case that happens to you!)

One thing i am noticing after being off clonidine for ~4 weeks : OMG my eyes are lubricated again! I never knew how dry they were while on clonidine, I think! I'm guessing the EPO might be helping a bit with this too.

Good luck! I found I had headaches initially for the first few days (common temporary side effect), so I just halved the dose for a while before going to the recommended dose. (just in case that happens to you!)

One thing i am noticing after being off clonidine for ~4 weeks : OMG my eyes are lubricated again! I never knew how dry they were while on clonidine, I think! I'm guessing the EPO might be helping a bit with this too.
    Thanks for the tip. I'm taking half the dose (two days so far) as the first day I felt a bit sick but felt fine today. No headaches thankfully. Do you take 100mg twice a day?

That's such great news about your dry eyes. I remember how bad it was when I first took it. I really can't wait to be off it!! I'm down to 2.5 tabs a day. I got my prescription from a different pharmacy recently and the tablets don't have a shiny coating so it's really easy to halve the dose (less crumbs!)