Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Is this possible Demodex?

Just back from the derms

She now doesnt think its seb derm (based on the above pics) and the fact that the redness seems to come and go fairly swiftly

She used a word begging with an A to describe what type of reaction im having - increased citrizine to 2 per day, so she thinks its hystamine related

Also prescribed Elidel for scaliness

I did mention demodex - she asked if its itchy before it flares, yes....she thinks its not demodex related

She did say if this doesnt work then she will get me to come along to a mixed session to see if her colleagues have any differing opintions

So, I'll try what she says....atleast this time I felt listened to

An allergic reaction?

Elidel cream contains pimecrolimus, which is an immunosuppressant like steroids, except it functions differently and doesn't come with the side-effects that chronic steroid use has, so it's definitely a safer option to go with, but again, it's treating the symptoms (an immune reaction) rather than the cause. That said, it might be useful to use it while treating with a topical agent that would inhibit the demodex population, because if it is indeed demodex-related, the Elidel cream might help to calm the inflammation that will result from the die-off.

Quote Originally Posted by sejon View Post
    An allergic reaction?

Elidel cream contains pimecrolimus, which is an immunosuppressant like steroids, except it functions differently and doesn't come with the side-effects that chronic steroid use has, so it's definitely a safer option to go with, but again, it's treating the symptoms (an immune reaction) rather than the cause. That said, it might be useful to use it while treating with a topical agent that would inhibit the demodex population, because if it is indeed demodex-related, the Elidel cream might help to calm the inflammation that will result from the die-off.
    no it wasnt allergic reaction - id have remember that one!

I really cant remember, but she said on the 'A' scale, you are towards the mild/moderate level

She said the redness is very transient, which is not like seb derm or eczema would be

Next appoint in 3 months

I will continue to use Eurax cream while I wait for the doctor to sort out the Elidel

I received myEucerin Derato clean cleanser today too

So will cleanse with that--> apply Eurax--> once dry apply some hyaluronic acid serum and finished with La Rochay Posay Kerium DS

Default Is this possible Demodex?

It's demodex in my opinion and the itchiness before the flares is one of the typical symptoms. Either way, keep zz cream on your to-do list (and if you use it, do so on wet face).
    I am against both pimecrolimus and corticoids.

Quote Originally Posted by MariaSt View Post
    It's demodex in my opinion and the itchiness before the flares is one of the typical symptoms. Either way, keep zz cream on your to-do list (and if you use it, do so on wet face).
    I am against both pimecrolimus and corticoids.
    Ive ordered it. I will continue with citrizine and Eurax cream (only on 3rd day of eurax so far too early to tell)

ZZ cream should hopefully arrive this week and so should the script for Elidel

Im praying this works

I wish you the best. This condition is manageable with a little bit of patience and persistence.

how long after starting Eurax should you notice any changes?

this will be day 4 - my forehead is really quire red/blotchy and quite sensitive this morning

Is this too early, or some of the mites have started to die off?

Thanks

Cal

It is early, but not unusual. It could be die off.

Maybe you should be spot testing the eurax. Instead of you whole forehead maybe just 1/4.

If you read the reviews on amazon there is a percentage of people who donít react well to it.

Piroctone Olamine seems effective just slower.
    Last edited by MrRed77; 23rd January 2018 at 02:47 PM.

The dermatologist diagnosis Iím guessing was atopic eczema/Dermatitis could be right. Sometimes harsh surfactants like SLS or SLES can damage a healthy skin barrier. When you shower make sure not to get shampoo on your forehead. Shampoos have harsh surfactants. Did she ask you what cleansers, shampoos or moisturizers you are using?

Piroctone Olamine seems effective for both Seb Derm and demodex just slower than ivermectin. The cleanser does not have harsh surfactants.

Elidel is the standard treatment for atopic eczema. It does lower the immune defenses against demodex unfortunately.

http://www.dermatol-sinica.com/web/d...8512115755.pdf

Cerave cream helps repair the skin barrier.