Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Is this possible Demodex?

Default Is this possible Demodex?

Hi all,

Ive been battling this weird skin, mostly forehead condition for nigh on 2 years, and its driving me bloody crazy

Woke up one night 2 years ago and pretty much out the blue my forehead was covered in red sort of spots (this was about 3am).....freaked out, I thought id have to certainly take the day off work

When I got up again at 7 am it was massively subsided

Ever since then my forehead has been red, flaky, and very sensitive. Ive been to the dermatogist twice....1st time she just said dry skin, moisturise and come back in 4 months. That did not help and 4 months later she said it could be seb derm - nothing they can do, use Daktacourt and Daktrin - nothing really had a great effect (Daktacourt for a short while with redness to be fair, but it always came back within a week or so). Im seeing her again on Monday

Now, sometimes my forehead can be OK (altho its pretty much always got a weird texture, like its raised, snakeskin or something)

You can kind of see that here - altho the redness is pretty much OK

IMG_7253.jpg

Now here a pic from work yesterday - my skin was not bad at all in the morning, then out the blue at lunch time - this happened:

IMG_7393.jpg

Now, Sat morning my forehead looks OK again. I cant find pictures online that directly match what I have - could it be demodex/is it worthwhile trying ZZ cream?

This is right now - some 20 hours after my flare at work

IMG_7400.jpg
    Last edited by callum_62; 20th January 2018 at 09:22 AM.

The majority of dermatologists are ill-informed when it comes to these conditions, and your experience of being told it's simply dry skin and being prescribed a steroid is unfortunately standard practice, as frustrating as it is. I can speak from personal experience.

I can't provide a diagnosis, but I can at least make some comments. Symptoms of seb derm tend to appear very gradually, which contrasts with what you say about the very sudden appearance of these spots. Also, the redness with seb derm tends to be more diffuse rather than "spotty". That said, the medications you were prescribed -- miconazole and hydrocortisone -- wouldn't be able to treat the condition even if it were seb derm, since the anti-fungal miconazole is not effective against Malassezia, and steroids simply suppress the immune system and don't address the cause.

Your suspicion that demodex might be the culprit seems to be on the right track, and even if it's wrong, then it would still have been worth it to rule it out. Demodex can be treated with acaricidals like ivermectin, permethrin, 10% crotamiton, and sulphur (which is in the ZZ cream you mention). The downside is that if demodex is indeed the problem, the symptoms will get worse before they get better, because successful treatment will result in the mites dying off en masse, and the bacterial waste that they release upon death will cause an inflammatory reaction.

Quote Originally Posted by sejon View Post
    The majority of dermatologists are ill-informed when it comes to these conditions, and your experience of being told it's simply dry skin and being prescribed a steroid is unfortunately standard practice, as frustrating as it is. I can speak from personal experience.

I can't provide a diagnosis, but I can at least make some comments. Symptoms of seb derm tend to appear very gradually, which contrasts with what you say about the very sudden appearance of these spots. Also, the redness with seb derm tends to be more diffuse rather than "spotty". That said, the medications you were prescribed -- miconazole and hydrocortisone -- wouldn't be able to treat the condition even if it were seb derm, since the anti-fungal miconazole is not effective against Malassezia, and steroids simply suppress the immune system and don't address the cause.

Your suspicion that demodex might be the culprit seems to be on the right track, and even if it's wrong, then it would still have been worth it to rule it out. Demodex can be treated with acaricidals like ivermectin, permethrin, 10% crotamiton, and sulphur (which is in the ZZ cream you mention). The downside is that if demodex is indeed the problem, the symptoms will get worse before they get better, because successful treatment will result in the mites dying off en masse, and the bacterial waste that they release upon death will cause an inflammatory reaction.
    Thanks for this Sejon - I was just saying to my partner that if I can get my skin back to normal, it would be life changing for the way I feel.....I can hardly remember what it was like to not always check the mirror.....feel an itch and think oh no....wonder what it will look like when I check

Ive just went out and purchased Eurax cream (10% Crotamiton) and also ordered the ZZ cream

fingers crossed, even if it gets worse in the short term, then long term it gets fixed

Ive actually got a dermatologist appoint on Monday (about 4 or 6 months since the previous one), so will be interesting what they say

Default Piroctone olamine

Washing with piroctone olamine cleanser got rid of the weird texture on my forehead in two days. My Meibomian Glands started unplugging in the one eye that had redness along the lash line. My forehead still gets blotchy after showering and settles down after an hour. For me the mustache area is the biggest challenge with burning.

Iíve read that selenium sulfide and sulfur has been used in the past for demodex. I think oral ivermectin is probably the best. Iíve contemplated taking my dogs ivermectin since most doctors just push soolantra which will probably make Seb Derm worse Iím guessing.

Quote Originally Posted by MrRed77 View Post
    Washing with piroctone olamine cleanser got rid of the weird texture on my forehead in two days. My Meibomian Glands started unplugging in the one eye that had redness along the lash line. My forehead still gets blotchy after showering and settles down after an hour. For me the mustache area is the biggest challenge with burning.

Iíve read that selenium sulfide and sulfur has been used in the past for demodex. I think oral ivermectin is probably the best. Iíve contemplated taking my dogs ivermectin since most doctors just push soolantra which will probably make Seb Derm worse Iím guessing.
    Hi,

Ive been using Eucerins ultra sensitive cleansing lotion

would this cleanser be better?

https://www.eucerin.co.uk/products/d...cleansing-milk

Yup thatís the one Iím using. The piroctone olamine is used as a preservative and not the active ingredient so I guess itís under 0.5. Iíve only used it for 2 weeks but after 6 months of weird texture on my forehead itís now smooth after two washes. I still get blotchy after showering so I think I need something more. Ideally it would be 1 to 1.5 percent piroctone olamine. I also wash face with Mustela cradle cap shampoo with climbazole. My Seb Derm is back under control.

I was clear of Seb Derm for 7 years with pyrithione zinc but I damaged my skin barrier and I suspect demodex got out of control so Iíd like two doses of ivermectin and add sulfur cleanser possibly Asepxia Acne Facial Cleanser. That will be me strategy.

Iím curious if that eurax is irritating. I canít handle anything in mustache area itís too sensitive. Is Eurax over the counter in the U.K.? I think here in the US itís prescription only. I donít even think itís used here.

I would not use ZZ cream itís made in China thereís no safety regulation.

If youíre going to the Derm ask for demodex testing. If you have excessive amounts then 2 to 4 oral ivermectin doses, low dosage doxy to make the die off less noticeable and sulfur cleanser to exfoliate off the die off as well as kill off the remaining stragglers.
    Last edited by MrRed77; 21st January 2018 at 01:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by MrRed77 View Post
    I would not use ZZ cream itís made in China thereís no safety regulation.
    Shush.
    How I was cured from Demodectic / Demodex Rosacea (Types 1 & 2 & nearing 3), Seborrhoeic Dermatitis and Eczema

Got a smartphone? Then please post a non-revealing pic of your face/skin to www.imgur.com, instead of using walls of text to describe it to us. It may be the best thing you've ever done!

Quote Originally Posted by RedRecluse View Post
    Shush.
    your for ZZ cream?

I did order some.

Be interesting what the Derm says tomorrow - I've hope I don't have that 'fobbed off' feeling after leaving tomorrow

I started the Eurax on Saturday - obviously far too early to tell anything....ive definitely felt some weird tingle/tickles feelings on my forehead though

Im just hoping I feel more cared about/looked at tomorrow - and since literally nothing has worked, im hoping she will test for demodex and/or give me oral ivermectin
    Last edited by callum_62; 21st January 2018 at 10:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by callum_62 View Post
    your for ZZ cream?

I did order some.

Be interesting what the Derm says tomorrow - I've hope I don't have that 'fobbed off' feeling after leaving tomorrow

I started the Eurax on Saturday - obviously far too early to tell anything....ive definitely felt some weird tingle/tickles feelings on my forehead though

Im just hoping I feel more cared about/looked at tomorrow - and since literally nothing has worked, im hoping she will test for demodex and/or give me oral ivermectin
    Absolutely. ZZ Cream denialists really make me laugh. Read through my thread, for example. The benefit of sulphur/sulfur against Demodex Mites (and on skin in general) is well known.

Don't expect much from your derm. I would cancel and save your money if possible. You will learn far more on this forum.
    How I was cured from Demodectic / Demodex Rosacea (Types 1 & 2 & nearing 3), Seborrhoeic Dermatitis and Eczema

Got a smartphone? Then please post a non-revealing pic of your face/skin to www.imgur.com, instead of using walls of text to describe it to us. It may be the best thing you've ever done!

Quote Originally Posted by RedRecluse View Post
    Absolutely. ZZ Cream denialists really make me laugh. Read through my thread, for example. The benefit of sulphur/sulfur against Demodex Mites (and on skin in general) is well known.

Don't expect much from your derm. I would cancel and save your money if possible. You will learn far more on this forum.
    Its free (NHS), so I stick with it - I hope its not a waste of time like the last 2 though. It is frustrating waiting 4-6 months between appointments though

Surely, since we are 18 months in and literally nothing has worked/made any difference (except HC until a few days after I stop it) then she will be open to something different?

The more I read online the less i think I have serb derm -lots of people seem to have theres under control/it rears its head for a bit then settles (for a reasonable amount of time) -and even my redness looks different from what I see online

My symptoms arent really like that