Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I finally understand the Cause of Type 2 rosacea

Default I finally understand the Cause of Type 2 rosacea

So I've come to realize what I believe is the route cause of type 2 rosacea. I believe that when you have papulopustular rosacea (Type 2), the route cause is that you have a decreased water barrier in parts or all of your face. This is probably due to having decreased melanin protection form the sun, and the sun slowly disintegrates your face's collagen and natural water barrier. This is also why people with type 2 rosacea have significant heat sensitivity, as there is not an adequate water barrier.

Because of the decreased water barrier, anything that creates dryness to your face (largely heat, wind, etc) will lead your face to try to protect itself where there is no adequate water barrier. It does this by firing up the sebaceous glands an pumping up the oil secretion in an attempt to create a barrier and protection for the skin (as there is not an adequate water barrier there). The more the oil pumps are on, the more this leads to papules and pustules.

The more we subject our faces to things that create a drying effect, the worse our symptoms will be. This also has created a lot of confusion (at least for me) with regards to what my "triggers" are. For example, if I take a hot shower in the summertime, it doesn't really trigger papules/pustules. But if I take a hot shower in the wintertime, my skin gets so flared up with papules and pustules. The reason for this is that in the summertime, just the hot shower (although it does create a drying effect) is ok because that is the only thing creating dryness. In the wintertime however, you get a drying effect from the cold air and wind outside, and then I get the hot shower creating dryness, and then the indoor heat from the heater adding more dryness, and this is too much dryness for my skin to handle and the oil pumps work overtime trying to create more of a protective barrier that my skin lacks. I think this is why type 2 rosacea can be very confusing for many, as any one of these factors alone may not be enough to create symptoms, but when they are compounded, they triggers symptoms. So after many years of trying to figure this out, I now believe that the "triggers" are anything that creates a drying effect on the face. Anything that creates a "flush" will add dryness, as the increased blood flow to the face creates a heating effect which will lead to more dryness. Heat = dryness. But for me, the "triggers" that add the most dryness are extreme cold air, wind, indoor heat, fireplaces, how showers, and it's when these are combined that I get papules and pustules.

For a while, I believed that oily skin and increased sebaceous gland function was the route cause of my symptoms. I now believe that the increased oiliness in my "T-zone" where i get symptoms is due to the fact that I don't have an adequate water-barrier (which I believe is due to the sun exposure I got year ago whereby the UV rays disintegrated my collagen and water barrier), and my face is trying to protect itself form the heat/dryness by pumping more oil to it.

So realizing this and why the triggers that create dryness are what trigger my papules/pustules, I've been able to control these factors moreso, and it just feels good to finally understand what is going on with type 2 rosacea. It's much less mysterious now if you understand that this is what's happening when your skin breaks out. I feel like I have more control over it.

For daily regime and treatments, I've experimented around a lot. My current regime is to wash my face with neutral/cool water with Aveeno ultra-calming foam gently morning and evening (and after sports or exercise). I then use metrogel just to keep inflammation low. Then I use Cerave pm moisturizer. The I use Elta spf 41 over everything. I feel that this combination helps to reduce inflammation, keep skin hydrated, and protect against UV rays. This in combination with reducing my exposure to all of the "triggers" which dry out the face seems to keep things well controlled. It's nice to finally feel as though I have a true understanding of type 2 rosacea, and I thought that I'd pass this along so that others can help understand it more.

I apologize if I don't respond to anything posted after this, I really don't come on here much as I feel that I have a good understanding of things now and don't need any more info. Unless someone comes up with a treatment to replenish and/or replace our water barriers permanently, then what I currently use to keep symptoms at bay will have to suffice. I hope that this helps anyone trying to understand and control type 2 rosacea.

Oh, and before I forget, one other thought on lasers and IPL and such. Because "flushing" increases blood flow and creates a heating effect which will of course lead to dryness of the face which = papules and pustules, I believe that having Vbeam and IPL does knock type 2 rosacea back a notch temporarily, as less blood vessels = less heat = less dryness = less papules and pustules. So I think it's good for maintenance and I have gotten Vbeam every other year for the last 18 years.

I used to think that the blood vessels where the cause of the rosacea, but I now believe that the blood vessels grow in to try to protect your face because of the decreased water barrier. And again, the increased blood vessels much like the skin's oiliness is a symptom of the underlying cause which is a decreased water barrier (likely from not having adequate melanin and UV protection form the sun).

The same triggers cause more redness to me. This theory correlates with the drummond's, he was also talking about not properly digested food. The question is, if we ensure we get hydrated enough "from inside", will our body restore the water barrier over time?

Babadah, I'm talking type 2 rosacea, not just type 1 with redness. Type 1 rosacea to me is just people who genetically have more vasculature in their face, but probably have an adequate water barrier so they don't get the acne component of papules and pustules (That's just my opinion of course).

With regards to the whole digestive tract and food thing and SIBO, anything that makes you flush will for aforementioned reasons contribute to a flare up. The funny thing with the SIBO studies where the participants were treated with Azithromycin, is that Azithromycin will likely clear up any acne whether or not you have SIBO. I think it's much more likely that people with type 2 rosacea have more stress and are more prone to eating junk food...hence the increased correlation with SIBO.

I'm not sure if this is what you were implying with the digestive tract. In any case, keeping hydrated is always good but once your water barrier has been destroyed, it's not coming back. Maybe they can one day use a laser or do some kind of injections to help restore it, but once it's gone, it's gone. In my humble opinion, restoration of the water barrier will be the only true cure for type 2 rosacea. Until then, they'll keep trying to intervene down the causative line and give medications that help to interfere with the formation of papules and pustules, but these medications won't hit the root cause of the problem.
    Last edited by dram; 17th January 2018 at 03:23 AM.

I think the both types are somehow related, (I mostly have type 1 but sometimes type 2)
    You may be right in that the body tries to compensate for the hydration either by over-activating sebaceous glands or sending more blood to the face.
    The digestive thing I mentioned was not concerning SIBO but an old member of here somewhat cryptic theory, in summary it said that the body could not activate sweat glands on the face, because of improper fat digestion. The cure consisted in avoiding diuretic drinks, fat and something else.

Quote Originally Posted by dram View Post
    So I've come to realize what I believe is the route cause of type 2 rosacea. I believe that when you have papulopustular rosacea (Type 2), the route cause is that you have a decreased water barrier in parts or all of your face. This is probably due to having decreased melanin protection form the sun, and the sun slowly disintegrates your face's collagen and natural water barrier. This is also why people with type 2 rosacea have significant heat sensitivity, as there is not an adequate water barrier.

Because of the decreased water barrier, anything that creates dryness to your face (largely heat, wind, etc) will lead your face to try to protect itself where there is no adequate water barrier. It does this by firing up the sebaceous glands an pumping up the oil secretion in an attempt to create a barrier and protection for the skin (as there is not an adequate water barrier there). The more the oil pumps are on, the more this leads to papules and pustules.

The more we subject our faces to things that create a drying effect, the worse our symptoms will be. This also has created a lot of confusion (at least for me) with regards to what my "triggers" are. For example, if I take a hot shower in the summertime, it doesn't really trigger papules/pustules. But if I take a hot shower in the wintertime, my skin gets so flared up with papules and pustules. The reason for this is that in the summertime, just the hot shower (although it does create a drying effect) is ok because that is the only thing creating dryness. In the wintertime however, you get a drying effect from the cold air and wind outside, and then I get the hot shower creating dryness, and then the indoor heat from the heater adding more dryness, and this is too much dryness for my skin to handle and the oil pumps work overtime trying to create more of a protective barrier that my skin lacks. I think this is why type 2 rosacea can be very confusing for many, as any one of these factors alone may not be enough to create symptoms, but when they are compounded, they triggers symptoms. So after many years of trying to figure this out, I now believe that the "triggers" are anything that creates a drying effect on the face. Anything that creates a "flush" will add dryness, as the increased blood flow to the face creates a heating effect which will lead to more dryness. Heat = dryness. But for me, the "triggers" that add the most dryness are extreme cold air, wind, indoor heat, fireplaces, how showers, and it's when these are combined that I get papules and pustules.

For a while, I believed that oily skin and increased sebaceous gland function was the route cause of my symptoms. I now believe that the increased oiliness in my "T-zone" where i get symptoms is due to the fact that I don't have an adequate water-barrier (which I believe is due to the sun exposure I got year ago whereby the UV rays disintegrated my collagen and water barrier), and my face is trying to protect itself form the heat/dryness by pumping more oil to it.

So realizing this and why the triggers that create dryness are what trigger my papules/pustules, I've been able to control these factors moreso, and it just feels good to finally understand what is going on with type 2 rosacea. It's much less mysterious now if you understand that this is what's happening when your skin breaks out. I feel like I have more control over it.

For daily regime and treatments, I've experimented around a lot. My current regime is to wash my face with neutral/cool water with Aveeno ultra-calming foam gently morning and evening (and after sports or exercise). I then use metrogel just to keep inflammation low. Then I use Cerave pm moisturizer. The I use Elta spf 41 over everything. I feel that this combination helps to reduce inflammation, keep skin hydrated, and protect against UV rays. This in combination with reducing my exposure to all of the "triggers" which dry out the face seems to keep things well controlled. It's nice to finally feel as though I have a true understanding of type 2 rosacea, and I thought that I'd pass this along so that others can help understand it more.

I apologize if I don't respond to anything posted after this, I really don't come on here much as I feel that I have a good understanding of things now and don't need any more info. Unless someone comes up with a treatment to replenish and/or replace our water barriers permanently, then what I currently use to keep symptoms at bay will have to suffice. I hope that this helps anyone trying to understand and control type 2 rosacea.
    Very interesting post
    Much appreciated!

No skeptics?

This may all be well and true for some /many people, but rosacea is a not one disease, it's 10s or 100s. There are a lot of people who have gone into remission or helped themselves through curing SIBO, sorting their diet and hormones, and lots of other treatment options.

However, if you've found the cause and the cure for yourself, that is great news! All power to you and anyone else who benefits from the advice.

Maybe. And Demodex Mites.
    How I was cured from Demodectic / Demodex Rosacea (Types 1 & 2 & nearing 3), Seborrhoeic Dermatitis and Eczema

Got a smartphone? Then please post a non-revealing pic of your face/skin to www.imgur.com, instead of using walls of text to describe it to us. It may be the best thing you've ever done!

Interesting about the showers for you in summer vs. winter. I have sub 1 rosacea and am very ignorant on sub 2 rosacea, but I have met someone who has evening flushing (like me) as well as pustules/bumps. She said she visited costa rica (hot / humid) and her flushing which she experienced everyday, was gone (not sure about her bumps). She had 3 theories - the climate, the lack of stress, the fresh food. But my hunch is the climate more than anything.

I notice that I am best in a hot/humid environment (like a hot steamy shower/bath ... no matter the season), and have noticed that for some other pp they prefer summer over winter. I don't *think* I have any problems with my skin/skin barrier per se, so my theory has been the summer gives us light cues that can help us with our serotonin and circadian rhythm, but your idea is good too. I tend to think these things are more complex/multi-factorial than we think they are, so my hunch is that it's not really one thing, ever.

I'm curious if you ever tried soolantra? Another thought is a humidifier might be helpful